Sponsored By:

Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Porsche19
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims

So the car I purchased comes with the 21" spyder design rims. Exterior is black. Part of me (mostly my left side) wants to change the rims out to the 21" exclusive design in satin platinum rims. The car is still at the dealer lot and I am picking it up next week. Worth asking the dealer? Or better to swap out afterwards? Only 25 miles on the odometer, so hasn't been driven much.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I much prefer the exclusive design, and especially in satin platinum. You obviously fee the same way, so why not ask (or forever regret it!).
Old 03-06-2019, 03:41 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

This is a tough one. The RS Spyders are everywhere -- seems like every Cayenne out there with 21" rims has them. I'm not a fan of being common. So I'd go for the exclusive wheels in Satin Platinum in a heartbeat. They'd look really sharp with the black, too.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Porsche19
Track Day

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
This is a tough one. The RS Spyders are everywhere -- seems like every Cayenne out there with 21" rims has them. I'm not a fan of being common. So I'd go for the exclusive wheels in Satin Platinum in a heartbeat. They'd look really sharp with the black, too.
Agree.

I'm working on getting a quote for them. Now need to figure out what to do with my current rims!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:35 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche19
So the car I purchased comes with the 21" spyder design rims. Exterior is black. Part of me (mostly my left side) wants to change the rims out to the 21" exclusive design in satin platinum rims. The car is still at the dealer lot and I am picking it up next week. Worth asking the dealer? Or better to swap out afterwards? Only 25 miles on the odometer, so hasn't been driven much.

The big bubble lens in the front of the grille. Is that for the Innodrive, ACC, or surround parking camera?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Porsche19
Track Day

ACC
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche19
ACC
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts

Get the Sport Classic 22's like I ordered .. they are MINT ...............
Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 AM
tjbk18
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to share my thoughts on the 21" spyder wheels. They look much nicer in person; however, I would recommend you to swap to the 21" exclusive design. Those were my original choice, but my wife went for the spyder wheels because the exclusive design wheels look so close to the wheels we had on our last Cayenne. If you wash the car yourself like I do, please stay away from the Spyder wheels unless you get PSCB or PCCB. With heavy break dusk, the many small sections of the spyder wheels take much longer time to clean.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:46 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I also prefer the exclusive design wheels, regardless of color. Although the spyders have my absolute favorite color scheme as standard (dark gray windows and barrels with polished faces), I personally just don’t prefer mesh style wheels at all. They don’t look sporty to me, and they are hard to clean.

I initially preferred the standard silver finish on the exclusive design wheels but I ended up buying one off the lot and it has gloss black windows and barrels. See attached pic. I was hesitant at first about the gloss black but I really do like it now. Satin platinum would also be good although that color has never been a particular favorite of mine.

Whatever you do, if you plan on swapping, do/negotiate it prior to taking delivery. Much easier/cheaper to swap wheels before a purchase than afterward. As my dealer said to me a couple of years ago about wheel swaps: “We prefer not to swap wheels but we won’t lose a sale over it.” We then proceeded to discuss how crazy expensive it is to buy new OEM wheels aftermarket. So my advice is that if you want to change, do it before you take delivery while you have some leverage.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:49 AM
tjbk18
Advanced

Hi BCA01, what material is it on your garage's floor? Do they come with different colors? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:07 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tjbk18
Hi BCA01, what material is it on your garage's floor? Do they come with different colors? Thanks.
It’s Swisstrax. Installed in 2015 and I LOVE it. I believe my color is Pearl Grey but there are all colors available and you can design any pattern you like. They work with you on the design. Matt (Obsessed Garage) sells them if you want to go through him. I started off thinking I wanted Slate Grey (Matt’s preferred color) but they talked me into Pearl instead because it supposedly hides dirt better, and I’m super happy with it.

I installed myself in about 7 hours. I rented a floor tile cutter from Swisstrax that they shipped in a crate with my tiles, and then I just paid for return shipping to them (about $50). They allow you a few days with it. Alternatively, you can buy a cutter for ~$500 or just use a table saw. My opinion is that using a cutter makes for the easiest and best install.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 AM
Porsche19
Track Day

Originally Posted by BCA01

I also prefer the exclusive design wheels, regardless of color. Although the spyders have my absolute favorite color scheme as standard (dark gray windows and barrels with polished faces), I personally just don’t prefer mesh style wheels at all. They don’t look sporty to me, and they are hard to clean.

I initially preferred the standard silver finish on the exclusive design wheels but I ended up buying one off the lot and it has gloss black windows and barrels. See attached pic. I was hesitant at first about the gloss black but I really do like it now. Satin platinum would also be good although that color has never been a particular favorite of mine.

Whatever you do, if you plan on swapping, do/negotiate it prior to taking delivery. Much easier/cheaper to swap wheels before a purchase than afterward. As my dealer said to me a couple of years ago about wheel swaps: “We prefer not to swap wheels but we won’t lose a sale over it.” We then proceeded to discuss how crazy expensive it is to buy new OEM wheels aftermarket. So my advice is that if you want to change, do it before you take delivery while you have some leverage.

I tried swapping out at the dealer, but the salesman said it would be very expensive and I would end up with the old set. I live in So.Cal, so don't really need a second set.

I'm trying to get the satin platinum exclusive design, but now need to sell my current set first. Any suggestion on how much I could get for my set?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:51 AM
tjbk18
Advanced

Thanks BCA01!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM
pambalog
6th Gear

I'm looking at getting the 21 inch exclusive design wheels. I told my dealership I wanted black rims and he said I can get them powdercoated. Does anyone know if this is really possible and will last? My build locks next week so I will get the cheapest ones if I can do this, otherwise I will have to order the satin platinum

Quick Reply: Rims