Sponsored By:

Two weeks with my S

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two weeks with my S

I'm two weeks in and finally got the tint and ceramic done. Two coats of ceramic all over along with wheels and calipers - 35 tint on the sides, 80 on the windshield. Sadly it's overcast today so the pictures don't pop. I didn't order mine but bought it off the lot. I didn't decide on a Cayenne until December and was told June/July/Aug delivery. I just waited for delivery and found a model I wanted - my only requirements were jet black and seat ventilation. Ended up with this - jet black/black with AAC, 4 zone, soft close doors, towing, seat vent, premium and compass. I didn't want/need most of those but it was countered by a 6% discount off MSRP. Win some, lose some. I have been browsing the forum for a few months and can give my $0.02.

I have never had any issues downshifting. The brakes do squeak and just received an unsolicited email from Porsche about how they're 'supposed to squeak' so I'm guessing it's a hot topic. Never had an issue with PCM deleting anything, rebooting or dying. I went with the S over base simply because my last two cars were MB CLS 550 and BMS 550 and I didn't want any drop off from the V8s. No glitches of any kind (except as discussed below) and no issues with not starting.

Pros - The car is amazing. It's built out of granite and it is an absolute rocket. It's my first Porsche and it's simply on another level compared to MB and BMW. The ride is fantastic for 21", better than my CLS 550. It really is an amazing car to drive. Keeping it under 4000 RPMs until 1k is brutal! The center display is superb. I actually really love the compass in the wart. I also love changing the interior color.

Cons - The A/C f*&^* sucks. I have a thread on this already but when I tried to get a service appt they're 2 weeks out. Unreal. When I get back from trial in 3 weeks I'm taking it in because half of the vents don't work at all and the other half do almost nothing. I've read some posts about how this is just Porsche. That's simply not acceptable in Arizona. It will either get fixed or I'll bone up quickly on lemon laws. I'm guessing I just have a defect but it's worse than any Hyundai or Kia I've ever been in as a rental car. The sat radio display/settings must have been designed by a legitimate moron. I have another thread on this as well, but it's utterly ridiculous that you have to push as many buttons as you have to just to see song title/artist from Favorites. I have been able to mitigate it a bit. I formatted Home Page to have sat radio on the far right with the nav on the far left. Then, after pushing Fav, if you go back to Home Screen you have the title/artist in the far right box and the nav with speed limit in the left. It shouldn't be this freaking difficult, Porsche.

Meh - Soft close doors are an absolute waste, IMO. I have 10 and 7 year old boys who will never utilize them, nor will I. The AAC is a waste for me, not sure if I'll ever use it. The interior. If I had to do it all over again, I would order the leather package. It seems like such a ridiculous upcharge, but the base I test drove had it and the S I bought doesn't - big difference.

If the AC gets fixed I'll be in love. It's an amazing car.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks for the interesting summary. Can you post a photo of your center dash and console with gear shifter, including the "compass in wart"?

I've been following with dismay the threads listing problems in the 2019 Cayenne, particularly electronics.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the summary. Most places like NY are still cold, so I have not had a chance to try the A/C. It is quite amazing how powerful the S engine is. I cant imagine how powerful the turbo must be with the extra hp. Congrats again!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cometguy
Thanks for the interesting summary. Can you post a photo of your center dash and console with gear shifter, including the "compass in wart"? .
No problem

Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

I was asked to post a picture of the ceramic in the shop. Here you go

Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the extra photos... I like the compass look!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by FyteOn
Cons - The A/C f*&^* sucks... I'm taking it in because half of the vents don't work at all and the other half do almost nothing. I've read some posts about how this is just Porsche. That's simply not acceptable in Arizona. It will either get fixed or I'll bone up quickly on lemon laws.
First, you’re one brave dude to buy a black-on-car in Arizona, even if it happened to be a Buick with an Arctic-level AC unit. I lived in Phoenix for a few years as a kid and remember the 115F summers. But hey, compared to the 105F summers here in Dallas, it’s a dry heat.

I own a black-on-black sport sedan, BTW. Looks awesome when clean and detailed, and it’s nice and toasty in the winter. But every summer for the three years I’ve owned it I beat myself up for being a moron as I hop in and roast for a few minutes every time I leave it in the sun. The fact that it has a great, domestic (actually Australian — I hear it gets a little warm Down Under) air conditioner only slightly mitigates the car’s surface-of-the-sun heat absorption capability. Never again in Texas.

Second, about that Cayenne A/C. As a workaround until you get it to the dealer, use manual controls on the PCM to disable the top center vents on the dash. That panel vent makes all kind of racket, but nothing much flows out of it. I’ve also found that opening the side vents 100 percent while closing the center vents below the PCM halfway calms the blower racket while allowing the system to exhale some decent airflow.

Running the A/C in Auto mode when the ambient temperature is 80 or above is an exercise in futility. It sounds like you’re in the middle of a wind tunnel — with no wind.

I wish you the best of luck getting your HVAC where you want it. I have a feeling, though, that we may all be playing the workaround game until (if?) Porsche updates its software to change the way the various blowers and vents manage airflow. The next time we run our Turbo into the dealer, I’ll be asking some hard questions too.

Sharp car, BTW. Congrats!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats.

What's with the brakes squealing...I thought this was only an issue witht the ceramic option??
Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 AM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 500RJC
Congrats.

What's with the brakes squealing...I thought this was only an issue witht the ceramic option??
Nope. I have regular brakes and they are not quiet. Here's the email

Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FyteOn
Nope. I have regular brakes and they are not quiet. Here's the email
Thanks, but this may be a game changer for us, we hate dirty and squealing brakes. I don't know why this is even an issue these days. I used to drive nothing but 911's and 911 turbos for years and the brakes NEVER squealed, nor have they squealed on a myriad of other performance veichles I've owned over the years. UGH!

The brakes on the 19 base we tested never squealed once...did yours make noise from day one?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the update/status of your new Cayenne S! Mine is on order and thanks for the information about the full leather because I was torn but in the end ordered the full leather interior because I agree it felt and looks amazing! Now I'm a bit concerned about the air conditioning but hopefully this isn't something serious and and a fix can be had at the dealer. I heard Porsche is an amazing brand and wants their Clients/customers to be happy and will go to extra lengths to make sure that you satisfied with the car! Best of luck again cars gorgeous and use is in good heath!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dspvend
Mine is on order and thanks for the information about the full leather because I was torn but in the end ordered the full leather interior because I agree it felt and looks amazing!
I think you made the right choice. The standard partial leatherette is night-and-day removed (not in a good way) from the full leather interior, especially in the dash area.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Is there a compass or directional indicator in the PCM if you don't get the compass?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:46 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QQQ
Is there a compass or directional indicator in the PCM if you don't get the compass?
you can change to compass view in instrument cluster.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500RJC
Thanks, but this may be a game changer for us, we hate dirty and squealing brakes. I don't know why this is even an issue these days. I used to drive nothing but 911's and 911 turbos for years and the brakes NEVER squealed, nor have they squealed on a myriad of other performance veichles I've owned over the years. UGH!

The brakes on the 19 base we tested never squealed once...did yours make noise from day one?
My Panameras have never had squeaky brakes, and neither have any of the many Cayennes and Macans that I've test-driven or loaner-driven.

Quick Reply: Two weeks with my S