Tailgate handless opening issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 PM
ckinwong
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate handless opening issue

Does anyone experience this issue?
I hardly able to open the tailgate with the kick motion with single kick. The tailgate opens after a few kicks.
The worst time was the tailgate remain closed after 7 kicks..... making me really want to kick the bumper.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-19-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Smelling pistake..
Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ckinwong
Does anyone experience this issue?
I hardly able to open the tailgate with the kick motion with single kick. The tailgate opens after a few kicks.
The worst time was the tailgate remain closed after 7 kicks..... making me really want to kill the bumper.

Thanks in advance

You have to stand dead center, about one away, and have the FOB on you. Kick has to be one motion up towards the center of the underside of the bumper and then back down. I can do it every time just seems much slower to do than hit the button. I have yet to have my hand full. So, maybe then it will be a benefit.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
You have to stand dead center, about one away, and have the FOB on you. Kick has to be one motion up towards the center of the underside of the bumper and then back down.
Same here, except we can stand a few feet away and it still works. The key is to kick straight toward the bumper at a slight incline. Works like a charm.

However... I rarely use it, and neither does my wife. We both feel a little stupid. We mostly just use the fob or hatch button instead.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 PM
Vishal S
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Still struggling to learn it, very embarrassing practising several straight kicks in public parking and people give me that look ��
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
You have to stand dead center, about one away, and have the FOB on you. Kick has to be one motion up towards the center of the underside of the bumper and then back down. I can do it every time just seems much slower to do than hit the button. I have yet to have my hand full. So, maybe then it will be a benefit.
You don't have to stand in the center. The trick is to move your feet away fast, don't hold there, it detects motion and open it.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 AM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The motion sensor is reactive to when you bring your foot backwards. So if you hold your foot still underneath the bumper and you bring your foot back at a normal tempo it will open. Most think its the kick forward that opens it. It is the exact opposite...
Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 AM
c4s911
Advanced

And then as soon as you thing it works great, it decides not to work for awhile. My wife and I have also experienced that you can be loading groceries etc in the back, and the hatch will decide to close on your because it senses your feet under the bumper. Not safe actually. Probably a feature best left to minivans since they couldn't get it right
Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

The crazy thing is (at least in my Panamera Sport Turismo...assuming same for Cayenne) is that it can be tricky to *open* yet has a hair trigger to close on your head as you're loading or unloading stuff. Accidentally put your foot under the bumper and look out!
Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Here are two solutions.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

It only works when you're alone in your driveway practicing this function. If you're at the Acme parking lot with both hands full of groceries, it will not work.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Learn this way then
Old 05-29-2019, 02:50 AM
ckinwong
5th Gear

Thanks everybody.

"The motion sensor is reactive to when you bring your foot backwards."
----> Works better... 1 out of 3 times instead of 7 times

"And then as soon as you thing it works great, it decides not to work for awhile."
----> Exactly

"it can be tricky to *open* yet has a hair trigger to close"
----> 100% works on closing

"Here are two solutions."
----> Gonna learn whistle

Look like mine is normal.....
Another trick....
Just rumbling "I am taking you to services to check out" 100% works.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:36 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by c4s911
My wife and I have also experienced that you can be loading groceries etc in the back, and the hatch will decide to close on your because it senses your feet under the bumper. Not safe actually. Probably a feature best left to minivans since they couldn't get it right
I also had it close on me 4 or 5 times, after which I said F it and turned off the rear hatch comfort access feature via the PCM. I never used it to open the hatch anyway, and constantly having it close on me while I was leaning inside the vehicle moving stuff around got to be super annoying.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:37 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by BCA01
I also had it close on me 4 or 5 times, after which I said F it and turned off the rear hatch comfort access feature via the PCM. I never used it to open the hatch anyway, and constantly having it close on me while I was leaning inside the vehicle moving stuff around got to be super annoying.
They should put the sensors in the corner like Range Rover.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 145 Posts

I can’t figure it out the foot swipe on a consistent basis either....

On a related matter: does anyone know how to stop the tailgate to stop wen it senses an obstruction? It seems to auto-stop at the top 1/4 but does not stop for the remainder of the way down. Seems to me a safety hazard.

Quick Reply: Tailgate handless opening issue