Sponsored By:

Ordered a CTT- car stork can't fly fast enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Hankopotamus
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Ordered a CTT- car stork can't fly fast enough

Hi guys, just thought I'd introduce myself and share the build I ordered for a new CTT. I'm currently in a '15 X5 50i; I love the interior it has (went for full leather black and white contrast) but hate the seats- I'm 6'3 and 250lbs and the geometry or something just makes my upper back and neck hurt on longer drives- I can just never get comfortable despite the 18-way adjustment. The new generation X5 has the same seats as my current one and the redesigned interior feels a lot cheaper than the outgoing model it replaces, even with all of the options. So I've decided to go Cayenne!

Thoughts, missives, and comments are welcome on the build. My sales person says there are some production delays, but I hope to get it in late May or sometime in June? I went for the 14-way adjustable seats here since the dealer said the 18-way are the same seats I have in my 991 Turbo S, which also give me issues on longer trips. I found the 14-way seats plenty comfortable during the test drive so I'm hoping they work out in the long term. Separately, I sprung for the sport body and sport exhaust in addition to a bunch of other stuff (I hope I don't end up regretting all the options given the final cost for all the bells and whistles)... does anyone have either the bodykit (i'm having trouble finding decent real life pics of it for the '19 model) or the sport exhaust? Any comments on them? I don't suppose the exhaust adds any power like an aftermarket would?

Porsche Code: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...rnational.aspx PK1NA9P5

Cheers,
Charles

Last edited by Hankopotamus; 02-24-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:23 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great build.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 PM
redbaron01
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Charles,
Congrads on you choice of ride ,,, you'l love it .. Took del on my Gen3 Turbo last week ,, absolutely love her ,, I came from 2017 S and previous to that 2015 X5 diesel .Few Comments:
  • head up display superb, much better than the X5, works great, except for my polarized glasses,,
  • Gen3 sports seats a wee tight but doable ,, but Truffel and Cohiba Brown interior is absolutely beautiful ,
  • Night Vison on the X5 ,, was ok, but did not like much location of the center console display ,, perhaps more fitting with the GEN3 location for useage.
  • SportDesgn - no feedback.
  • Performance - only ordered RealAxilSteering ,, works great
  • Welcome to the PiG pen .. Cheers
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Hankopotamus
5th Gear

Originally Posted by redbaron01
Charles,
Congrads on you choice of ride ,,, you'l love it .. Took del on my Gen3 Turbo last week ,, absolutely love her ,, I came from 2017 S and previous to that 2015 X5 diesel .Few Comments:
  • head up display superb, much better than the X5, works great, except for my polarized glasses,,
  • Gen3 sports seats a wee tight but doable ,, but Truffel and Cohiba Brown interior is absolutely beautiful ,
  • Night Vison on the X5 ,, was ok, but did not like much location of the center console display ,, perhaps more fitting with the GEN3 location for useage.
  • SportDesgn - no feedback.
  • Performance - only ordered RealAxilSteering ,, works great
  • Welcome to the PiG pen .. Cheers

Thanks! I love the night vision and HUD on the x5 so i'm glad to hear they are improved here.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Can’t give you any insight on SportDesign, but we ordered PSE on our Turbo and love it. I’ve posted several messages and a full thread on it, including videos. Watch and listen for yourself to see if it’s worth $3K.

Congrats, by the way. Our Turbo has spent more time than we’d like in the service bay. But we’ve fallen hard for it. She’s a bad bitch!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 PM
Hankopotamus
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Can’t give you any insight on SportDesign, but we ordered PSE on our Turbo and love it. I’ve posted several messages and a full thread on it, including videos. Watch and listen for yourself to see if it’s worth $3K.

Congrats, by the way. Our Turbo has spent more time than we’d like in the service bay. But we’ve fallen hard for it. She’s a bad bitch!
Exhaust sounds and looks great! What service issues have you had? Anything particularly frustrating?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hankopotamus
Exhaust sounds and looks great! What service issues have you had? Anything particularly frustrating?
I've made several posts about electronic gremlins that come and go. Nothing serious -- had the PCM screen go full edge-to-edge blue (an actual Blue Screen of Death!) the first night we had the car. Had to disconnect the battery for a hard reset to get it back online. That problem hasn't returned. We've also had various diagnostics / warnings at startup of features being broken or otherwise unavailable -- High Beam Assist, PAS, driving lights, etc. Turn the car off and re-start and they magically pass their diagnostics and become available again. Dealer made a pass at everything and gave the car a clean bill of health -- it's a software issue, they say. We shall see.

Other problems: The full-width rubber seal in front of the hatch (runs across the top of the car) was installed by a drunken, half-blind Slovakian at 4:55 on a Friday afternoon. (That's my theory, anyway.) It was sort of half-in and half-out in places, and you couldn't just shove it back in there. Dealer had to order a new seal and replace it. In doing so, they had to remove the active aero bits from the back, and somehow managed to drop the wing and its heavy steel hinges / motor / whatever else on the rear glass, scratching it nicely. Didn't notice that one until we got it home. They had to order the parts from Germany to fix that one. Took a month to get them here. The car is in their care right now. I think they'll get it right this time -- this one is on their dime, not Porsche's, after all.

Currently in a Biscay Blue 2019 base loaner Cayenne -- had a white one last time. Base Cayennes are a ball to drive. Love love LOVE the base model relative to our Turbo for the price.

Good luck! Thanks for the kind words about our car.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:53 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I've made several posts about electronic gremlins that come and go. Nothing serious -- had the PCM screen go full edge-to-edge blue (an actual Blue Screen of Death!) the first night we had the car. Had to disconnect the battery for a hard reset to get it back online. That problem hasn't returned. We've also had various diagnostics / warnings at startup of features being broken or otherwise unavailable -- High Beam Assist, PAS, driving lights, etc. Turn the car off and re-start and they magically pass their diagnostics and become available again. Dealer made a pass at everything and gave the car a clean bill of health -- it's a software issue, they say. We shall see.

Other problems: The full-width rubber seal in front of the hatch (runs across the top of the car) was installed by a drunken, half-blind Slovakian at 4:55 on a Friday afternoon. (That's my theory, anyway.) It was sort of half-in and half-out in places, and you couldn't just shove it back in there. Dealer had to order a new seal and replace it. In doing so, they had to remove the active aero bits from the back, and somehow managed to drop the wing and its heavy steel hinges / motor / whatever else on the rear glass, scratching it nicely. Didn't notice that one until we got it home. They had to order the parts from Germany to fix that one. Took a month to get them here. The car is in their care right now. I think they'll get it right this time -- this one is on their dime, not Porsche's, after all.

Currently in a Biscay Blue 2019 base loaner Cayenne -- had a white one last time. Base Cayennes are a ball to drive. Love love LOVE the base model relative to our Turbo for the price.

Good luck! Thanks for the kind words about our car.
That is such a bummer for your car. I hope when you get it back ,you can get some problem free miles out of it.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Thanks, fkim011. We hope so too. My wife gets defensive any time I even vaguely bring up whether the car will be reliable long-term.

"The Cayenne will be fine," she'll say. "I love her. She knows that. It's enough." Then her eyes will darken to coal-black, and she'll channel the late Charlton Heston: "From my cold, dead hands!"

I look down at my feet and step backward carefully at that point.

So far the problems been niggles, nothing more. No real worries here. Just don't read the flatbed posts by poor LMB.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Hankopotamus
5th Gear

has anyone actually tested the claimed 3.7 0-60 time? I know my 991 tts did about .2 faster than the stated time from Porsche... Curious how the cayenne is performing in the real world.

Quick Reply: Ordered a CTT- car stork can't fly fast enough