Sponsored By:

Able to Disable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:37 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Able to Disable?

I, and my wife find the annoying: "Strum, Strum, Strum, Strum" that sounds off when you start the car and when you disconnect the seat belts (even when set to lowest volume) hard to tolerate. Three other gripes, 1) not be able to lock the car with the unlock button on inside driver door (every car I've owned could do it), 2) standing outside the car attempting to lock it with door handle which has varying times of delay while you look foolish repeating the act, 3) inconsistency of rear hatch opening with the foot action (it does want to go up and hit me in the head from sensing my hand while attaching trailer tongue chains though). How many people have nailed their shins attempting this
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by tmuchacho
I, and my wife find the annoying: "Strum, Strum, Strum, Strum" that sounds off when you start the car and when you disconnect the seat belts (even when set to lowest volume) hard to tolerate. Three other gripes, 1) not be able to lock the car with the unlock button on inside driver door (every car I've owned could do it), 2) standing outside the car attempting to lock it with door handle which has varying times of delay while you look foolish repeating the act, 3) inconsistency of rear hatch opening with the foot action (it does want to go up and hit me in the head from sensing my hand while attaching trailer tongue chains though). How many people have nailed their shins attempting this
My wife and I have referred to the noise you mention as “The Porsche racket.” Bring newbies we don’t know any better. But yes, it’s annoying. You are not alone.

I can’t comment on (1), but I’ve experienced (2) and (3) directly. Two is incredibly annoying. I’ve stood there like moron fingering the virtual door lock with the same nonresponsive results I had as a 15-year-old boy. Sometimes I give up and lock it with the fob. The loaner base Cayenne we picked up Saturday while our Turbo is in for minor diagnostics and repair fares no better.

As for (3), we’ve pretty much given up on the foot sweep. We do not like looking foolish — “Look at that rich ***** and his fancy Porsche over there. Why is he dancing around the back with one leg?” So it’s manual button-release or fob for us.

Porsche nails the important bit — driving dynamics. But so far our experience is that they generally suck at everything else.

Last edited by JCWLS3; 01-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:31 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I find that putting my right foot just right of the towing cover works well to open the hatch.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For #2 I had trouble also until my SA told me to just touch with one finger the indent on the door handle to lock the car. I have not had a problem since.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 AM
Kodiak105
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are all software issues. Pray to the deity of your choice that Porsche is better than Range Rover (and Mercedes, and BMW) at coming up with fixes.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscherex
For #2 I had trouble also until my SA told me to just touch with one finger the indent on the door handle to lock the car. I have not had a problem since.
I figured that one out my my own (what a smart guy!). The car is still occasionally obstinate like a mule. But hitting the right spot helps.

Kodiak: Praying!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the opposite? Has anyone run into the issue where they've had the rear hatch close in over their heads because they accidentally put their foot under the rear bumper while loading/unloading from the trunk? Its happened to me more than once, and it doesnt look like there's much of a safety mechanism built into the hatch to stop it from closing if its about to lop off your head.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Simran Ahluwalia
How about the opposite? Has anyone run into the issue where they've had the rear hatch close in over their heads because they accidentally put their foot under the rear bumper while loading/unloading from the trunk? Its happened to me more than once, and it doesnt look like there's much of a safety mechanism built into the hatch to stop it from closing if its about to lop off your head.
This has happened to me while hooking up the safety chains of my cargo trailer to the Cayenne. If you hook up the plug for the trailer lights/brakes first, the trunk will unlatch but not open up or stay up if its already open. Its semi-smart in this regard.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:23 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it hits you or you stick your arm to block it, does it then stop closing and open back up?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:27 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can disable the foot action PCM.

I had problem opening it, just put your foot under the center and quickly move your foot away, few seconds later it will open. If you leave your foot there then it won't.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QQQ
When it hits you or you stick your arm to block it, does it then stop closing and open back up?
So if you put your arm underneath, it will eventually stop. BUT, that takes a considerable amount of force to keep the door from closing down before it decides to give up! I took it to my SA and even he was surprised that it was that difficult. I mean I'm worried that if it was my kiddo instead of me, the outcome could be pretty unpleasant. In all the other vehicles I've had, as soon as the hatch encounters ANY resistance, it immediately reverses direction, but not with the Cayenne.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:12 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

So if you put your arm underneath, it will eventually stop. BUT, that takes a considerable amount of force to keep the door from closing down before it decides to give up! I took it to my SA and even he was surprised that it was that difficult. I mean I'm worried that if it was my kiddo instead of me, the outcome could be pretty unpleasant. In all the other vehicles I've had, as soon as the hatch encounters ANY resistance, it immediately reverses direction, but not with the Cayenne.
Don't worry. The Germans know best. If your elbow gets bruised or your ulna cracked, it's because you are too weak. You must toughen up to operate your Cayenne properly!

Old 10-27-2019, 04:19 AM
2powjimm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to disable the foot action PCM

Originally Posted by vangoose
You can disable the foot action PCM.

I had problem opening it, just put your foot under the center and quickly move your foot away, few seconds later it will open. If you leave your foot there then it won't.
Hello,
Could someone please help me understand how to disable the foot action on the tailgate? I have spent sometimes trying to figure it out without success...

Thank you
Old 10-27-2019, 10:26 AM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

To lock the car, try touching the outside of the handle with an open palm. You’re sure to hit the sensor. Works for me every time.

You want to stay away from the inside of the handle where the unlock sensor is.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:12 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2powjimm
Hello,
Could someone please help me understand how to disable the foot action on the tailgate? I have spent sometimes trying to figure it out without success...

Thank you

I believe that ability is being deleted via software updates during service visits.

Quick Reply: Able to Disable?