Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question: IF you have air suspension ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 02:50 PM
KT88
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Question: IF you have air suspension ...

... do you have a preference for chassis height? No matter what driving mode or damper settings? And why?

I think the car looks better down low, 95% of the time. Sometimes I change my mind, thinking it looks like a station wagon, and run it on medium. Sort of schizo on that right now. I do feel that when the dampers are in comfort that the low chassis height stabilizes the car and it does not feel so top-heavy and swaying around a bit. Thoughts appreciated! Thx!
Old 06-25-2019, 03:45 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

We roll low in our Turbo all the time -- much prefer the closed wheel gap. Haven't had a need to raise it, even on the occasional steep parking incline, curb or driveway. But it's good to know it's there.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Take your point regarding ride height but the most important advice is the actual ride comfort .
For example how does AS ride with say 21/22 “ wheels .?
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

There are other threads on this issue -- you'll find some good insights elsewhere. But in our case, we have the 21" performance all-seasons on our Turbo. Individual settings are set to Low ride height and Sport PASM. Ride is firm but controlled, with no discernible float, with decent comfort over some really bad roads in and around Dallas. Cranking PASM back to Nornal, even in the low suspension height settling, really cushes things up. It'd be good for high-speed touring on the highway, and just puddling around town. Normal provides a much more compliant ride -- very comfortable.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 PM
rn2dy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, may I ask: what it feels like having PASM with/out AS. I am not ordering AS because the extra money but still considering having PASM in my base.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:15 PM
trucker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
We roll low in our Turbo all the time -- much prefer the closed wheel gap. Haven't had a need to raise it, even on the occasional steep parking incline, curb or driveway. But it's good to know it's there.
We have been rolling on the low position all the time too on our E-Hybrid but have you ever tried to drive on regular height to see if it was more comfortable? We only have the Cayenne for the past month so we don't have much feedback yet.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:33 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trucker
We have been rolling on the low position all the time too on our E-Hybrid but have you ever tried to drive on regular height to see if it was more comfortable? We only have the Cayenne for the past month so we don't have much feedback yet.
Never have. Comfort has not been an issue for us. The car looks too damned wicked on the Low setting for street use to change. If we ever take it on the trails, we'll raise it up.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:29 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was under the impression you couldn't ride around on the lowest setting with air suspension? was told it only lowered that low when the speed got above a certain speed like 130 mph or something to provide aerodynamics and keep the car low?
Old 10-05-2019, 03:51 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dspvend
I was under the impression you couldn't ride around on the lowest setting with air suspension? was told it only lowered that low when the speed got above a certain speed like 130 mph or something to provide aerodynamics and keep the car low?
You can ride in low all the time and it also has active aero so when it reaches 80MPH it automatically goes into low for.... there is an indicator that shows it going into low after 80...
Old 10-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dspvend
No you can’t, lowest setting is loading level, it will raise over 15km/h
Old 10-09-2019, 05:06 PM
trucker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
No you can’t, lowest setting is loading level, it will raise over 15km/h
Maybe dspvend meant the low position setting on the PCM which is fine to run all the time.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM
KT88
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by trucker
Maybe dspvend meant the low position setting on the PCM which is fine to run all the time.
This +1
Old 10-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Drove a E Hybrid Coupe all day and can assure everyone that the LOW SETTING can be used all day with AIR Suspension..
And the drive comfort was superb .
Shame that the overall ride was not to my liking — poor cornering due to weight — and brakes were a joke .
Plus fuel economy was 24 MPG after 220 miles — so much for ECO Warrior .

Last edited by Jdqt458; 10-10-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 10-12-2019, 02:39 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
There are other threads on this issue -- you'll find some good insights elsewhere. But in our case, we have the 21" performance all-seasons on our Turbo. Individual settings are set to Low ride height and Sport PASM. Ride is firm but controlled, with no discernible float, with decent comfort over some really bad roads in and around Dallas. Cranking PASM back to Nornal, even in the low suspension height settling, really cushes things up. It'd be good for high-speed touring on the highway, and just puddling around town. Normal provides a much more compliant ride -- very comfortable.

Hope this helps.
Can you comment on the degree of "float" with the AS set to "Normal"? I was cross shopping an BMW X5 with AS and in the normal mode it rode like a Buick and was only mildly better in Sport mode - so definitely passing on that vehicle.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

I like a smooth drive and ride, so my preference in smoothness is as follows on my 2019 Cayenne S with air suspension:
  1. Lo height chassis
  2. Medium height chassis - Default
  3. Medium height chassis - Sport shock setting
  4. Lo height chassis - Sport shock setting
  5. Medium height chassis Sport plus shock setting
  6. Lo height chassis - Sport plus shock setting

The high height chassis setting only lasts until the speed gets to around 50 mpg then goes back to medium

The terrain height chassis setting only lasts until the speed gets to around 25 mpg and then goes to high

Quick Reply: Question: IF you have air suspension ...