Sponsored By:

Turbo with Sport Exhaust video

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Turbo with Sport Exhaust video

A few people have messaged me asking for video or sound of our new Turbo's Sport Exhaust. Attached is a short video of a cold startup with the baffles open / Sport Exhaust Mode engaged.

We think it's a good V8 growly burble. I didn't rev too much as the engine is green, but you get a decent idea of the kind of sounds the car makes. Inside the cabin, it's more muted, but still very noticeable and quite aggressive, particularly when you hammer it a little -- which I have, to about 4500 RPM, again in deference to break-in.

We're happy we spent the money on the option. $3500 is a ridiculous amount to ask for something that is standard in many high-performance cars nowadays. But for us, it completes the car.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
TurboSportExh.mov (3.38 MB, 1646 views)
The following users liked this post:
mglane83 (07-22-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 03:22 PM
adave
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic !
Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for posting. That sounds really awesome! A lot like my 2017 turbo.

I’m a bit choked though, because my dealer told me the Sport Exhaust was not available on the Turbo yet and removed that spec from my build. Clearly you managed to get it somehow so they obviously were mistaken.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:13 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for posting! Wow that sounds amazing
Old 01-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds amazing. I passed on it to keep the price down.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:04 AM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Would you mind posting a video without the baffles opened up? To see the difference? Just when you get a chance, and if not too much trouble.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:34 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments, everybody. Exhaust note and volume are an important part of our driving / ownership experience with a car like this. We are happy Porsche came through. It sounds very close to the 2018 Panamera Turbo with SE we test-drove, with and without Sport mode engaged.

Originally Posted by docmd2010
Would you mind posting a video without the baffles opened up? To see the difference? Just when you get a chance, and if not too much trouble.
I can do that. Give me a few days and I'll post back.

Originally Posted by Gasguzlr
I’m a bit choked though, because my dealer told me the Sport Exhaust was not available on the Turbo yet and removed that spec from my build. Clearly you managed to get it somehow so they obviously were mistaken.
Not sure where your dealer got that info, unless there's a shortage like there was with PSCB after we placed our order. Are you in the U.S.?

You might check back with your SA and have him dig deeper.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:43 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Not sure where your dealer got that info, unless there's a shortage like there was with PSCB after we placed our order. Are you in the U.S.?

You might check back with your SA and have him dig deeper.
I am located in Canada. I ordered my Turbo in late Aug, and it locked shortly after that. Still no word regarding delivery. Perhaps in Canada we are delayed in receiving the Turbo’s, as I’ve seen zero on the roads so far but quite a few standard Cayennes.

For me, the Sport Exhaust is a must, as I love the sound and that’s a big part of my driving enjoyment. They told me at the time they can eventually retro-fit the exhaust, but I’m not so sure about that option. I might just go aftermartket for the price they will likely charge me.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:10 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 609 Posts

I am located in Canada. I ordered my Turbo in late Aug, and it locked shortly after that. Still no word regarding delivery. Perhaps in Canada we are delayed in receiving the Turbo’s, as I’ve seen zero on the roads so far but quite a few standard Cayennes.

For me, the Sport Exhaust is a must, as I love the sound and that’s a big part of my driving enjoyment. They told me at the time they can eventually retro-fit the exhaust, but I’m not so sure about that option. I might just go aftermartket for the price they will likely charge me.
Something is wrong. Bug your dealer. I'm in Canada, and my order was put in the system in late November. It's shown as delayed by just over a month (down from the initial two months delay) due to PSCB shortage. And it's still not fully locked - for delayed orders, it's possible to put some changes in up to 2-3 weeks before it goes into production. My Turbo order has Sport Exhaust too (in black), and it did not cause any delays.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Something is wrong. Bug your dealer. I'm in Canada, and my order was put in the system in late November. It's shown as delayed by just over a month (down from the initial two months delay) due to PSCB shortage. And it's still not fully locked - for delayed orders, it's possible to put some changes in up to 2-3 weeks before it goes into production. My Turbo order has Sport Exhaust too (in black), and it did not cause any delays.
Thanks for the feedback. He did say that when I ordered back in Aug the SE was not yet available for factory order, and that’s why we had the conversation regarding the retro-fit. However, given the PSCB delay, I will call him tomorrow and see what the story is. He’s always been super helpful, so hopefully he can make it happen. Not having the Sport Exhaust is a real bummer for me. I know it adds nothing to performance, but I guess I’m just old school... in my opinion a 500+hp V8 should sound as exciting as it is to drive. I love hearing that thing purring and burbling away while just toodling to work and back, but when you get on it, it’s a friggin’ blast! Call me immature, I don’t care... it’s fun, and that’s what Porsches are all about.

Thanks again for the info! Very much appreciated. I’ll keep you posted.

And JCWLS3, thanks again for the great posts re your awesome new Turbo! What a beautiful machine, and it sounds fantastic! Congrats and enjoy that beast to the fullest.

Cheers!

r
Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Not having the Sport Exhaust is a real bummer for me. I know it adds nothing to performance, but I guess I’m just old school... in my opinion a 500+hp V8 should sound as exciting as it is to drive. I love hearing that thing purring and burbling away while just toodling to work and back, but when you get on it, it’s a friggin’ blast! Call me immature, I don’t care... it’s fun, and that’s what Porsches are all about.

I've posted identical thoughts elsewhere, and agree with you 100 percent. The exhaust sound is as important to us as the handling, suspension tuning, transmission shift quality, throttle response, seating, and pretty much anything else that involves driving the car. We'd hoped the SE would mirror the sound of the Panamera Turbo's SE. Even driving to pick up the car, we talked about our concerns as to whether the thing would make the right kinds of noises, and sort of half-coached ourselves up on how we would handle the disappointment if it sounded like a little stoic German kitten.

Because the car was an anniversary gift for her, our SA had parked the car outside with a big bow on the hood, immediately in front of the main showroom doors. There were a few people milling around it (only the second Turbo delivered to a customer, so we had our 15 minutes of localized fame right there) when she finally stopped ooohing and aaaahing, and hopped in to start it up. I stood at the back, fingers crossed, hoping for a nice WHOMP followed by a thick idle.

We were not disappointed.

Everybody turned heads, including our SA, who was standing next to me talking to one of the sales managers. One of the lookie-loos smiled and said, "That sounds mean." That was all I needed to hear.

We also feel the same way overall about the brand, I think. I've read a few posts here from people saying something to the effect of, "It's an SUV, not a sports car, so I don't need xxx or yyy sporty options on there." I think I understand what they mean, but I disagree completely. We stretched and bought a Porsche SUV precisely BECAUSE it is the sportiest, best-handling, fastest, tallest-sports-car-on-stilts this side of a Urus. Even in base trim, we think the 2019 Cayenne runs rings around nearly anything that's SUV-like in driving dynamics. Porsche deeply infused "sport" in the Cayenne, so why skimp on the sporty options, or drive it like an Equinox? You paid top-dollar for the things that make a Porsche a Porsche -- even in SUV form. Enhance them as your budget allows, and use them!

I bet you'll be able to find a good aftermarket resonator for half the price we paid for the Sport Exhaust that will get you the noisy ruckus you want. We initially spec'd our Turbo long before SE had even been released or discussed as an option. Our SA told us they had a couple of guys in the shop that would figure out a way to loud it up for us if we didn't like the factory sound. You'll be fine.

And yes, we are both highly immature middle-aged people. Sounds like we'd all get along just fine.

And JCWLS3, thanks again for the great posts re your awesome new Turbo! What a beautiful machine, and it sounds fantastic! Congrats and enjoy that beast to the fullest.
You are very kind. Thank you. My wife is beaming every time I walk in the door after work (she beats me home driving her Cayenne... what a surprise). She's fallen HARD for that Pepper. I'm sending prayers to the Reliability Gods that the thing is built as well as previous-gen cars. We are used to Japanese quality -- her last (dull) Infiniti never made a single return to the dealer for unexpected repairs in 4.5 years. That's gonna be tough to beat. We have been spoiled in that regard, probably unrealistically.

Be sure to post pics of yours when it comes in!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:47 AM
Gitana991
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your posts JCWLS3! I have a Cayenne Turbo on order for delivery in February/ March and the Sport Exhaust is an option I ticked as well. Coming from a previous gen Cayenne Turbo (Mk2), I am going to miss the 4.8 rumble which makes my lounge “vibrate” when my wife’s parks in front of our house! With all reviews from car magazines pointing at the lesser sound of the 4.0 Turbo engine, I was a bit nervous until I heard your video. Now I am super excited. The car in itself seems an great step up from the current model and I had a chance to test the new Cayenne Turbo on track: what these cars can do is quite amazing! If there is any chance you can post a few other videos of how great the PSE sounds on your car, this would be awesome. I admit I am checking this post a few times a day in the hope of new video posts!😁
Old 01-05-2019, 04:52 AM
Gitana991
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your posts JCWLS3! I have a Cayenne Turbo on order for delivery in February/ March and the Sport Exhaust is an option I ticked as well. Coming from a previous gen Cayenne Turbo (Mk2), I am going to miss the 4.8 rumble which makes my lounge “vibrate” when my wife’s parks in front of our house! With all reviews from car magazines pointing at the lesser sound of the 4.0 Turbo engine, I was a bit nervous until I heard your video. Now I am super excited. The car in itself seems an great step up from the current model and I had a chance to test the new Cayenne Turbo on track: what these cars can do is quite amazing! If there is any chance you can post a few other videos of how great the PSE sounds on your car, this would be awesome. I admit I am checking this post a few times a day in the hope of new video posts!😁
Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWT: I too am in Canada, ordered turbo WITHOUT sport exhaust opted instead for burmeister. Felt one wouldn’t compliment the other. My order locked end of October and it’s ready and waiting at Embden for a ship.

Good to know it’s possible to have an after market solution.

JCWLS3: thanks for informative and entertaining posts. This is my very first Porsche as well and I am beyond excited. Congratulations on your gorgeous beast!

I too check in several times a day to this forum. Can’t wait to get mine! ��

Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I've posted identical thoughts elsewhere, and agree with you 100 percent. The exhaust sound is as important to us as the handling, suspension tuning, transmission shift quality, throttle response, seating, and pretty much anything else that involves driving the car. We'd hoped the SE would mirror the sound of the Panamera Turbo's SE. Even driving to pick up the car, we talked about our concerns as to whether the thing would make the right kinds of noises, and sort of half-coached ourselves up on how we would handle the disappointment if it sounded like a little stoic German kitten.

Because the car was an anniversary gift for her, our SA had parked the car outside with a big bow on the hood, immediately in front of the main showroom doors. There were a few people milling around it (only the second Turbo delivered to a customer, so we had our 15 minutes of localized fame right there) when she finally stopped ooohing and aaaahing, and hopped in to start it up. I stood at the back, fingers crossed, hoping for a nice WHOMP followed by a thick idle.

We were not disappointed.

Everybody turned heads, including our SA, who was standing next to me talking to one of the sales managers. One of the lookie-loos smiled and said, "That sounds mean." That was all I needed to hear.

We also feel the same way overall about the brand, I think. I've read a few posts here from people saying something to the effect of, "It's an SUV, not a sports car, so I don't need xxx or yyy sporty options on there." I think I understand what they mean, but I disagree completely. We stretched and bought a Porsche SUV precisely BECAUSE it is the sportiest, best-handling, fastest, tallest-sports-car-on-stilts this side of a Urus. Even in base trim, we think the 2019 Cayenne runs rings around nearly anything that's SUV-like in driving dynamics. Porsche deeply infused "sport" in the Cayenne, so why skimp on the sporty options, or drive it like an Equinox? You paid top-dollar for the things that make a Porsche a Porsche -- even in SUV form. Enhance them as your budget allows, and use them!

I bet you'll be able to find a good aftermarket resonator for half the price we paid for the Sport Exhaust that will get you the noisy ruckus you want. We initially spec'd our Turbo long before SE had even been released or discussed as an option. Our SA told us they had a couple of guys in the shop that would figure out a way to loud it up for us if we didn't like the factory sound. You'll be fine.

And yes, we are both highly immature middle-aged people. Sounds like we'd all get along just fine.

You are very kind. Thank you. My wife is beaming every time I walk in the door after work (she beats me home driving her Cayenne... what a surprise). She's fallen HARD for that Pepper. I'm sending prayers to the Reliability Gods that the thing is built as well as previous-gen cars. We are used to Japanese quality -- her last (dull) Infiniti never made a single return to the dealer for unexpected repairs in 4.5 years. That's gonna be tough to beat. We have been spoiled in that regard, probably unrealistically.

Be sure to post pics of yours when it comes in!
Yes, I think we are definitely on a similar wavelength. Porsche as a company is definitely focused on driver enjoyment, moreso than most other car companies out there. I love the history, heritage, build, performance and most of all... fun factor. We have owned other brands as well, but since our first Porsche we have stuck to the brand. This will be our eighth P car. I live well into the snow belt, and to have a machine that can handle any kind of road condition you throw at it and still be an absolute blast to drive, while at the same time feeling really special, is a hard-to-beat combination. I’m addicted to the handling and power of the Turbo, and a big part of that thrill is the sound of the exhaust. However, overall the machine is a champ. Over Christmas I drove a 16 hour round-trip through the winter to see family, and it never missed a step, and I arrived completely comfortable and relaxed. Love those 18-way seats. In the summer the ability to lower and stiffen the suspension while cruising through the Rockies as well as any high-end sport sedan is a dream come true. I have always loved my 911’s, but it’s really hard to beat the all-around factor of a well-equiped Cayenne Turbo.

I’m so happy to hear that the new SE sounds so good, and I’m hoping that it will be available for me. If not, as you say, fitting something else should not be a problem, and in fact may be a better as far as cost. I spoke to my SA, and he said mine is already pretty much completed and should be here in a couple of weeks, so I won’t be able to have the SE factory fitted. However, on one of my previous 911’s I did have my dealer install a Sharkwerks exhaust while it was still brand new, and they did a great job and were only to happy to oblige. They do seem to be a performance oriented dealer.

I’ll make sure to post up some pics when mine finally arrives. It’s grey with blacked out trim and 21” wheels. I wish I would have done more with the interior other than carbon fibre touches, but the black leather interior is quite handsome nonetheless. I did outfit it with most of the performance options, such as PDCC, and rear-wheel steering, etc, so we’ll see if that is worth the cost.

Thanks for the detailed reply, and please do feel free to continue to give your impressions and post pics of your gorgeous Turbo, so guys like me can enjoy them vicariously as we wait for ours to arrive!!

Cheers!

R

Quick Reply: Turbo with Sport Exhaust video