Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Audi Taking a More Proactive Role...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 01:28 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is Audi Taking a More Proactive Role...

...in addressing brake noise? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25299817

We have a 3.0 2017 Q7 (wifey's car) and the brakes as a whole have been quite good at handling a 5000 lb vehicle, and they emit nearly 0 dust, but developed warped rotors, and a squeal (only when reversing) at +/-10k as did many others on AudiWorld. To Audi's credit they stepped up and in short order even though they were/are in a $30 Billion emissions bleed. Not only did they come out with a TSB/fix, but since the squeal returned for many after a few thousand miles, Audi even revised the TSB to further address it, and update the tools/repair https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...56497-0001.pdf

My local P dealer said they will direct all new vehicle non pscb brake squeal issues on the 19 CY's to Porsche, who asks for a video and will then evaluate; the "solution" has mostly been cleaning of pads/rotors which in most cases only improves the issue for a very short time. My rep also stated that if a new CY has no squeal for the first 1-2k then there's a good chance it won't...if that's the case then clearly something is not consistent and the solution should be present since just as many are operating quietly.

Last edited by 500RJC; 04-07-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I think the whole VW group is doing some impressive innovation in a very competitive market. They have been singled out (and rightfully so) with diesel gate, so they will try to fix most problems (maybe not radio ones). Since the PSCBs are so new, I think Porsche is being a bit cautious and want to learn a bit. Maybe that explains some of the slowness. Not sure.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:37 PM
500RJC
Instructor

I can somewhat understand the squealing with new technology ie PSCB, but weren't they were marketed to not only be clean but be quiet? P's traditional brakes are also squealing for many and are dirty. If the Q7 and I'd imagine the SQ7 in Europe can get ultra low dust ceramic pads standard, why cant the new CY? After all this is 2019 not 1989, and high perf brakes that need to squeal and/or get coal dust black is very old hat...
Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
I can somewhat understand the squealing with new technology ie PSCB, but weren't they were marketed to not only be clean but be quiet? P's traditional brakes are also squealing for many and are dirty. If the Q7 and I'd imagine the SQ7 in Europe can get ultra low dust ceramic pads standard, why cant the new CY? After all this is 2019 not 1989, and high perf brakes that need to squeal and/or get coal dust black is very old hat...
I mentioned this elsewhere, and I'll leave it for you to confirm via your own research. But ceramic brake pads are notoriously heat-sensitive, and can fail catastrophically and with great immediacy if overheated. They are intended for light-duty street use in relatively low-performance driving. That's why they are standard pad technology across the board on many makes and models sold in the U.S., but not nearly so common in Europe, where speeds are higher and drivers harder on their vehicles.

Porsche created PSCB as a high-performance alternative to the low-dust ceramic-pad-and-iron-rotor braking system. They were designed to offer the best of breed -- low dusting, extreme braking performance similar to PCCB, high heat tolerance, and excellent fade resistance. Ceramic pads on your Audi will cover the first of those only. Take it to a track, and things will go downhill quickly.

Unfortunately, like the electronics on the Cayenne, the engineering and design of PSCB is half-baked right now. It's a shame, because that technology was created to be a centerpiece across the Porsche lineup, including the new 911. Presumably because of the supply shortage and trouble with them on the Cayenne, they're not even offered as an option on that car right now.

As a Porsche newbie who was sold on the brand's historic engineering expertise and quality, I gotta say that thus far I am underwhelmed. And for those folks stuck with constantly squealing PSCBs, man, I feel badly. It was only luck of the draw that we switched to PCCB after the shortage was announced. Otherwise we'd be right there too, driving a $150K Turbo that sounds like a jalopy above 25 mph. It's almost unbelievable that Porsche couldn't catch this in testing, which leads me to believe their PSCB supplier screwed something up in the production parts.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I mentioned this elsewhere, and I'll leave it for you to confirm via your own research. But ceramic brake pads are notoriously heat-sensitive, and can fail catastrophically and with great immediacy if overheated. They are intended for light-duty street use in relatively low-performance driving. That's why they are standard pad technology across the board on many makes and models sold in the U.S., but not nearly so common in Europe, where speeds are higher and drivers harder on their vehicles.

Porsche created PSCB as a high-performance alternative to the low-dust ceramic-pad-and-iron-rotor braking system. They were designed to offer the best of breed -- low dusting, extreme braking performance similar to PCCB, high heat tolerance, and excellent fade resistance. Ceramic pads on your Audi will cover the first of those only. Take it to a track, and things will go downhill quickly.

Unfortunately, like the electronics on the Cayenne, the engineering and design of PSCB is half-baked right now. It's a shame, because that technology was created to be a centerpiece across the Porsche lineup, including the new 911. Presumably because of the supply shortage and trouble with them on the Cayenne, they're not even offered as an option on that car right now.

As a Porsche newbie who was sold on the brand's historic engineering expertise and quality, I gotta say that thus far I am underwhelmed. And for those folks stuck with constantly squealing PSCBs, man, I feel badly. It was only luck of the draw that we switched to PCCB after the shortage was announced. Otherwise we'd be right there too, driving a $150K Turbo that sounds like a jalopy above 25 mph. It's almost unbelievable that Porsche couldn't catch this in testing, which leads me to believe their PSCB supplier screwed something up in the production parts.
P truly needs to step up and resolve the squealing on both versions of the brakes, there is absolutely no reason they should be squealing like a stuck pig, and with respect to the non-coated brakes, some have major issues with noise while others in the same geographical area/city have 0. The ceramic pads have done a great job on our +/-5000lb Q7 but we dont drive it like a race car nor should we lol. If P continues with the attitude where they are essentially telling customers tough luck, we will not take delivery and get something else.

Quick Reply: Is Audi Taking a More Proactive Role...