Sponsored By:

New Cayenne Coupe w/Houndstooth Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 PM
polydeon
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Cayenne Coupe w/Houndstooth Seats

In case you missed it, Porsche announced the new Cayenne Coupe today (more details: https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-porsch...til-1833471531). Overall it looks pretty good for an SUV "Coupe" but I really don't see the point in them. However, the biggest 'feature' that I'm super jealous of, is the new Leather/Cloth seat option the Coupe has as it's the lovely Porsche Houndstooth. Looks amazing on those Cayenne 18-way seats! My 2019 Cayenne S build just got locked last week, and I was going to go ballistic if this option was also available for the regular Cayenne because I would love it! Alas, it seems to be only available for the Coupe, at least for now. What do you guys think?

Leather/Houndstooth Seat Option

Old 03-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I don''t understand how the new Coupe model fits into the product line next to the Macan. Why would someone choose one over the other? What's the difference? Seems like unnecessary redundancy in the model lineup to me.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I don''t understand how the new Coupe model fits into the product line next to the Macan. Why would someone choose one over the other? What's the difference? Seems like unnecessary redundancy in the model lineup to me.
If you saw how many GLE Coupes I see on a daily basis, you'd understand.

Note, that there also exists a GLC and a GLC Coupe, and I see a lot of those too.

I have no idea why people buy them...but they do.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

They should have given a new name rather than Cayenne Coupe.
But looks good.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Based on what I've read, the Cayenne Coupe is similar in size to the regular Cayenne. It will be significantly bigger than a Macan. I suppose the coupe will appeal to those that love the look of the regular Cayenne but don't need much cargo space and perhaps want a less common looking vehicle. It wouldn't work for my wife. She likes to buy bulky landscaping materials.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The thing is, if you park a Macan and a Cayenne next to each other, the Macan isn't really that much smaller. What Porsche needs to build is a smaller Macan, not a smaller Cayenne.

Imagine how awesome a 400-HP Subaru Forester would be...
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Good looking vehicle but beyond empty nesters and those buying for looks only, this is a vehicle with too many compromises.

Want something sporty with better handling and don’t need the size of a Cayenne. There is a Macan. The advantages of the Cayenne coupe I see over the Macan are limited to 1) more rear legroom 2) better towing capability and 3) better off road. However short of that, there is not a lot more cargo room, no PDK, a higher liftover height for cargo and not as sporty driving.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

I find the whole coupe-sedan and coupe-SUV crazy stupid and stupider, respectively. But they sell. So I can’t blame Porsche for jumping in.

I’ll be the only guy to address the OP’s actual thread, however. I LOVE those Houndstooth seat inserts! My goodness, I am a guy who just dropped $150K on a car, and want to trade it away just to get those seats.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Yepper
Those seats are sweet. It's an $11K up-charge but you also get a CF roof panel.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Looks like a Q8 and in my opinion the Cayenne already has that sloping roof look that looks like it is more sporty than say an X5 or Q7. I don't get it.

Damn X6 started all of this nonsense and now we have them everywhere. Next up a Suburban coupe and an expedition coupe.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Damn X6 started all of this nonsense and now we have them everywhere. Next up a Suburban coupe and an expedition coupe.

Who knew when MB introduced the CLS all those years ago, the sloping-roofline cancer would spread to the SUV world?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess what’s one person’s ‘sloping-roofline cancer’ is another person’s great looking vehicle. I owned at 2012 CLS63 and currently own a 2018 Panamera Turbo. And my wife owned a 2012 X6M, currently owns a 2016 GLE 63S, and will likely buy the Cayenne Turbo Coupe.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmcginn
I guess what’s one person’s ‘sloping-roofline cancer’ is another person’s great looking vehicle. I owned at 2012 CLS63 and currently own a 2018 Panamera Turbo. And my wife owned a 2012 X6M, currently owns a 2016 GLE 63S, and will likely buy the Cayenne Turbo Coupe.
No disrespect intended -- I generally happen to like the styling of the slope-roofed cars and SUVs, even that Mini Cooper that looked like it was wearing a backward baseball cap like Tony Romo. I just can't wrap my head around buying one. For me, if I want style, I'm heading for a two-door coupe. I'm an old soul.

I'm obviously in the minority here, judging by how well cars like your CLS have sold. Times and styles change. Who would've ever thought we'd be talking about four-door Porsche sedans and SUVs just 20 years ago, anyway? Enjoy your cars and disregard what anybody else says. I've had a few people look at our Cayenne and tell me, "That is one ugly SUV." (I laid hands on one and performed a mild conversion after a test-drive, though. After he got out of the car, he looked at me and said, "It's still ugly on the outside. Looks like a lizard with its mouth open from the front. But holy s***, that thing goes. Unbelievable!" Good enough for me. Can I get an "amen," Porsche brethren? )
Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I love the seats!
The coupe back look very much Macan.

If this truck had PDK, id be at the dealer tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:32 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I love the seats. And the Cayenne Coupe will fill a segment that is extremely popular right now.

For most of the buyers in this segment they want the ride height and overall feel of greater safety over a car. Perceived or not. They don't really need the capacity or off-road worthiness of the standard Cayenne.

And frankly, some of the buyers want this styling, at this price point, with this badge. It's not about cannabilizing Cayenne sales or Macan sales, it's about pulling Land Rover, BMW, and Mercedes buyers into Porsche.

Quick Reply: New Cayenne Coupe w/Houndstooth Seats