Sponsored By:

Air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 PM
jkjjpc
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Air suspension

I’m confused about air suspension. The E-hybrid comes standard with PASM. Does the air suspension allow further altering ride comfort, or simply adjusting ride height?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Binary
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is that PASM effectively monitors ride condition and alternates the shock absorbers (dampers) between normal and sport stiffness settings, it does this by adjusting the oil pressure within the damper assembly.
Air suspension adds to this by replacing the oil damped shocks with a 3 chamber air suspension system, this system allows for a greater range of stiffness/comfort setting and also allows for adjusting the ride height of which I believe there are something like 6 or 7 different settings in total.

I suspect the greater degree of control that the air suspension system offers to PASM will make for a more comfortable drive and also will make the car handle better too
Old 10-08-2019, 11:56 AM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjjpc
I’m confused about air suspension. The E-hybrid comes standard with PASM. Does the air suspension allow further altering ride comfort, or simply adjusting ride height?
PASM seems similar to BMW's M Adaptive Suspension (if you're familiar with that). I had a chance to test drive 2 different E Hybrids this past Friday, one with the standard PASM set up, and one with Air Suspension and PDCC. The PASM handles nicely, but very firm, the Air Suspension is on a whole different level, much smoother but not floaty at all. PDCC makes it a very sure footed, and capable ride. I came away from the test drives knowing that the almost $6000 in handling upgrades is worth it if you have it in your budget, although I think that PASM improves the ride and handling greatly.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM
SpyderD
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Air suspension does not replace shocks in the standard suspension, it replaces the standard coil springs. The shocks still have adjustable damping. The air suspension provides the ability to not only change ride height but also to stiffen/soften the ride by increasing/reducing the spring rate. The air suspension also provides greater insulation from road irregularities and road/tire noise. Overall, air suspension provides a quieter, more comfortable ride for daily use/cruising with the option to lower and stiffen the suspension for better handling. Oh and you can also raise the car for off-road clearance as well, not to mention lowering the car to allow easy loading/unloading of the cargo area.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:02 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderD
Air suspension does not replace shocks in the standard suspension, it replaces the standard coil springs. The shocks still have adjustable damping. The air suspension provides the ability to not only change ride height but also to stiffen/soften the ride by increasing/reducing the spring rate. The air suspension also provides greater insulation from road irregularities and road/tire noise. Overall, air suspension provides a quieter, more comfortable ride for daily use/cruising with the option to lower and stiffen the suspension for better handling. Oh and you can also raise the car for off-road clearance as well, not to mention lowering the car to allow easy loading/unloading of the cargo area.
Have the Air suspension and can tell you it's worth the price of admission!!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Read through this thread. It may prove helpful.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-reviews.html

For us, we've driven 9Y0 Cayennes with and without PASM, and with and without Air Suspension. When we were considering ordering an S, we'd decided PASM with Air was the must-have combo. We have it on our Turbo, of course. We wouldn't buy another Cayenne without it. The combo is that good.

Quick Reply: Air suspension