Sponsored By:

2020 Cayenne COUPE standard "Warn and Brake Assist"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 06:57 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2020 Cayenne COUPE standard "Warn and Brake Assist"

Will the standard Warn and Brake Assist bring the car to a complete stop by itself if the driver is not paying attention and about to rear end the car in front? The PUSA site is vague about what the system does on purpose. Do I really need the InnoDrive / ACC option in order to have the automated emergency braking feature? Thanks.

Last edited by rennlistfan; 12-05-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 101 Posts

I do not think that this standard option involves stopping until it stops completely.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 AM
integrale
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From the 2019 Cayenne Brochure -
Warn and Brake Assist. The Warn and Brake Assist, included as standard, reduces the risk of collisions with vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, in accordance with system limitations. Using the front camera, the system detects vehicles, pedestrians or cyclists in the collision area and warns the driver visually and audibly in the first stage. In the second stage, the system also uses a jolt of the brakes to alert the driver if the vehicle is moving too quickly towards vehicles, pedestrians or cyclists. If necessary, any braking action taken by the driver is then increased to full braking. If the driver does not respond, the system performs an automatic emergency stop to reduce the consequences of a collision or to avoid this entirely.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:35 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetta
I do not think that this standard option involves stopping until it stops completely.
I heard it can stop the car completely. Luckily, though, I have no first-hand knowledge.
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-18-2020)
Old 12-08-2019, 01:01 AM
KT88
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the radar system included with ACC makes a crucial difference. Audis, without a doubt, will stop from over 60 mph, in my personal experience, with no driver intervention even with ACC inactive. Given the few warnings and brake jolts I’ve experienced in my Cayenne, I believe my Porsche will perform the same as an Audi will given the same conditions.

I should add, these are moving vehicles in front of the vehicle that are sensed and then tracked; not stationary vehicles on the side of the road or even the last of a line of vehicles stopped in the roadway.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have acc but never use it.
i believe the two are independent. I.e. you do not need acc for car to engage PAS.
What happens when car detects a potential impending collision (you can also adjust sensitivity for this) is the a warning sign alerting to collision danger appears in left binnacle simultaneously with a chime and shortly thereafter a jolt on the brakes if you’ve haven’t already started braking. Additionally, in incremental weather / low visibility, with night vision option, and where a pedestrian is detected (say on the side of the road) the car will automatically start up night vision in right binnacle with pedestrian flagged between parallel upright white lines and body mass in yellow.
Sobrut911 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 01:24 AM
KT88
Advanced

Originally Posted by Theodor
I have acc but never use it.
i believe the two are independent. I.e. you do not need acc for car to engage PAS.
What happens when car detects a potential impending collision (you can also adjust sensitivity for this) is the a warning sign alerting to collision danger appears in left binnacle simultaneously with a chime and shortly thereafter a jolt on the brakes if you’ve haven’t already started braking. Additionally, in incremental weather / low visibility, with night vision option, and where a pedestrian is detected (say on the side of the road) the car will automatically start up night vision in right binnacle with pedestrian flagged between parallel upright white lines and body mass in yellow.
https://www.porscheirvine.com/resear...ctive-safe.htm

Quoting, in pertinent part ...

”For 2019, the Porsche Active Safe system is available as an optional extra for Porsche 911, Porsche 718, Porsche Macan, Porsche Cayenne, and Porsche Panamera models equipped with Adaptive Cruise Control.”
Old 12-09-2019, 03:51 AM
integrale
Intermediate

Warn and Brake Assist is standard on all E3 Cayennes and uses the front camera. It will perform an automatic emergency stop if necessary.
Porsche Active Safe uses the ACC radar and is presumably a more sophisticated system.
In general, Porsche's explanation, naming and documentation of its options and systems (not just the ones relevant to this thread) and the interdependency between them is confusing, ambiguous, incomplete and sometimes apparently contradictory.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 AM
KT88
Advanced

To the OP, up to you if you think the below mentioned system meets your needs. ACC with PAS seems to more appropriately meet what you are looking for.

According to Porsche, in the USA, Warn and Brake Assist is for detecting pedestrians and cyclists up to speeds of 53mph.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/legal-notice/

Quoted, in pertinent part:

WARN AND BRAKE ASSIST (COLLISION AND BRAKE ASSIST)
  1. Warn and Brake Assist cannot prevent most collisions, although it may help to reduce their severity.
  2. In addition, Warn and Brake Assist may not detect every object in the road.
  3. The system may not operate if certain evasive maneuvers are performed by the driver.
  4. The system is available as of walking speed and can react to pedestrians or cyclists up to a speed of approximately 53 mph.
  5. The function may be restricted or unavailable up to 10 seconds after establishing operational readiness, and other instances.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM
integrale
Intermediate

Interesting that the US Legal Notice section on Warn and Brake Assist doesn't include mention of other vehicles, which are explicitly mentioned in other sources.
Audi provides more detailed description of the same system, that is presumably shared within the VAG- vehicles being detected up to a closing speed of 155mph, though as the camera version only sees 330' ahead, it isn't guaranteed to react in time to completely avoid a collision. Links- Audi forum & Audi assistance systems descriptions
Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 AM
KT88
Advanced

I agree seems Audi the more revealing of in-depth details for these kind of subsystems than Porsche though I am certain I have read that the ACC (PAS)/(Audi Braking Guard) systems across VAG are Bendix or Bosch developed equipment. Software may vary though ... so who knows. They get more out of that windshield mounted cam than they used to for sure. In this instance it relies on detecting objects becoming larger as the car approaches as opposed to ACC using radar to sense change in distance and velocity.
hjk3 (12-12-2019)

Quick Reply: 2020 Cayenne COUPE standard "Warn and Brake Assist"