Sponsored By:

Removing Steering Wheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 10:43 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Removing Steering Wheel Cover

Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel cover (the thing you hit to sound the horn, and behind which is the driver airbag module). I’ve got a subtle rattle behind the cover and don't want to waste my time bringing the car to the shop only for the tech to say he doesn’t hear it. Something may be loose that needs tightening. Should be easy to remedy. But there are no screws that I can see, and I don’t want to start messing with the cover to pry it off because I just know I’ll ruin something or mar the steering wheel or cover and then I’ll have to look at that for the next few years. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel cover (the thing you hit to sound the horn, and behind which is the driver airbag module). I’ve got a subtle rattle behind the cover and don't want to waste my time bringing the car to the shop only for the tech to say he doesn’t hear it. Something may be loose that needs tightening. Should be easy to remedy. But there are no screws that I can see, and I don’t want to start messing with the cover to pry it off because I just know I’ll ruin something or mar the steering wheel or cover and then I’ll have to look at that for the next few years. Thanks.
That IS the airbag module. You insert a flathead screwdriver in to the small holes you see around 4 o’clock and 7 o’clock (with the flat of the blade aligned parallel to the steering wheel axis) and push inward towards the airbag module. This pops out a spring loaded clip in each side and the airbag module will pop out. Careful, as the airbag is still connected...
Old 12-17-2019, 11:46 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 387 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
That IS the airbag module. You insert a flathead screwdriver in to the small holes you see around 4 o’clock and 7 o’clock (with the flat of the blade aligned parallel to the steering wheel axis) and push inward towards the airbag module. This pops out a spring loaded clip in each side and the airbag module will pop out. Careful, as the airbag is still connected...
If you do this, its usually recommended to disconnect your battery first for safety with the airbag.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:33 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts

Thanks, Mech33 and meyecul. Given your cautions, I think I’ll not play mechanic and instead take the car in for service. I’m fairly handy at fixing things, but without a service manual it seems that working with or around an airbag module probably isn’t the smartest thing to do.
The following users liked this post:
normp (12-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Removing Steering Wheel Cover