Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Homelink Garage Door Opener Wont Pair

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Adding this link to a similar thread on 2018 Panamera's issues with Homelink paring as a reference.

There is some discussion here of the Lane Change Assist feature interfering with the programming of the GDO; the conclusion being they operate at the same frequency. The thread suggests temporarily removing two fuses to disable LCA, to allow pairing of Homelink:

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post14974248
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Kaiser_Soze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took a few tries with my Cayenne, I followed the manual word for word but no luck either! I have a rolling code, and finally got it to work by pressing the opener button AND the 1 button (while it's orange) AT THE SAME TIME! with the GDO remote close to the rear-view mirror.
It doesn't mention doing that at all in the manual or the app, give that a try. GL
Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts
Default New 2019 Cayenne S owner - Adding my $0.02..

So after several failed attempts, this is what worked for me for my 2019 Cayenne S:

1. Programming the Garage Door Opener (GDO) that has a rolling code (Genie). After pressing the remote button that I wanted to program and starting the programming by pressing the GDO remote control by pressing the button, the screen stated that it has programmed the code but that the rolling code learning can be done later.

One has to go to the GDO device and press the "LEARN" button to synchronize the rolling code security with that of the Cayenne remote. You have to be fast to get back to your car and press the button so that the rolling codes can be synchronized. Once the Cayenne sync'ed with the GDO learning option, the Cayenne GDO remote control began to work with no issues.

You need to press the button to finish the learning/programming process as shown in the screen..

2. For the gate opener (subdivision gates, etc.), it was a different process, which took me some frustrating days to learn.. For gate openers, when you start the programming within the Cayenne, you need to press the gate opener for about 2 to 3 seconds on and then off, until you get the successful programming message.. If you leave it press all the time during the programming, you will get a failed/retry message. You need to press and released every 2 to 3 seconds so that the Cayenne homelink can learn the proper signal.

I did not have to get out of my vehicle for programming. I just pointed my remote about 6" from the interior homelink remote control buttons..

One thing I noticed is that the signal of the Cayenne remote is not very strong. I have to drive close to the gate opener control box for it to be picked up.. Compared to my old Mercedes SUV and the original remote control where I can be 200 feet and I would be able to open it.. Nothing major, just a different timing..

Hope this helps any fellow driver.. I was a little upset on having to carry my gate opener with me since the homelink could not learn the sequence, but now that I did it, I am a happy camper..Seems like people have different experiences, for different reasons, so please try all provided methods, in case there is one that works for you..
The following users liked this post:
carlvs (12-11-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:27 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
So after several failed attempts, this is what worked for me for my 2019 Cayenne S:

1. Programming the Garage Door Opener (GDO) that has a rolling code (Genie). After pressing the remote button that I wanted to program and starting the programming by pressing the GDO remote control by pressing the button, the screen stated that it has programmed the code but that the rolling code learning can be done later.

One has to go to the GDO device and press the "LEARN" button to synchronize the rolling code security with that of the Cayenne remote. You have to be fast to get back to your car and press the button so that the rolling codes can be synchronized. Once the Cayenne sync'ed with the GDO learning option, the Cayenne GDO remote control began to work with no issues.

You need to press the button to finish the learning/programming process as shown in the screen..

2. For the gate opener (subdivision gates, etc.), it was a different process, which took me some frustrating days to learn.. For gate openers, when you start the programming within the Cayenne, you need to press the gate opener for about 2 to 3 seconds on and then off, until you get the successful programming message.. If you leave it press all the time during the programming, you will get a failed/retry message. You need to press and released every 2 to 3 seconds so that the Cayenne homelink can learn the proper signal.

I did not have to get out of my vehicle for programming. I just pointed my remote about 6" from the interior homelink remote control buttons..

One thing I noticed is that the signal of the Cayenne remote is not very strong. I have to drive close to the gate opener control box for it to be picked up.. Compared to my old Mercedes SUV and the original remote control where I can be 200 feet and I would be able to open it.. Nothing major, just a different timing..

Hope this helps any fellow driver.. I was a little upset on having to carry my gate opener with me since the homelink could not learn the sequence, but now that I did it, I am a happy camper..Seems like people have different experiences, for different reasons, so please try all provided methods, in case there is one that works for you..
We got Mrs TRs picked up on the weekend. We have a rolling code Genie but it won't pair - or at least not using the in car wizard. I sent for a new Genie remote and it arrived today and it took all of about 3 seconds for it to pair up with the garage door opener.

I tried a half a dozen ways. Putting the opener in learn mode first and no go. Then setting the button in the Cayenne but it returns the error that it is not synchronized I tried holding the GDO button at the Homelink and just pressing it and its has never passed the fist stage. I can use the Genie remote - but I'll keep pounding on it here. And see if it takes.

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-24-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Homelink has some different ideas but for a 2018. I can tell this is going to be interesting.

Process: Program a Garage Door Opener
Vehicle: 2018 Porsche Cayenne
Door Opener: Genie

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps. On the garage door motorhead, press and release the learn code button - the red LED will begin to blink.
  5. Get back into your vehicle and press the desired HomeLink button one time.
  6. Press the desired HomeLink button a second time.
  7. Press the HomeLink button a third time. You should see the garage door open/close. HomeLink programming is complete.

If you need further assistance, please call HomeLink® Customer Care
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

That doesn't work ^^^^ either. Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:48 AM
Andy Zheng
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! I see many of you are still having trouble, I've tried programming the homelink more times than I can remember, but was able to do it after following my own steps.

1, Push learn button on the garage door motor, or where ever it is placed (even though the Porsche says it doesn't need to push the learn button, I think its more for the garage motor to know what's going on)

2. Follow the on screen instructions (click configure, hold down button, etc)

3. take the garage door opener and press and hold for three seconds, then rapidly push the button and move the remove around the overhead controls from left to right, up and down.

There are regulations that the remote can only send out a radio signal for a maximum of 3 seconds, which makes me believe Porsche homelink needs more time hence the rapid pressing of the button.

Tip: if it doesn't work, redo steps 1 and 2 but this time take the remote to press the homeland button on the overhead instead of your fingers, press and release every 3 seconds or so.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:37 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Homelink has some different ideas but for a 2018. I can tell this is going to be interesting.

Process: Program a Garage Door Opener
Vehicle: 2018 Porsche Cayenne
Door Opener: Genie
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps. On the garage door motorhead, press and release the learn code button - the red LED will begin to blink.
  5. Get back into your vehicle and press the desired HomeLink button one time.
  6. Press the desired HomeLink button a second time.
  7. Press the HomeLink button a third time. You should see the garage door open/close. HomeLink programming is complete.

If you need further assistance, please call HomeLink® Customer Care
I had to do steps d-g a couple of times on my Genie garage door opener. Have you called Genie to see if they can help? I called them a few years ago and they were very helpful.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:34 PM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default It’s all about proximity

About a dozen times I pressed the “learn” button on my Liftmaster, jumped off the ladder, ran to the Cayenne just outside the garage, and pressed the button twice as instructed. Nothing. No synchronization.

i gave up and put the car back into the garage. After noticing the Liftmaster was just above the sunroof, I thought “one more try”. After putting a towel on the driver’s seat, I opened the sunroof, stood on the seat and pressed the “learn” button. That did it. So if all else fails....get closer.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Porsche has terrible directions for HomeLink. What you guys are missing is that you have to have the ORIGINAL OPENER REMOTE the cheesy one that comes with the garage door opener, and press it near the location of the Homelink, which is in the front bumper. It's in the instructions, but everyone misses this step.

If you are trying to pair between the car and the garage door opener without the original remote it will never hook up. This is a 3-component operation.

1) Your vehicle
2) Original Garage Door remote.
3) Garage Door opener.

Go slow, follow the steps.

I sat out in the driveway about 2 hours with my 911 trying to program it until I finally figured it out, and there it was all the time in the instructions.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Porsche has terrible directions for HomeLink. What you guys are missing is that you have to have the ORIGINAL OPENER REMOTE the cheesy one that comes with the garage door opener, and press it near the location of the Homelink, which is in the front bumper. It's in the instructions, but everyone misses this step.

If you are trying to pair between the car and the garage door opener without the original remote it will never hook up. This is a 3-component operation.

1) Your vehicle
3) Garage Door opener.

I sat out in the driveway about 2 hours with my 911 trying to program it until I finally figured it out, and there it was all the time in the instructions.
Everybody who had finally a successful programming effort have a different story/experience/methodology.. The one common denominator for the successful efforts is to keep trying the same procedures as described in the manuals, as described in the posts, and all personal variations of them..
03clyde (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 PM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

1) Your vehicle
3) Garage Door opener.

You are correct. You need the original remote to start the process. But if the GDO has a rolling code, that’s where it gets tougher. In step 2, Homelink has to sync with the GDO. That’s where proximity comes into play.
The following 2 users liked this post by sidehill:
Henny E (04-12-2020), PorscheACC (09-11-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 AM
YanaQ
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to tell...I just repeat many times..after 3 hours of trying many ways, I finally paired! Good luck
PorscheACC (09-14-2019)
Old 02-22-2020, 03:34 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Well I'll be darned. We moved to a new place a month or so ago. Single car garage, nearer the water. I just tried to pair the GDO (hand held) that came with the Apt to Mrs.Rich's Cayenne, and -- it worked. I have no idea why it is working now. I pretty much just followed the exact same procedure that had not worked with multiple openers. And of course trying it with my sales guy in forecourt of the dealership, to no avail.

But for sure, it is now working. Only thing that might be different is that it went in for it's 10K service, so possibly (?) there was a software module update they snuck in while it was there? I dunno.

But it is working, thank the Lord lol.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:15 PM
TempeAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

weird, but great news ... did your vehicle get a firmware upgrade at the dealer in the intervening time?

Quick Reply: Homelink Garage Door Opener Wont Pair