Tire Rim Protection + 2 year extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Rim Protection + 2 year extended Warranty

Hi All,

I just got notified that my December built Cayenne Turbo is at the dealership! Pick up is next week. Extremely excited as this is my first Porsche and I plan to keep it for 7-10 years.Of

I will be getting ppf done privately but am seriously considering the Tire Rim protection and possibly extended warranty. I have the 21" standard turbo wheels. The dealer is offering me a 20% discount on the 5 year package tire/rim protection package.

The dealer is telling that I am looking at a replacement cost of $2500 - $3000 for each tire and rim. Not sure if that is an accurate estimate.

With regards to the extended warranty, they only sell those in 2 year increments. He assured me that warranty is directly with Porsche. The tire protection is with a third party Safeguard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:49 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats! I am sure you will never want another brand vehicle.

Tire and wheel is good. Just know that dealers markup those polices alot, so negotiate. As for the warranty, I would hold off. Porsche sell a warranty that can be purchased anytime before the new car warranty is finished. So you have 4 years to make up your mind. Just my thoughts after 13 Porsches.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:07 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 169 Posts

If you break a modern Porsche rim, you'd be one of the ultra-rare people to do so. I cracked a 17 OEM alloy rim on my 993 16 years ago, and have never heard of another that broke without being in a serious accident.

You can buy 5 replacement tires for $2500 - I would - and do - self insure on this.

cheers!

Last edited by 911-TOUR; 03-09-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Al of those warranties and protection plans offered are likely very profitable for the dealership. I always decline, as I think I will usally come out ahead in the long run given the prices they charge. If you are prone to hit or scrape curbs frequently (given the lower profile tire), then maybe the tire/wheel warranty would be of benefit. You can buy an OEM Porsche Cayenne wheel/rim set of 4 (21" turbo design) for about $6K online.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Things like tire+wheel are major profit centers for dealerships. I'd steer clear. I self insure, and for minor amounts of wheel damage have local repair shops that do incredible work for a fraction of the cost.

I concur on the extended warranty. Wait until you're near the end of the 4/50 warranty before deciding. I know you said you plan to keep the car for a while, but you never know.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:50 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts
Default tire/rim warranties

Originally Posted by newbie2p
Hi All,

I just got notified that my December built Cayenne Turbo is at the dealership! Pick up is next week. Extremely excited as this is my first Porsche and I plan to keep it for 7-10 years.Of

I will be getting ppf done privately but am seriously considering the Tire Rim protection and possibly extended warranty. I have the 21" standard turbo wheels. The dealer is offering me a 20% discount on the 5 year package tire/rim protection package.

The dealer is telling that I am looking at a replacement cost of $2500 - $3000 for each tire and rim. Not sure if that is an accurate estimate.

With regards to the extended warranty, they only sell those in 2 year increments. He assured me that warranty is directly with Porsche. The tire protection is with a third party Safeguard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't spend my money on a tire/rim warranty. My Cayenne is my 5th Porsche - including 4 911s - and I have never destroyed a wheel or blown a tire, despite living in the Northeast with pothole-strewn roads that seem to get worse each year. I did once scrape a wheel on a curb (ugh!), but fixing that was a relatively minor cosmetic expense of a couple hundred bucks - certainly far less than a wheel warranty would cost. So I always decline the coverage. However, if you do decide to get the warranty I recommend that you read the fine print to make sure it's: (1) transferable with the car to a new owner so that you can get a prorated portion of your money back from the buyer (despite your intention of keeping the car 7-10 years, you may not), and (2) cancelable by you at will with a return of your money for the unused prorated portion of the warranty. The one time I did buy a tire/wheel warranty (for a BMW with run-flats that others told me were prone to blowing and bending the wheel if you hit a pothole), the warranty ran for four years but I got rid of the car after only one. I was able to cancel the warranty and get back 3/4 of my money back.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:52 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone! I will decline the tire rim warranty and wait till the 4th year to revisit the extended warranty.

Thanks again. This forum is excellent and you all have been extremely helpful to me with my very first Porsche purchase.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Tire Rim Protection + 2 year extended Warranty