Sponsored By:

Some initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Some initial impressions

After a long wait, I was able to pick up my Cayenne Turbo on New Year's Day. So far the Cayenne Turbo has not disappointed in comparison to our old but beloved 2014 Cayenne GTS and my just departed 2016 X5M. The new Cayenne is a real improvement over what was a great SUV already (gen 2). The new transmission is better than the old GTS and even with bigger wheels/tires, it's smoother. The electronics are a big step up not just over the prior generation but also the competition.

I loaded my CTT with all of the performance options (PDCC, rear steering, Sport Chrono, PTV+, PCCB) and on twisty roads the ability of the car to stay flat is remarkable. The car feels much smaller than it is, and a lot smaller than the X5M (which was also almost 500 lb heavier). I have a tight turnaround at my garage and the rear steering really does help make the turning radius significantly tighter. I could never make the turn without some back and forth in the old Cayenne. We also have a Macan GTS (wife's car). The Macan is a much smaller, lighter vehicle but I would say that the new Cayenne is much more like the Macan than then old one. For those of you waiting for your Cayennes, the wait is worth it.

I have had a couple of weird electronic things (radio stations forgotten once, car forgets my Porsche ID), and I learned while getting my Wifi hotspot up and running that you need to re-activate the PCM phone if you turn off the wifi (buried in a separate menu). However, I already got a Navigation update pushed to me.

One note about the PCCB. I had ceramic brakes on a BMW F10 M5 and these are much better. When wet, the M5 brakes were sometimes a little scary. If you came out of a car wash, you had no brakes on the first push of the pedal. Also my X5M had constant squeals no matter what I did (there are lots of threads about this on the BMW boards) - I learned to live with it. So far, I'm impressed. Brakes work well dry or wet and in the cold and almost no sounds. And of course, no brake dust with powerful braking power. Almost worth the price.

I posted my delivery pics earlier but thought I would just put this picture of my two Turbos trying to stay warm since it is 15°F out. The Macan GTS is out braving the cold.

Last edited by WCH BOS; 01-14-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Addendum: I'm going to add more thoughts as time goes by here.

There has been some discussion of a couple of options. I had two in the past bundled with other options that I decided to pass on this time since they were ala carte.

HUD: I've had a HUD for the past 5 years and really liked the BMW implementation where you can put the posted speed next to your current speed. However, I couldn't use sunglasses and decided this time to pass. So far I am not missing it. The nav alerts were nice in the BMW but they come up around the tach in the Cayenne so I don't feel that I am missing anything.

Soft close doors: I had these on my X5M and M5. I used them but no one else in my family or anyone I gave a ride to did - they just slammed the doors like any other car. I was always a little worried about my daughter getting her fingers caught. I've had to re-train myself to push the door more firmly but again this is something I don't miss. Between these two, I am happy I saved $2300 - though this is a rounding error for this car.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Congrats. +1 on the rear wheels steering. The radius is unbelievably smaller and the handling is nothing I have experienced with any Cayenne in the past. Disagree with you on HUD as it is very good. Not sure of the speed limit signs (I think it does not have it) however, I am sure Porsche could update this later on with software.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:29 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Someone posted elsewhere that if you have Innodrive you can show the speed limit signs on the HUD. I wonder if having only ACC would also allow for that...

Quick Reply: Some initial impressions