Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Curious as to why most dealerships spec the S fairly low

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:43 AM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Once you spec an S with decent options you're so close to the turbo base which includes the options. And you get a bigger engine with less turbo lag. Options have little resale value and dealers arent in the business to lose money.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:59 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

My uncle was the biggest 'car guy' in my life. At various times he owned a classic Camaro, Vette, Ferrari, etc. People would give him a hard time about them, especially the Ferrari. When they did, he'd ask them if they had a second home? Country club membership? Vintage Rolex? Of course, invariably they all had "something" into which they'd sunk $. My uncle had none of those things. He was a car guy and made his choices. It was a great lesson to learn as a kid. He worked hard and rewarded himself in ways that felt good to him without thought as to whether they made sense to others (or financially/rationally...)

I'll tell you this - I absolutely LOVE my PTT ST. Every time I get into it I'm super happy to drive it. Every. Single. Time.

We're all blessed here. Life is too short to do anything other than enjoy it as best we can.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess that's the case then the dealer only want's to order cars in stock that are reasonably priced so they can lease them and the residuals are in line at the end of the leases! Kind of sucks though having to wait so long for an ordered car but there is no way around it! So do the dealers only get allocated a certain amount of Turbo and S models per dealer? Curious if anyone knows what the allotment is for each dealer? Like roughly? Guess depends on dealer size etc..
Old 04-11-2019, 01:45 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dspvend
I guess that's the case then the dealer only want's to order cars in stock that are reasonably priced so they can lease them and the residuals are in line at the end of the leases! Kind of sucks though having to wait so long for an ordered car but there is no way around it! So do the dealers only get allocated a certain amount of Turbo and S models per dealer? Curious if anyone knows what the allotment is for each dealer? Like roughly? Guess depends on dealer size etc..
On the flip side, you are getting a custom ordered car with no wear and tear from test drives and you get to spec it exactly how you want it. Just think of the waiting game as working out, strengthening, and ultimately increasing your tolerance level of patience. You also have something to look forward to in the future! In today's world where instant gratification is expected and sometimes demanded, having to wait for your new car adds a bit of nostalgia from the good ol' days where something of great desire was always worth waiting a little longer for.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:48 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
You know, I have rarely found a man that does not have a vice.

For example, a colleague stated he can't imagine spending that much money on a car. Meanwhile,...he owns five cars that are all pieces of crap, in my opinion. I stated: "you own five, I own one high performance ride. Same price." Other guy said similar, meanwhile,...he spent $310,000 on "yard art"; brass statues that are poured into cast--total crap. Another, stated similar, meanwhile,...he has memberships to three clubs; two golf and one Country Club. Another,..high-end, signed guitars. Yet another with a wine cellar bigger than my living room.

So, I really don't want to hear "it's too much", or "how could you..." Instead, "I did because I can, and because I want to, as I will enjoy every minute of it." In fact, I may just buy another Ferrari as well, and I do have my eye on one.

So, I leave you all, respectfully, to your own much appreciated vices. Where is that $300 bottle of wine my wife loves so much that tastes like old grape juice?
Haha! Cheers, brutha!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dspvend
So do the dealers only get allocated a certain amount of Turbo and S models per dealer? Curious if anyone knows what the allotment is for each dealer? Like roughly? Guess depends on dealer size etc..
Yes, no, and yes. We bought from the premier Porsche dealer in Dallas-Fort Worth. They sell a zillion of them. And yet their Cayenne Turbo allocation is... wait for it... about one per month.

Base and S models are comparatively unlimited, we were told. Porsche holds those Turbos tight across the board to ensure they're comparatively rare as "halo" models, which I find kind of silly. But since the company is the most profitable per-capita automotive manufacturer in the world, I suppose they're silly all the way to the bank.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

It’s the maximum residual MSRP that they want to stay below. Anything above the MRM and your paying 100% of anything above that number instead of MSRP minus the residual. For the turbo it’s 148,500

Quick Reply: Curious as to why most dealerships spec the S fairly low