Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Axle Steering- *REALLY* worth $3790?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rear Axle Steering- *REALLY* worth $3790?

It seems like every time someone asks "is xyz option really worth it?"- most of us reply "absolutely I love it". But I've tried to keep my e-hybrid build at $100k and just can't get it lower than $102.5k. Fine. But adding Real Axle Steering REQUIRES Air Suspension. Our Kiwi friend Nick Murray that reviewed all options in a Youtube video said the air suspension seemed "pillow-y"- "floaty"- too soft so skip it. But if you want RAS, you have to also get air suspension.

We do one maybe 2 car trips a year, but otherwise it'll be in town suburban driving. Is RAS and Air Suspension really worth $3790 for this kind of use? Thanks everyone

You want to add:
Rear Axle Steering
$1,620
The following option will be added:
Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
$2,170
Price update on current configuration:
+$3,790
Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsclarke
It seems like every time someone asks "is xyz option really worth it?"- most of us reply "absolutely I love it". But I've tried to keep my e-hybrid build at $100k and just can't get it lower than $102.5k. Fine. But adding Real Axle Steering REQUIRES Air Suspension. Our Kiwi friend Nick Murray that reviewed all options in a Youtube video said the air suspension seemed "pillow-y"- "floaty"- too soft so skip it. But if you want RAS, you have to also get air suspension.

We do one maybe 2 car trips a year, but otherwise it'll be in town suburban driving. Is RAS and Air Suspension really worth $3790 for this kind of use? Thanks everyone

You want to add:
Rear Axle Steering
$1,620
$2,170
+$3,790
Everytime I think about adding some additional features, I try to stick to my mantra. Keep it simple. Less is more. Is it really worth spending more money on all this stuff? If you are a value person then I would probably not get it. The more you spend just means the more potential problems later down the road. I like how Nick kept framing it as this is an SUV not a high performance sports car. It is easy to get carried away and want to have it all. No real sense in spending all that money on performance when it is probably marginal. If you have the money, plan to use the function a lot and it has value to you, then you should get it. I just think if it's an SUV then you are better off spending more on the luxurious items in the car than the performance. If you have kids then you probably want to keep it simple since the interior will probably wear harder and faster. At the end of the day, everyone has their own preference and you should go with what will make you happy.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:46 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally think it is worth it. Suspension and steering is used everyday, every time you drive however, I did have a base for a couple days without air suspension and ras. To be completely honest, the non air suspension and without RAS...it was still a great driving SUV. Still heads and shoulders above anything else out there. If you've never experienced RAS or the air suspension, you will never feel like you're missing out on anything.

I am different from the above poster cause I care more about the way it drives over the luxury stuff. That is why mine is outfitted the way it is...

If you're trying to stay within a budget, I think it is more important to get the air suspension then the RAS. Not the other way around. No wrong answers either way...best of luck!
Old 02-01-2019, 02:55 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fkim011
I personally think it is worth it. Suspension and steering is used everyday, every time you drive however, I did have a base for a couple days without air suspension and ras. To be completely honest, the non air suspension and without RAS...it was still a great driving SUV. Still heads and shoulders above anything else out there. If you've never experienced RAS or the air suspension, you will never feel like you're missing out on anything.

I am different from the above poster cause I care more about the way it drives over the luxury stuff. That is why mine is outfitted the way it is...

If you're trying to stay within a budget, I think it is more important to get the air suspension then the RAS. Not the other way around. No wrong answers either way...best of luck!
+1. I'm still debating whether to add PASM, though. LOL!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:32 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

You want to add:
Rear Axle Steering
$1,620
$2,170
+$3,790

If you are at $100K you must have gotten some “unrational” options too . Just saying!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:39 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think they are both worth it. Ride is smooth but not floaty at all (I have PDCC and PASM too). RAS really makes the car feel smaller. When manuevering for parking in the city, it's a big help, and at speed the car is more responsive. For a e-hybrid, I think air suspension will be helpful given all of the extra weight.

My take is that Porsche is never going to win the value argument. You can get a very competent SUV from any number of manufacturers for a lot less.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who has a cayanne turbo with all the “performance” options... is it worth it? I don’t know. Sure the RAS means the car is more nimble and easier to park/ turn, but is it necessary? Probably not. Take more space when you turn. Air suspension... well, it’s standard on turbos, but we leave it in the “medium” height mode, or “low”, but I’ve driven a non air suspension car and it’s great.
the issue with the performance options is that it’s easy to just choose all. Frankly the one you notice most (although it’s also not necessary) is PDCC.
I would suggest driving a car with and without and see how much you notice it and feel the difference. Once you start ticking boxes it’s hard to stop.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:14 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by QQQ
Everytime I think about adding some additional features, I try to stick to my mantra. Keep it simple. Less is more. Is it really worth spending more money on all this stuff? If you are a value person then I would probably not get it. The more you spend just means the more potential problems later down the road. I like how Nick kept framing it as this is an SUV not a high performance sports car. It is easy to get carried away and want to have it all. No real sense in spending all that money on performance when it is probably marginal. If you have the money, plan to use the function a lot and it has value to you, then you should get it. I just think if it's an SUV then you are better off spending more on the luxurious items in the car than the performance. If you have kids then you probably want to keep it simple since the interior will probably wear harder and faster. At the end of the day, everyone has their own preference and you should go with what will make you happy.
I've also seen the opposite argued, i.e. that because it's a 5000lb+ vehicle, all the performance enhancements are *more* important, not less, in order to make the drive feel more nimble and less like a 5000lb+ vehicle. I get the logic either way. it's interesting to ponder however.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by QQQ
Very true, but Porsche does it’s best to tempt you with all these options
Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to add:
Rear Axle Steering
$1,620
$2,170
+$3,790
My Cayenne S came with rear wheel steering and I love it. It is great for city parking lots plus I have a tight maneuver boat/garage combination and really appreciate the reduced turning radius of the rear steering. I also love the suspension that goes with it. Well worth it....but then if you are buying a Porsche "value" is an academic word.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 AM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the keep it simple camp. We keep our vehicles 8-9 years so our incoming e-hybrid will be out of warranty well before then. Air suspension will fail, just a matter of time. I see 8-10 year old vehicles with AS sitting all crooked in parking lots all the time. Great while under warranty or if you lease and jump vehicles every 2-4 years, but very expensive to repair out of warranty. Was discussing RAS with my SA and he told me about a customer who let his daughter drive his 911 turbo. She curbed the rear wheel, while parallel parking, damaging some RAS component. Cost $6K to repair (not covered under warranty) Hopefully the components are a little tougher on a SUV. Naturally don't let an inexperienced driver drive your $100k car but Ooops's occasionally happen. RAS shaves off 2' from the turning radius, Cayenne is a large car, you will most likely have to 3 point turn in a tight area anyways. Just my 2c worth.

I just built our car on the US configurator and it came in at $99k Ironically the car is cheaper in Canada as the same build is $114k CDN but given the exchange rate $99k USD would be $131K CDN. 114k CDN is is $86K USD, what a bargain =) We do get shafted up here with 15% tax but that is peanuts compared to some of the other countries in Europe or Asia.

In any case, keep is simple. We test drove a base Cayenne with the 21" wheels. Ride was perfect. Test drive back to back and come to your own conclusion.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Ideally you'd test drive with and without before ordering. My vote is Get It.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Steering- *REALLY* worth $3790?