Sponsored By:

Dangerous? Auto Engine Stop engages too early when decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phatchunk99
What's annoying to me is that the car comes to an abrupt stop instead of smoothly braking to zero as I slowly approach a stop light. You can argue there is a greater chance of getting rear-ended.
That too!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:49 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

our 2017 Q7 did this only once in 17k miles and never again...otherwise the system in it works well so why cant P's?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Wonder why activation/deactivation differs between Porsche models - when I took delivery of my 2018 Macan GTS a year ago, before leaving the dealer I turned off auto start/stop (red light illuminated) and it has forever remained off - the default is "off".
Old 03-25-2019, 11:24 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

3,000 miles and I’ve yet to experience any weird / unusual / dangerous behavior related to the auto start stop or otherwise in our base Cayenne. I’m sad to read about so many others having issues.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:11 AM
azra
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
3,000 miles and I’ve yet to experience any weird / unusual / dangerous behavior related to the auto start stop or otherwise in our base Cayenne. I’m sad to read about so many others having issues.
how would you describe the function in your car? does it turn the engine off only when completely stopped? or does it cut the engine off before stopping?

I think it would be a good idea to include or create a new thread with a poll, let's see how much of a percentage of owners are having issues with the current implementation of the function.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

All this intrusive, useless technology is exactly why my newest vehicle is my 2009 Cayenne TTS with no desire for anything more current in any of my platforms - sports cars, SUVs, pickups.

Auto Start/stop is about the dumbest technology ever implemented. Most wear occurs on an engine at startup and now we're doing it 50 times a day instead of 4 - great idea. How long are these starters going to last that pro ably cost about $1,000?

All this modern crap sucks - auto parking assist, distance sensing cruise control, lane departure assist, etc, etc, etc - drive your cars people - put down the phones, actually look at the road, and use the car controls. This technology does not make the roads safer - it makes it all less safe as people now pay way less attention since the car is doing it for them.

I travel for work and rent different cars every week. The first thing I do when getting into a rental car is find the buttons to turn off all the "assistance" crap.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
All this intrusive, useless technology is exactly why my newest vehicle is my 2009 Cayenne TTS with no desire for anything more current in any of my platforms - sports cars, SUVs, pickups.

Auto Start/stop is about the dumbest technology ever implemented. Most wear occurs on an engine at startup and now we're doing it 50 times a day instead of 4 - great idea. How long are these starters going to last that pro ably cost about $1,000?

All this modern crap sucks - auto parking assist, distance sensing cruise control, lane departure assist, etc, etc, etc - drive your cars people - put down the phones, actually look at the road, and use the car controls. This technology does not make the roads safer - it makes it all less safe as people now pay way less attention since the car is doing it for them.

I travel for work and rent different cars every week. The first thing I do when getting into a rental car is find the buttons to turn off all the "assistance" crap.
Amen!

But I want to go one step further: I want to hang anyone caught looking at their smartphone while driving. 1st offense. So there isn't a possibility of a second.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
our 2017 Q7 did this only once in 17k miles and never again...otherwise the system in it works well so why cant P's?
I have a Q7 and the reason why it works better on the Q7 is because it does not have the coasting function. The trans does not go into neutral (or decouples) from the engine. In the Q7, the engine simply turns off once you are stopped. In the Cayenne, what most folks are describing as a "surge" is actually the vehicle freewheeling (or coasting), and because you do not have engine braking helping you to stop, you have to depress the brake pedal a little harder in order to stop. Its unnerving for some people to suddenly have to press the pedal harder to stop, specially if you're a tailgater. And of course this is exacerbated if you have the optional PSCB or PCCB brakes since they are more sensitive than the standard brakes. In my 18' Cayenne, I kept the auto/start stop turned off because it was annoying. It is less noticeable on the Q7. Now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my 19' S comes in. I really want this thing turned off permanently and have spoken to my dealer service manager and the Porsche regional rep about it when I was at the dealer 2 weeks ago to check on my order. I directed them to this website to see the concerns. I doubt they do anything though.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Couldn't agree more, I noticed you live in upper state SC, well I live in Charleston and its probably 10 times worst driving around here with all the imported people from up north. Anyhoo, the only driver assistance I ordered with the 19 is LCA, which comes with the Premium+. At least on the Q7, all this stuff can be programmed to be turned off permanently. Why will Porsche not let this be an owner preference? After all, isn't this Porsche's mantra, thier cars are made to be driven.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:39 AM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
I have a Q7 and the reason why it works better on the Q7 is because it does not have the coasting function. The trans does not go into neutral (or decouples) from the engine. In the Q7, the engine simply turns off once you are stopped. In the Cayenne, what most folks are describing as a "surge" is actually the vehicle freewheeling (or coasting), and because you do not have engine braking helping you to stop, you have to depress the brake pedal a little harder in order to stop. Its unnerving for some people to suddenly have to press the pedal harder to stop, specially if you're a tailgater. And of course this is exacerbated if you have the optional PSCB or PCCB brakes since they are more sensitive than the standard brakes. In my 18' Cayenne, I kept the auto/start stop turned off because it was annoying. It is less noticeable on the Q7. Now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my 19' S comes in. I really want this thing turned off permanently and have spoken to my dealer service manager and the Porsche regional rep about it when I was at the dealer 2 weeks ago to check on my order. I directed them to this website to see the concerns. I doubt they do anything though.
I can't speak for everyone in this thread but I believe what most people are experiencing is the opposite of what you are describing here. The car actually stops well in advance of what you would expect a "normal" car to do if you just apply a constant brake pressure. It's as if the car hits a brick wall at around 5-6 (vaguely speaking) mph.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:42 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phatchunk99
I can't speak for everyone in this thread but I believe what most people are experiencing is the opposite of what you are describing here. The car actually stops well in advance of what you would expect a "normal" car to do if you just apply a constant brake pressure. It's as if the car hits a brick wall at around 5-6 (vaguely speaking) mph.
When I was at my dealer 2 weeks ago, my SA and I spent the better part of 3 hrs test driving an S with and without the PSCB options and testing the auto start/stop function with it off and on. What I described in my thread is what we experienced. Of course when we applied the brake more forcefully, the auto start/stop function is minimized. The most telling thing for me was how sensitive the PSCB brakes were. I had more difficulty modulating those brakes than trying to ascertain the effect of the auto-start/stop function. Either way, I don't like it and will always turn it off upon startup. Hopefully, someone smarter than me can figure out a permanent way to turn it off like in the Q7.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
Couldn't agree more, I noticed you live in upper state SC, well I live in Charleston and its probably 10 times worst driving around here with all the imported people from up north. Anyhoo, the only driver assistance I ordered with the 19 is LCA, which comes with the Premium+. At least on the Q7, all this stuff can be programmed to be turned off permanently. Why will Porsche not let this be an owner preference? After all, isn't this Porsche's mantra, thier cars are made to be driven.
The only modern feature I like is the little light in the side mirror that is on when there is a car in that area where a lane change could go wrong - I think they call it blind spot warning or something like that. It's very helpful in the event a panic lane change is needed to avoid a potential accident, without causing another one.

The Lane Change Assist is one of my least favorites, especially the one that tries the gently steer the car back into the lane. I had a rented Jeep in a rainstorm where i was trying to gently change lanes and it kept steering me in the other direction. I created a very strange repetitive instability where I almost returned the car for a different one before I realized that it was the stupid active lane departure warning system. Pulled over, found the button for that and the auto stop / start and all was well again.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

The only modern feature I like is the little light in the side mirror that is on when there is a car in that area where a lane change could go wrong - I think they call it blind spot warning or something like that. It's very helpful in the event a panic lane change is needed to avoid a potential accident, without causing another one.

The Lane Change Assist is one of my least favorites, especially the one that tries the gently steer the car back into the lane. I had a rented Jeep in a rainstorm where i was trying to gently change lanes and it kept steering me in the other direction. I created a very strange repetitive instability where I almost returned the car for a different one before I realized that it was the stupid active lane departure warning system. Pulled over, found the button for that and the auto stop / start and all was well again.
Blind spot monitoring or lane change assist (LCA) is the same thing - side mirror warning lights up to let you know someone is in your blind spot. This is the only driver assist that is on my order unless cruise control is considered one. I think what you are speaking of is called "Lane Keep Assist" in Porsche language and its called "Active Lane Assist" in Audi/VW language. The steering wheel vibrates to warn you and in some cases steers you back into the lane if you do not make corrections on your own. The nice thing about the Audi/VW/Porsche systems is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the system or just simply push the button at the end of the blinker stalk to turn the thing off. Mine is turned off 99% of the time. I will use it occasionally when on the interstate on a long trip.

I noticed you're from the Clemson area. I buy all my P-cars from the Greenville dealer. Yes, I drove 3 hours to the dealer there to test the PSCB brakes and the auto start/stop function on the Cayenne.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:58 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

All this modern crap sucks... [followed by long anti-tech rant worthy of a Luddite].
I agree with every single word you wrote. I am a guy who likes to drive, not be driven — badly, and sometimes dangerously — by technology that is nowhere near ready for prime time. My wife is the same way. We didn’t buy a Porsche for a luxury plaything that offers to wheel itself placidly with beeps and buzzes.

Had there been a technology-delete package, we’d have gone for it.

Then again, I am an old soul.

I’ve posted this earlier: We disable auto stop / start as soon as we hop in the car via Individual settings. Easy peasy.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:27 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

My Macan GTS can default off but my Panamera defaults on. Does this start stop help their EPA emission standrad that much for Porsche to add to their largest volume cars? I would gladly option that out and would pay $$ to get rid of this stupid thing. 99% of us don't want this and yes I do consider not spending so much money on a car that annoys me.

Quick Reply: Dangerous? Auto Engine Stop engages too early when decelerating