Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Finally after 3 weeks and over 50x configuration simulation

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice configuration, I'd only suggest to drop the exterior package and add 20'' wheels.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by london123
"Adaptive air suspension with level control and height adjustment incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), 14,986 SGD DROP THIS OPTION, NOT NECESSARY"

Can you elaborate why unnecessary? Does air suspension not improve the ride in terms of pliancy & 'dampening' , eg over potholes, speedbumps etc.

Also, with regards to ambient lighting, does this simply provide more illumination in the cabin or am i missing something?
Ask six people, you'll get six responses on this. PASM includes active dampers, which continually adjust to road conditions, adding compliancy or stiffness as needed many times per second. While true that it is one more thing that can break, I've found in the two cars I've owned with this type of suspension, the technology provides a noticeable improvement in ride and handling over standard dampers.

Regarding air suspension: We have it on our Turbo, obviously. First time we've owned a car with it. Coupled with PASM, the ride is sublime. It's stiff when you want it to be (in Sport / Sport Plus mode, for example) but never overbearing and teeth-rattling. When we leave the car in Normal, which isn't often, we cruise around in a compliant but not floaty car that soaks up ruts, potholes, washboard surfaces, speed bumps, you name it like it was an E-Class. It's very impressive technology.

Yes, it WILL be expensive to repair when it breaks. And it will break -- no doubt about it. But if you're buying a Porsche, you'd better be prepared for high out-of-warranty repair costs in the first place. So it's not a concern of ours.

My wife and I give PASM plus air suspension huge thumbs up. They transform the Cayenne from exceedingly good with base suspension, which we have driven extensively in loaner car form (unfortunately), to exceptional. It's a dramatic difference that's worth the money in our book.

Oh, and the raising and lowering bit is cool too. We drive around in our Turbo with the suspension set to Low most of the time. It is one aggressive-looking SUV.

Hope one couple's advice helps.

Almost forgot your ambient lighting question -- yes, it all it does is add some cool science-fictiony lighting in the door panels, footwells, cupholder and other areas. The color choices are limited and vaguely disappointing IMHO. Mercedes-Benz does it much better, with a far wider range of colors. Considering all the system does it mix LEDs together to produce the colors, there's no reason Porsche can't add a bunch more through a firmware update if they choose. My guess is that they will NOT choose. Enjoy your eight colors, two of which are white. Still, it's better than the plain lighting, which is downright dull.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:20 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

"Adaptive air suspension with level control and height adjustment incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), 14,986 SGD DROP THIS OPTION, NOT NECESSARY"

Can you elaborate why unnecessary? Does air suspension not improve the ride in terms of pliancy & 'dampening' , eg over potholes, speedbumps etc.

Also, with regards to ambient lighting, does this simply provide more illumination in the cabin or am i missing something?
As JCWLS3 stated there are many opinions on this point. The S includes PASM and that's fine but out of budget for this buyer. PASM is a 6,296 SGD option on the Base model and could be added but if we are on a tight budget, no, skip it. PASM with the Adaptive air suspension for someone who is 1) buying their first new car, and 2) their first new Porsche, the added expense is not justified for a person who lives on a 30-square mile island. Upgraded seats, full leather, upgraded stereo, nice wheels, upgraded lighting and this new buyer will have a sweet ride, all within budget.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:13 AM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Ask six people, you'll get six responses on this. PASM includes active dampers, which continually adjust to road conditions, adding compliancy or stiffness as needed many times per second. While true that it is one more thing that can break, I've found in the two cars I've owned with this type of suspension, the technology provides a noticeable improvement in ride and handling over standard dampers.

Regarding air suspension: We have it on our Turbo, obviously. First time we've owned a car with it. Coupled with PASM, the ride is sublime. It's stiff when you want it to be (in Sport / Sport Plus mode, for example) but never overbearing and teeth-rattling. When we leave the car in Normal, which isn't often, we cruise around in a compliant but not floaty car that soaks up ruts, potholes, washboard surfaces, speed bumps, you name it like it was an E-Class. It's very impressive technology.

Yes, it WILL be expensive to repair when it breaks. And it will break -- no doubt about it. But if you're buying a Porsche, you'd better be prepared for high out-of-warranty repair costs in the first place. So it's not a concern of ours.

My wife and I give PASM plus air suspension huge thumbs up. They transform the Cayenne from exceedingly good with base suspension, which we have driven extensively in loaner car form (unfortunately), to exceptional. It's a dramatic difference that's worth the money in our book.

Oh, and the raising and lowering bit is cool too. We drive around in our Turbo with the suspension set to Low most of the time. It is one aggressive-looking SUV.

Hope one couple's advice helps.

Almost forgot your ambient lighting question -- yes, it all it does is add some cool science-fictiony lighting in the door panels, footwells, cupholder and other areas. The color choices are limited and vaguely disappointing IMHO. Mercedes-Benz does it much better, with a far wider range of colors. Considering all the system does it mix LEDs together to produce the colors, there's no reason Porsche can't add a bunch more through a firmware update if they choose. My guess is that they will NOT choose. Enjoy your eight colors, two of which are white. Still, it's better than the plain lighting, which is downright dull.
Thank you, @redyps & JCWLS3.
I had air suspension blow out on me on a previous ML500, twice at 60k mile mark, & again on a C350e at 50k mark, hence the hesitancy although i do not have a comparative experience against steel springs on the exact models with regards to the ride quality.
My wife just wants a S-class quality ride, rather than stiff suspension - she has an E-class as her daily ride, but i wasn't sure whether the added cost of air suspension transforms the ride to such a degree.
In UK, PASM is standard with the ehybrid.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for everyone's response.

Re: PASM, im really2 confused, theres a thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sm-or-not.html) that
says PASM makes the whole difference between the ride. I cant stand the wheel gaps, so even if i dont get the Air suspension, ill be putting on the h&r lowering springs.

What do you all think? the roads in singapore is as smooth as it gets, so i dont foresee any harshness issue.

Re: Sports design kit, i think it really looks nice on the car but i understand is a really waste of money. I can probably get a techart body kit for the same price. (problem
with singapore is that if you configure it with the car, its tax 2.5x). Techart though is a bit too aggressive for my liking

Re: Wheels, i will buy them after i build the car as its much cheaper by SGD4-5k if bought separately

Re: Leather, i will get optional full leather.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Patek2301

Re: PASM, im really2 confused, theres a thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sm-or-not.html) that
says PASM makes the whole difference between the ride. I cant stand the wheel gaps, so even if i dont get the Air suspension, ill be putting on the h&r lowering springs.

What do you all think? the roads in singapore is as smooth as it gets, so i dont foresee any harshness issue.

Re: Sports design kit, i think it really looks nice on the car but i understand is a really waste of money. I can probably get a techart body kit for the same price. (problem
with singapore is that if you configure it with the car, its tax 2.5x). Techart though is a bit too aggressive for my liking

Re: Wheels, i will buy them after i build the car as its much cheaper by SGD4-5k if bought separately

Patek -

If you are struggling with the PASM decision, just get it, and then you will never regret not getting it. I think I see the look you are going for. How about the 21-inch Cayenne Exclusive Design wheels painted in exterior colour incl. wheel arch extensions Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur. I would also switch to the Black / Red Bordeaux interior to match this 'boldness'.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:15 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Considering that i live in Singapore (where every the car and option is at least 2.5x US) i need to be very careful in try to be as cost efficient as i can. This is also my first time buying a new car.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKXJLSB1

Base price Cayenne - 343,488 SGD

Price for Equipment - 44,164 SGD
Total Price* - 387,652 SGD

SportDesign front apron Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur, 12,541 SGD
Exterior package in black (high-gloss), 1,405 SGD

Adaptive air suspension with level control and height adjustment incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), 14,986 SGD

comfort and assistance systems- ParkAssist (front and rear) including Surround View, 3,002 SGD

Interior - Comfort seats front (14-way, electric) with memory package, 5,061 SGD

Smoking package, 219 SGD

Audio / Comm.- BOSE® Surround Sound system, 5,496 SGD

Total Price*
387,652 SGD

Please let me know your thoughts? i actually really wanted the smooth leather interior, but i decided to stick with partial leather and added the 14 way comfort seats and added abit more to get PASM w air suspension. I also intend to get 22inch VFF107 vorsteiner which is much cheaper.
Do you think the black mojave beige is hard to maintain?

Everybody's view of what's important and what is not is so subjective. But I'd delete the air suspension (I have had it on my Panameras because they have low ground clearance, but I had problems with it in my first Panamera, and it's known to be a pain in Porsches via breaking down). I'd delete the Bose music system, also; the base system is plenty good (I've had both, and am happy with the base, standard sound system; I'm a musician and audiophile, and I don't get trying to make your car sound like your stereo system in your house). I'd delete the sport-design front apron, also. These are very expensive options. If I were going to spend that much on options, I'd go for a mildly optioned E-Hybrid -- but you'd need a garage to make that practical; living in Singapore, with its relatively small drive area, if you could charge up every night, you'd be making rare visits to gas stations. If I had to choose between the blind-spot warning light on mirrors (LCA) and the surround camera, I'd choose LCA for sure for the safety.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:03 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Everybody's view of what's important and what is not is so subjective. But I'd delete the air suspension (I have had it on my Panameras because they have low ground clearance, but I had problems with it in my first Panamera, and it's known to be a pain in Porsches via breaking down). I'd delete the Bose music system, also; the base system is plenty good (I've had both, and am happy with the base, standard sound system; I'm a musician and audiophile, and I don't get trying to make your car sound like your stereo system in your house). I'd delete the sport-design front apron, also. These are very expensive options. If I were going to spend that much on options, I'd go for a mildly optioned E-Hybrid -- but you'd need a garage to make that practical; living in Singapore, with its relatively small drive area, if you could charge up every night, you'd be making rare visits to gas stations. If I had to choose between the blind-spot warning light on mirrors (LCA) and the surround camera, I'd choose LCA for sure for the safety.
I would keep the sport design front fascia. It is a good middle ground between nothing and the full sport design package. You don't have to spend more money to get the painted look around the exhausts. It is a bit too much in my opinion. The front fascia will get you the front and sides which look the best in my opinion. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

I had air suspension blow out on me on a previous ML500, twice at 60k mile mark, & again on a C350e at 50k mark, hence the hesitancy although i do not have a comparative experience against steel springs on the exact models with regards to the ride quality.
Your experience would make me hesitate, too. I get what you're saying.
My wife just wants a S-class quality ride, rather than stiff suspension - she has an E-class as her daily ride, but i wasn't sure whether the added cost of air suspension transforms the ride to such a degree.
I can say unequivocally that yes, PASM with air suspension makes a dramatic and noticeable improvement in ride quality across the board. This is not a subjective observation, as in, "Hey, SportDesign sucks," or, "Get the blackout trim or you'll regret it." Test-drive a base steel-spring Cayenne without PASM, then hop in one with the works. You will feel the difference in your bones. And your ***. And if you're like me, your bony ***. It is that obvious.

What I am not saying is that it is worth the money, or the repair hassle down the line. That's a subjective judgement that only you can decide. But if your wife wants her Cayenne to ride like an S- or E-Class Merc, Porsche has given you an expensive way to do that: PASM with air. On the plus side, as I mentioned earlier, it will ride smoothly and benignly when you want that. But firm it up and the car will rock your world in the curves. I have never driven any car that handles as well as our Turbo. And I've had some cool RWD sport sedans and other cars. And the kicker is this extraordinary truth: It's a tippy-toe box on wheels.

I can't rave enough about the handling of the new Cayenne. This vehicle is so far beyond other SUVs (excepting maybe the Urus and Stelvio Quadrifoglio) that I really don't compare it with them. It's a tall, fat E39 M5 hatchback with an extra 150 horsepower and two more driven wheels.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:22 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

many thanks for that, JCWLS3

"It's a tall, fat E39 M5 hatchback with an extra 150 horsepower and two more driven wheels." !!!!!!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:01 AM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 149 Posts

Hey Patek,

I’ve been to Singapore a number of times, and the roads are indeed superb. Not everyone realizes how small the island is, and more importantly - what a huge deal owning a car in Singapore is. If the circumstances were different, I’d advise adding PASM etc. However, in this case I’d be taking Redyps advice. It’s spot on.

As JCWLS3 stated there are many opinions on this point. The S includes PASM and that's fine but out of budget for this buyer. PASM is a 6,296 SGD option on the Base model and could be added but if we are on a tight budget, no, skip it. PASM with the Adaptive air suspension for someone who is 1) buying their first new car, and 2) their first new Porsche, the added expense is not justified for a person who lives on a 30-square mile island. Upgraded seats, full leather, upgraded stereo, nice wheels, upgraded lighting and this new buyer will have a sweet ride, all within budget.
Regarding the lowering springs - I’ve read some non flattering reviews of their effects on Cayenne’s ride. I’m unsure of the specifics and circumstances. Some research may be in order.

Have fun

Quick Reply: Finally after 3 weeks and over 50x configuration simulation