Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Quartzite Grey Metallic paint + Satin Platinum wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Quartzite Grey Metallic paint + Satin Platinum wheel?

Anyone have any direct experience putting these two things side by side? In the configurator, they look close(ish) and create the sort of monotone look that I crave. But, you know how colors are. In person this could be a terrible mis-match.

TIA.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Anyone have any direct experience putting these two things side by side? In the configurator, they look close(ish) and create the sort of monotone look that I crave. But, you know how colors are. In person this could be a terrible mis-match.

TIA.
I can't directly comment or answer your question, but I will waste your time and tell you that I am ordering my QG with these wheels in Satin.

I had the same dilemma as you, until I saw a Midnight Blue with these wheels in Satin and it looked stunning. I would have otherwise thought they would clash even more with Blue, but they did not.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:01 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I can't directly comment or answer your question, but I will waste your time and tell you that I am ordering my QG with these wheels in Satin.

I had the same dilemma as you, until I saw a Midnight Blue with these wheels in Satin and it looked stunning. I would have otherwise thought they would clash even more with Blue, but they did not.
Ha ha definitely not wasting time! I could talk about this all day
When is yours due in? Would love to see photos! Interesting about the combo with the Midnight Blue as my other build choice is MB with all the polished/silver accents rather than gloss black.

I assume dealers will have material samples if not actual vehicles configured as such? Maybe worst case I can hold the satin platinum wheel material against the QG paint chip.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Ha ha definitely not wasting time! I could talk about this all day
When is yours due in? Would love to see photos! Interesting about the combo with the Midnight Blue as my other build choice is MB with all the polished/silver accents rather than gloss black.

I assume dealers will have material samples if not actual vehicles configured as such? Maybe worst case I can hold the satin platinum wheel material against the QG paint chip.
Mine is due in April! You know, an eternity from now.
The MB with these wheels was at the dealership (Ray Catena in NJ). The MB looks almost black. Beautiful color, probably the best of the bunch. But good luck with the cleaning...
Dealers do have samples, and you may get lucky enough to see a real one on the lot with the color combo you want. Does not hurt to go look. And it's fun.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Although not exactly the same as Quarzite grey.. my 2018 Agate grey 911 has the platinum satin wheels. Similar questions went through my head, but... the result is fabulous and I'm glad I did it. The colour difference is subtle but still gives enough contrast.. and it looks classy! PS. I also have a QG Cayenne on order..
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

The MB with these wheels was at the dealership (Ray Catena in NJ). The MB looks almost black. Beautiful color, probably the best of the bunch. But good luck with the cleaning...
Dealers do have samples, and you may get lucky enough to see a real one on the lot with the color combo you want. Does not hurt to go look. And it's fun.
I'm not all that far from Ray Catena though have several nearer dealers to check out first. Either way I'll make the rounds to see what I find. Good luck waiting out eternity!

Originally Posted by Scott Cowan
Although not exactly the same as Quarzite grey.. my 2018 Agate grey 911 has the platinum satin wheels. Similar questions went through my head, but... the result is fabulous and I'm glad I did it. The colour difference is subtle but still gives enough contrast.. and it looks classy! PS. I also have a QG Cayenne on order..
Usually I don't repost photos when I quote posts, but for this car I make the exception! Rennlist doesn't seem to offer the drool emoji but DAYUM that's a nice automobile. Congrats and thanks for the pic and thoughts!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Pokingaround, you're welcome!
Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

You're spot-on regarding Moonlight Blue. Depending on the light the color looks either dark blue (sunlight) or midnight blue to black (overcast / dusk / indoors). See inline photo samples. Regarding cleaning, we have a metallic black sedan with which I fight a constant swirl-mark battle. We've had our MB Turbo for nearly a month. The car isn't any easier to keep detailed the right way.

Looking back, I wish I'd tried a little harder to talk my wife into choosing Rhodium Silver or Quartzite Grey, if only to help out my aching forearms and rotator cuffs. MB looks great when freshly detailed and polished, just like any black car. It's probably my favorite color until it's time to wash and detail it again.

As far as the original question of this thread goes, I think the combo of QG and Satin Platinum wheels in any style would look sharp. I don't think you'll go wrong there at all. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2019, 09:13 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Your Turbo looks amazing.

For better or worse, detailing cars myself is a thing in my past. True, no one can do it like I can
But, life's too short, and like you said - those rotator cuffs!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 PM
rs6033
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rs6033
Here you go.
Awesome thanks! That your ride? Sweet. Looks a lot like the build I'm toying with, though I'm probably going with one of the 21" variants. Your 22's look amazing!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Bahbahani
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:38 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bahbahani
Hope this helps!
Oh MAN is that sweet, and exactly the combo I'm leaning toward, gloss black trim and all. Absolutely beautiful. Almost looks like the liquid metal from T2

Thanks a ton for posting this.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Bahbahani
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Oh MAN is that sweet, and exactly the combo I'm leaning toward, gloss black trim and all. Absolutely beautiful. Almost looks like the liquid metal from T2

Thanks a ton for posting this.
Sure thing!
Honestly with my order, it was all a gamble at the time as Quarzite Grey was only available as a rendered color on the website with no sample or even a real life photo of the color.
Glad to report that it paid off very well. Here is another shot giving you that liquid metal vibe.

PS: In this shot, the car has full PPF and a layer of Nano Ceramic coating on top.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bahbahani
Sure thing!
Honestly with my order, it was all a gamble at the time as Quarzite Grey was only available as a rendered color on the website with no sample or even a real life photo of the color.
Glad to report that it paid off very well. Here is another shot giving you that liquid metal vibe.
PS: In this shot, the car has full PPF and a layer of Nano Ceramic coating on top.
Wow. So sweet. Question for you - I've leased my last several vehicles and so chose not to get overly concerned with day to day upkeep (specifically, I don't get these vehicles detailed, just simple washes from time to time with interior vacuuming if needed). But I'll likely buy rather than lease a Cayenne and so am just starting to research the various protective coatings, their costs, lifespan, etc. Can you tell me more about PPF and Nano Ceramic? TIA.

Quick Reply: Quartzite Grey Metallic paint + Satin Platinum wheel?