Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Goodby 2017 Q7, Hello 2019 Cayenne!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:30 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Goodby 2017 Q7, Hello 2019 Cayenne!!

Hi everyone! I just joined the Porsche family and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I was (and still am) a longtime active member over on the Audi World forums (same user name) with my prior vehicle being a loaded 2017 Audi Q7 Prestige and the prior gen Q7 before that. Hopefully this intro is not too long winded (if so just skip to the pics below :-), but thought might be nice to let ya know my story. Also, I know a lot of discussion comes up on Q7 and Q8 vs Cayenne and Macan etc. so as someone now having experience owning both brands I am happy to assist any questions.

After nearly 3 years with my Q7 (many great things like being fantastic highway cruiser, great tech, but not very nimble or engaging dynamics). I was ready for something a bit more sporty to drive. I still needed function as I have two young kids so I came very close to staying Audi and getting either an RS5 Sportback or an S5 Sportback. The RS5 was just too raw for my daily life but the S5, I liked very much. My wife thought I would regret not having a true SUV (it’s all I have ever had) and given I always wanted a Porsche (albeit never thought it would have a hatch, hahah), wanted to give the Cayenne a look. After a standard test drive and then a 24 hour loaner test drive (a big thank you to my dealer for that), I was hooked. While the Cayenne was not the same drive dynamics as the S5 (being a sedan), it still drove remarkably well enough for an SUV to give me what I was looking for.

Now while I would have loved to load up a custom order, I was not thrilled with the wait time and to keep the wife happy, had to stay on a certain budget (is that a real word in the Porsche world :-). Luckily my dealer did have a spec on the lot that I was interested in. It was a black base with bordeaux red/ black interior and 21” spyder wheels. It also had the one thing that seems most base lot cars do not have and that’s the surround view camera. My prior Q7 had this and boy once you get used that feature, it’s hard to give up. So, went to have a look and a drive. Of course the drive / feel was brilliant and love love loved the interior color. Only thing that was holding me back was the standard black exterior (non metallic). Do not get me wrong, I LOVE the way it looked especially "clean" and with the spyder wheels but having had a black car many years ago and being so **** about keeping my car clean, I just could not bring myself to take on the challenge. The thought of swirl marks and daily Southern California dust was just not going to work for me.

So, one thing I did now know is that whatever I get, it HAD to be that Bordeaux interior. After looking at other cars on the lot, I really liked Quartzite Gray w same 21” spyder wheels and blackout gloss trim. It can be so rich and reminded me of Audi’s Daytona gray pearl. So now the challenge was that darn red interior. Let me tell ya, sounds simple enough right? Wrong! Haha. I did not make it easy for them. The search began within 500 mile radius in hopes of a simple dealer trade. We found a few perfect specs but one turned out to be a customer order that was entered into the computer inventory wrong, the next two, the dealers flat out refused to give them up in trade and last one was clear on other side of the country so transport expense and they would not give up either. This was it nationwide. So now there was one other possible option to go for or it was going to have to be custom order. Turns out this one was the closest of them all and that dealer was willing to do a trade. It was quartzite gray, it had the bordeaux interior, it had the spyder wheels and it even had ACC and vented seats (which the original black one I was considering did not have) BUT it did not have the surround camera...Argghhh. So, a decision had to be made. Wait 4-5 months for a custom order and also have my Q7 depreciate even further (the 2020 will have the new MMI like the Q8 so that will not bode well for a 2017 Q7s value) or give up the surround camera. Given that the Cayenne still has front parking sensors and a really good back up system and a little convincing from my wife that all of that is like having half of the surround system anyway, I went for it. (In case you are wondering why not just buy direct from one of those non willing to trade dealers...well. I really like my dealer family (same as my Audi dealer) and already had a trade deal worked out that I was good with, so just wanted to do my deal with them).

So far loving pretty much everything about the vehicle. Coming from a fully loaded Q7 I gave up some nice options like that surround camera, air suspension, 4 wheel steering, massage seats etc., but the way the Cayenne feels and drives makes it all worth it. Some little minor things with the Porsche PCM layout could be a bit better designed but that’s just software and could come in time. I do wonder how much better it would be with PASM, but even without, I am so far very happy with the driving experience for what it is and perhaps when the GTS arrives, I will move up to some more serious performance.

Thanks for reading and look forward to being a part of the forum and thrilled to finally have a Porsche in my garage!

Here is my spec:

Quartzite Gray Metallic
Bordeaux Red / Black Interior
21” Spyder Wheels
Premium Package
Vented Front Seats
ACC
Gloss Black Window Trim

For some fun currently considering the following mods from Suncoast:
Black Sport tailpipes
Sport Pedal Set

and “maybe”:
clear taillights
carbon fiber interior trim

Would love to hear your thoughts on any of these possible upgrades??

and now for some pics of my new baby....
Attached Images           
Old 06-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Pastor Passum
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the group. I’m not normally a fan of red or Bordeaux interior, but with the quartzite gray, it’s outstanding! Beautiful! Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2019, 03:24 PM
meyecul
Pro

Thank you. Yeah. I was not sure on the red until I saw in person. It always reads so much brighter in pics (even in mine). The Bordeaux in person is almost more like a rich burgundy. I really love it.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats, I did exact same and traded in a 2018 Prestige with all the options. I got the Quartzite w/gray leather and 21" platinum wheels. Surround view and Premium+ was a must.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:41 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

I posted this in a different thread but since this one is specifically about Q7 vs Cayenne I'm placing it here as well: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rsche-cayenne/
Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 PM
meyecul
Pro

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
Congrats, I did exact same and traded in a 2018 Prestige with all the options. I got the Quartzite w/gray leather and 21" platinum wheels. Surround view and Premium+ was a must.
Thank you. I am really enjoying this over the Q7. Totally agree on surround view. if I were to ever build one in the future, I will be optioning it for sure. That said, I have surprised myself in a short time getting used to just having the back up and front sensors. When you take full advantage of it, you can in a way mimic what I found most useful when I had surround on my Q7 (street parking, pulling out of a tight parking spot and monitoring the front corners). By programming the steering wheel button to activate the parking sensors / back up camera, I still get front trajectory lines that bend with the turn out, so in a way it mimics the front camera. Not as awesome visually of course as surround, but I am getting issued to it.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:18 PM
meyecul
Pro

Originally Posted by beefchopper
I posted this in a different thread but since this one is specifically about Q7 vs Cayenne I'm placing it here as well: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rsche-cayenne/
Having now had both of these, I would say this article is pretty spot on (though not sure why they say no reclining second row seats in the Cayenne as mine has several adjustments).

Over at the Audi forum the argument will always be toward value and here the driving dynamics. Both are correct imo.

Even though both are VW owned products, I can say Audi has taken a bit of step backwards in interior build quality while seems Porsche is still built like a vault. One thing I disliked about my Q7 was the snap, crackle and popping plastics on the interior. Mostly due to flexing of the vehicle and changes in the interior temp (going from hot to ac cold). This could be mimicked by just pressing on any of the interior trim and upper doorsills etc.... really annoying for an $80+k build. I was curious about how wide spread this is, so always checked models when I had loaners from my dealer (all same issues) and at the last big LA auto show I did a little testing by sitting in every Audi model and pressing around on the interior. Sure enough every single car crackled, popped and creaked. Even the most recent Autogefuhl review of the new S7, Thomas made mention of the interior dash rattling. I am not sure if it’s just cost cutting due to diesel-gate or what. I still really love Audi but for me personally it really took away from what is otherwise a great vehicle.

Last edited by meyecul; 06-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Great-looking car. I love that color combination -- it was actually my first choice, but since our Turbo was for my wife, she got what she wanted. I think it's a rich, sporty look.

I won't rehash the whole Q7 / Cayenne argument. That's one beaten horse. Each car has its own merits, and is excellent at delivering on what its target market is.

We're first-time Porsche buyers too. No regrets here, except for the ridiculous pricing. But we knew that going in.

Congratulations!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Beautiful. Congrats. Enjoy it in good health.
Interior in superb!!!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Beautiful color combo-- Bordeaux and QG is about the best color combo available, and your is simply stunning. Nice options, too.

My $0.02: Go w/ the black sport exhaust tips, but skip the clear taillights. Save yourself $$$ on the second-- I know it is preferred by some, but it will add nothing to your already beautiful car.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on the new car! you've got exceptional taste I must say!! Ordered the same combo on my car that just arrived! Drive it well for many years to come!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 PM
meyecul
Pro

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Beautiful color combo-- Bordeaux and QG is about the best color combo available, and your is simply stunning. Nice options, too.

My $0.02: Go w/ the black sport exhaust tips, but skip the clear taillights. Save yourself $$$ on the second-- I know it is preferred by some, but it will add nothing to your already beautiful car.
Thank you! Yes, I was thinking the same thing regarding taillights. I do think they are cool but will be something for for the next one :-).
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Perfect colors! We have a 2016 GTS in meteor gray, black and garnet red interior - which would be the old color names that are super close to yours. Agree our garnet red looks bright red in pictures, but not in person.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:28 AM
Josh s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build. Porsche really did an amazing job on both the interior & exterior of the new Cayennes. The last generation felt so ancient both in & out....
Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 AM
meyecul
Pro

Originally Posted by Josh s
Nice build. Porsche really did an amazing job on both the interior & exterior of the new Cayennes. The last generation felt so ancient both in & out....
Thank you. Yes, the interiors on these I think are a great blend of comfort, luxury and Sporty feel. Outside, it’s a big improvement, especially in person. On the build, I am pretty happy. I used the ACC yesterday for the first time on an hour and half drive and it worked very well. I do wonder what I am missing by not having any of the real performance options like PASM etc. I had every option on My Q7 including air suspension w drive modes and all wheel steering etc., yet still even with my build, I prefer my Cayenne so far :-).

Quick Reply: Goodby 2017 Q7, Hello 2019 Cayenne!!