Sponsored By:

Panamera Price vs Cayenne ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
I love wagons but my jaw drops and I drive around the block when I see a Sport T. How could anybody not be floored by these things... Here is one with my E63 and the ST makes it look positively pedestrian!
Like pokingaround, I see nothing nothing pedestrian about your wagon. Both are elegant, sporty, and absolutely kick-*** monsters in different ways. You are one blessed man!

I still do not see how I couldn't talk my wife into taking a serious look at your 600-horsepower wagon. If you're driving a hearse as she would say, then go ahead and bury me now. Quickly!

Gorgeous cars. Just gorgeous.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Like pokingaround, I see nothing nothing pedestrian about your wagon. Both are elegant, sporty, and absolutely kick-*** monsters in different ways. You are one blessed man!

I still do not see how I couldn't talk my wife into taking a serious look at your 600-horsepower wagon. If you're driving a hearse as she would say, then go ahead and bury me now. Quickly!

I second this question, particularly as I recall you describing yourself and your wife as "giddy kids" over the sound of the CTT! The AMG's engine note is insane - I'd have thought she'd be all over that based on your description!

It sure is wild that way that the SUV craze has left wagons nearly extinct in this country...
Old 03-03-2019, 04:51 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
I love wagons but my jaw drops and I drive around the block when I see a Sport T. How could anybody not be floored by these things... Here is one with my E63 and the ST makes it look positively pedestrian!
Yeah, compared to the ST, your E63 looks like a Buick or Oldsmobile... The new Volvo wagons look better than the E63, to me; but even Volvo is stopping the shipment of their big wagons to dealerships this coming year, and focussing mostly on their SUVs... sad signs of the times...

I have a ST E-Hybrid, which had a base price of $104k last year ($106k this year). The new Cayenne E-Hybrid has a base price of $79k; if it had been out last year, I might have chosen that over the Panamera E-Hybrid (but the old S E-Hybrids with 10-kWh battery packs and crappy old computer screens were not remotely interesting to me). The Cayenne is a little more big and bulky than I'd like, and the Panamera a little lower and less practical in terms of cargo space, and my preference would be for a Macan E-Hybrid. But, the Panamera is a blast to drive -- much more fun than any Cayenne!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Wow that's some photo! I wouldn't say 'pedestrian' at all about the AMG - though certainly (relatively) understated and stealthy as compared to the ST. To me the E63S Wagon is the ultimate Q-ship, an 'in the know' type car for people who love cars. You may not get as many "Hey man what's that?!" type looks/approaches as in the Porsche, but those who approach you will be car nuts, already in awe of what you're driving! And the sound...don't even get me started!

I came extremely close to pulling the trigger on the AMG because it's such a superior value (IMO) as compared to the Porsche. For $125K MSRP you get a very well equipped, top of the line E63, which in many ways (both engine power and utility) outperforms the Porsche Turbo, whereas that same $125k only gets you a well optioned 'entry level' 4 ST, or a lightly (for Porsche...) optioned 4S ST. The AMG is truly an amazing car. Funny though - I ruffled some feathers over on the MBWorld forums for simply *mentioning* - in a thread about the virtues of wagons - that I had chosen the ST.

Anyway, enjoy your AMG - I'm sure you do!!
Originally Posted by JCWLS3

Thanks guys, love the wagon and AMG is still the best value by far as noted above. Best engine note, highlight is just firing it up with that bark when it clears its voice. The ST is just such an incredible design. Will has to give it a try, just can't stomach the premium for a Turbo given what an S213 sells for fully loaded. Perhaps if I could source on of the deals mentioned here. Hmm...
Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Not a fan of the Panamera, and my wife just bought one, and she loves that car. And that other Panamera looks deformed, no wonder they can't sell them. But I'm sure it's a fine car, just not for me. They tried to throw one at us too when we were shopping. Ugh.

Quick Reply: Panamera Price vs Cayenne ?