Sponsored By:

Heated Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Binary
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heated Windscreen

Am I missing the point or is the heated windscreen one of Porsche’s greatest confidence tricks..
I ordered this thinking I would get a quick screen demise but all it seems to do is direct the heating to the screen, like I could do if I wanted to without the option
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Binary
Am I missing the point or is the heated windscreen one of Porsche’s greatest confidence tricks..
I ordered this thinking I would get a quick screen demise but all it seems to do is direct the heating to the screen, like I could do if I wanted to without the option
Not to be trite, but I think "confidence tricks" could be applied to nearly the entire Porsche options list. They grabbed $23K of my hard-earned money for options that are standard on entry-level Hyundais...
Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I got the heated front windshield on my 2019 Macan, and it works well. When you push the rear-window defrost/defog button, it also turns on the front windshield defrost/defog, which uses silver coatings in the windshield (no obvious wires) to quickly defog or defrost the windshield without using the conventional front-windshield air defroster/defogger. It both works faster and it does it without the noise of the air blowing, which I like a lot. I will order it on all future cars that have it as an option. I've not yet had the chance to use mine to defrost (it defogs very well), but I did try the feature on frost/ice on a 2019 Cayenne at a dealership this past February in sub-freezing weather, and that's what got me to order it. Plus, it gives a cool goldish coating to the front windshield that also helps keep UV radiation out and keep the car cooler in summer. My only problem is that I learned the hard way that the tinted/silvered glass also prevents my EZPass transponder from registering automatically at toll gantries on tollroads, so I had to get a special EZPass to put on my front license plate.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought the heated windshield on my 2020 cayenne and love it. Sounds like JCWLS3 ought to read the manual. The heated windshield turns on with the other electrically heated glass items such as the rear window and mirrors. I think that Porsche could have made the icon a little more informative as it just says “rear” when it does so much more. There is also an embedded wire in the windshield wipers as per the MANUAL that helps the wipers break loose from ice. I get a kick from those who complain about the cost of options in a Porsche, I have no problem with it! If you want a Hyundai then buy a Hyundai nobody twisted your arm to by a Porsche. I love the quality and ability to configure the Porsche how I like and it does cost money for Porsche to offer and break the assembly line to allow us to configure as we like. Anyway, I do not buy Porsche’s because they are cheap like Hyundia’s they are simply the best sporting automobile on the market. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

Quick Reply: Heated Windscreen