Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Toll-transponder problems with new heated windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:53 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Toll-transponder problems with new heated windshield?

I posted this on the Macan section of Rennlist, but thought I'd post it here also, since the 2019 Cayenne also started allowing the option of getting the new heated windshield...

In June I acquired my 2019 special-order Macan, and I ordered a heated windshield with it. (For those unfamiliar, this is the first year that Porsche has offered the new wireless, silver-coated heated windshield developed by the VW Group, which gets rid of frost, ice, snow, and condensation without using blown air, and presumably much more quickly.) But I noticed that my EZ-Pass transponder doesn't work very well through this glass, whereas it works fine in our other cars that have no special front-windshield coatings. At first I thought the battery had gone on the transponder, but that does not seem to be the case. Has anybody else gotten the new heated windshield and had a chance to try toll transponders behind it? (From what I've seen on dealer lots, very few Porsches seem to be ordered with the new heated windshield. So I'm guessing that few Rennlist members are going to be responding to this.)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Otakar Sroubek
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any cutouts near the top of the windshield for a transponder to be placed? I have that on my current car with heated windscreen (Range Rover Sport) on either side of the mirror, but mine has the fine wires and I’m interested in the version on the Cayenne. As far as performance, it works very well!
Old 09-07-2019, 03:15 PM
OC_Tony
Cruisin'

I know on the Cayenne configurator, in the section for the new noise insulated glass it has a caveat :

"Note: Thermally & noise insulated glass may reduce mobile phone reception. Please refer to owners manual for details regarding proper toll road device placement."

Looks like its true. Can you check the OM for more info on placement?

Last edited by OC_Tony; 09-07-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 PM
TuckerNH
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my state you can ask EZ Pass for a transponder that attaches to the front license plate which may circumvent your problem. They don't really advertise it. Maybe your state does too.
The following users liked this post:
OC_Tony (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:20 PM
OC_Tony
Cruisin'

In my part of California the license plate reading tech is so good they eliminated transponders all together. They developed it to stop the cheaters and then decided it was good enough for the good guys too. Well, that's for casual use anyway.

I found this on the toll roads website:
Do sticker transponders work on metalized windshields?
You can request an external headlamp sticker transponder by logging into your account at TheTollRoads.com. Once logged in, select “Transponders”...

Not sure what that looks like though.

Last edited by OC_Tony; 09-09-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

You need the license plate version. Pretty common issue fortunately. Any vehicles with heated windshields will need them.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:17 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
You need the license plate version. Pretty common issue fortunately. Any vehicles with heated windshields will need them.
Yep, got it, thanks... (see attached photo)

Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 PM
midwesterner
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't realize this was an issue. I hope I can find a solution that does not require drilling a front plate in my bumper
Old 11-23-2019, 12:38 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m curious does the heated windshield have any negative impact on radar detectors.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:37 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Yes I have heated windshield and noise insulated glass. Put your transponder in the marked spot around the rear view mirror. Works every time. Outside that spot it does not.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:46 AM
midwesterner
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Yes I have heated windshield and noise insulated glass. Put your transponder in the marked spot around the rear view mirror. Works every time. Outside that spot it does not.
I tried this and my toll transponder didn't work. Could you perhaps show a pic?
Old 12-23-2019, 08:14 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by midwesterner
I tried this and my toll transponder didn't work. Could you perhaps show a pic?
Sorry forgot to get back to you. Here's a pic, it's edited to show the coloured area better. Look at purplish area, used arrows to show it. This area is on both sides of the rear view mirror assembly.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Toll-transponder problems with new heated windshield?