Sponsored By:

Black or Jet Black Metallic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:20 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonRite
A simple solution, if you want to go with black non-metallic paint, would be to have it ceramic coated. You won’t have to worry too much about surface scratches or swirl marks. I would just make sure to go with the ceramic package which includes at least 2 or 3 layers(CeramicPro gold package or Opti-Coat Pro+) and not just the 1 layer basic packages.

If you don’t want to go the ceramic coating route, then I’d recommend going with the metallic black.

Here’s a photo of my black turbo with 2 layers of Ceramic Pro. The next 2 layers will be applied sometime this week. The photos did not come out too well. It’s far shinier in person than what’s shown.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your amazing looking turbo! I am leaning towards the metallic black but also interested in these ceramic coatings everyone talks about. Now I am debating if I should get clear tail lights. It looks really good with how glossy and reflective your car is. Amazing!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Shiny!

Regarding swirls and surface scratches, that's a confusing subject. I talked to a very reputable GTechniq installer in our area (the only certified one, actually) at length about our Moonlight Blue Turbo. He told me the point of ceramics was not to prevent swirls or scratches, but to act as a sacrificial layer above the clear coat for said swirls and scratches. In other words, you're still going to get them. But unless they're deep, they'll be relegated to the ceramic coating, not the paint. A bonus is ease of cleaning, he reported. As a general rule, dirt and grime don't stick very well, so you can rinse off the filth easier. That process can reduce swirls and scratches because you're not touching / rubbing the car as much as you might otherwise.

What's your experience? Do you agree with him? He's been running his business for 10 years now and has a great, honest rep around town. Still debating about whether to have him do a paint correction and ceramic.

FYI, I talked to another ceramic coat shop, who tried to give me the whole "Your car will stay pristine forever. Swirls are a thing of the past!" spiel. Obviously, I didn't call him back.
Great info to keep in mind. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Ceramic coating is great, looks great washed and minimal upkeep. Though the soap and bucket routine needs a bit of change, it’s definitely worth the cost.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 PM
MasonRite
Track Day

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Regarding swirls and surface scratches, that's a confusing subject. I talked to a very reputable GTechniq installer in our area (the only certified one, actually) at length about our Moonlight Blue Turbo. He told me the point of ceramics was not to prevent swirls or scratches, but to act as a sacrificial layer above the clear coat for said swirls and scratches. In other words, you're still going to get them. But unless they're deep, they'll be relegated to the ceramic coating, not the paint. A bonus is ease of cleaning, he reported. As a general rule, dirt and grime don't stick very well, so you can rinse off the filth easier. That process can reduce swirls and scratches because you're not touching / rubbing the car as much as you might otherwise.
What's your experience? Do you agree with him? He's been running his business for 10 years now and has a great, honest rep around town. Still debating about whether to have him do a paint correction and ceramic.
I do agree with him.
I only had a single coat applied to my metallic-black X5M and the 1st year it was immaculate. At this point I don't have any noticeable swirl marks yet but I do have some surface scratches which were caused from improper/negligent washing on my part. Overall, I am very happy I had the ceramic coating applied but I do believe if you have a darker color it's worth paying a little extra to go with a package that has more coats of 9H or 10H(which ever marketing # they are now using!). I would like think it will make a big difference having 4 layers instead of 1.

I don't think you would regret having ceramic coating applied.

When it comes brands, Opti, CPro, GTech, I think they all do pretty much the same damn thing. If you search any car forum people swear that one brand is better than the other. Personally, I would pick the better installer over which brand you go with. It's just a guess but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all three companies get their coatings from one company and just rebrand it!
Old 03-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi everyone--I'm brand new on the forum and just placed an order with my build for a 992 last week. I keep going back and forth between what seems to be the age old question--black vs. jet black metallic- before my order locks in a couple of weeks. I was spoiled with maintaining silver before, but I really want black and am prepared to do all the coatings needed to maintain it. Does anyone have a picture of a black with a metallic black next to it? I'm leaning towards straight black, since I'm a bit afraid the metallic may look blue? If I'm in the wrong part of the forum and someone can send me the right away that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Metalblond; 03-06-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:31 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

wrap
Old 05-28-2021, 03:06 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 93 Posts

Not that this thread needs reviving, but some folks arriving here from Google should know that any black can look good dirty too. If you go A1 Black, ceramic coat it and let it get messy knowing you can just hose it down with a no-rinse solution and be on your way.

The following users liked this post:
secondtimer (01-16-2022)
Old 05-28-2021, 03:24 AM
ckarlos
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for ceramic coating. It makes car washing a lot easier.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:22 PM
gkellys
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I happen to own both. 2016 Macan Turbo in jet black metallic and a 2020 Cayenne Turbo in black.
Neither are coated. In my side by side eyes, yes the black is more prone to swirling than the metallic.
However, the Black hands down looks better when clean, and imho the black looks hands down better than metallic black when dirty as well,
and they both get dirty at the same rate.
My vote is black hands down.
Also MUCH easier to touch up paint! FROM EXPERIENCE 😅

Last edited by gkellys; 05-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:13 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by gkellys
I happen to own both. 2016 Macan Turbo in jet black metallic and a 2020 Cayenne Turbo in black.
Neither are coated. In my side by side eyes, yes the black is more prone to swirling than the metallic.
However, the Black hands down looks better when clean, and imho the black looks hands down better than metallic black when dirty as well,
and they both get dirty at the same rate.
My vote is black hands down.
Also MUCH easier to touch up paint! FROM EXPERIENCE 😅
Hands down, I think the lighter colours are better choices if you want the car to look better after some wear. But, black cars, hands down, look better in the shade.

Quick Reply: Black or Jet Black Metallic?