Sponsored By:

Turbo with Sport Exhaust video

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Video with Sport Exhaust baffles closed

Finally got around to posting a short video with the baffles closed (Sport Exhaust off) during cold start-up. There's not a great deal of difference -- the exhaust still sounds very sporty, and more aggressive than the stock exhaust videos I've seen.

So, if you order SE, be prepared for a baseline level of rudeness no matter what you do. The noise is pretty much the same listening from the outside. Opening the baffles just ups the volume. There are a few occasional pops and crackles, but nothing like in our SS. The Porsche sounds classier. Which frankly I would hope it would.

Neither mode is sedate or relaxing. You know you're driving a 541-horsepower V8 pretty much all the time. If you just cruise around at part throttle, particularly on the highway, it's reasonably muted, but the grumbly undertone is still there. If you want to debadge your Turbo for Q-ship stealth, consider this option carefully. Porsche seems to have targeted it toward Dale Earnhardt lovers, or fans of John Force and his daughter. That's more than okay by us.

Oh, and newbie2p, thank you for the nice things you said. I wish you the best of luck with your new Cayenne. I hope you'll post as things move along -- I don't think I'm alone when I say I enjoy reading about other people's Porsche journeys. So far, so good for us!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
TurboSportExhaustClosed.mov (3.62 MB, 475 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh. Yeah.

That does sound mean....
Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

So after listening to the sound clip of PSE on the new gen Turbo, that sounds fantastic. Finally Porsche seems to have ramped up the exhaust sound quality for the CTT which M-B AMG had already figured out long ago for their turbo V8 SUVs. I had 957 and 958.1 gen CTTs and they sounded quite pedestrian, nothing like this new one...not even close! Nor did they even offer the option of PSE then for the CTT.

Very nice!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 PM
slave2miles
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG!!! I think I just wasted 85k on a base when this is what I need to hear every day!!!! Amazing!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slave2miles
OMG!!! I think I just wasted 85k on a base when this is what I need to hear every day!!!! Amazing!
Dunno about that. There are days when I wonder if we "wasted" $150K on a Turbo when the base model is fantastic in every way, and more than enough for a DD SUV. You made the smart choice. We made the irrational, emotional one! But thanks for the compliment.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Came across this video of turbo without PSE.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Hard to compare from the two videos. They both sound awesome.

Couldn't agree more on the sound btw. Super important.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2p
https://youtu.be/I2LqwDiG36w

Came across this video of turbo without PSE.
I’m incredibly surprised that this Turbo has a standard exhaust. In fact, I don’t really believe it. Happy to be wrong though
Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Me too! As I didn't order it.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

That sure sounds like our Sport Exhaust. Where in the YouTube listing does it indicate it’s the standard exhaust?

The reason I ask is because this is what I was used to hearing from Turbos without PSE. Skip ahead to 57 seconds. Sounds sort of tractor-like.

BUT... that’s a Euro car and sound regulations are different over there. I hope the stock exhaust sounds like your video too, even though we dropped the cash on PSE. A performance V8 should sound like a performance V8 no matter what.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hard to know in the second video. The car has Sport Exhaust tips (but perhaps not sports exhaust)?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Yah hard to tell what's what. If you wouldn't mind, when you get a chance, could you post a video of yours without the Sports Exhaust ?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:04 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Quick update: I'm still learning how our Turbo works. I don't get to drive it all that often, as it's my wife's car. But I have found that the drive mode (Normal, Sport, Sport Plus) makes a substantial difference in the aggressiveness of the exhaust note whether PSE is enabled or disabled. The videos I posted earlier were taken in Normal mode, with PSE baffles open (PSE engaged) or closed. I was showing a buddy of mine the car, and noticed that the car was meaner than usual at the back than I remembered. Lots meaner. Tons of pops, crackles and little backfires on overrun. Reason? I had the car in Sport Plus.

I'm extrapolating here, but I would guess that whether you order PSE or not, if you drop the car into Sport or Sport Plus mode, you're going to get a more aggressive exhaust note. This differs from our other car with an big V8 and active exhaust. It too has various drive modes, but moving from Normal to Sport to Track makes no difference in exhaust sound. Once the baffles open, it's the same deal. Not so with our Turbo.

One other interesting bit. You'd better have your foot firmly on the brake if you engage Sport Plus from either Normal or Sport Mode. The idle jumps up a little right away. Combined with the revised engine tuning, the car wants to lunge forward like a pissed-off dog on a chain. Caught me off guard the fist time.

The car is a bad biyatch.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

I've had a few requests for videos of PSE enabled and disabled with the car in Sport Plus mode. It's a pretty dramatic difference as shown below. One is sophomoric. The other is still fairly smooth, but aggressive. You can guess which we prefer. I think my wife and I may be the oldest living teenagers.

Sorry for all the wind noise. We had a front blowing through. My daughter volunteered to video. Really!
Attached Files
TurboPSEDisabledSportPlus.mov (3.20 MB, 219 views)
TurboPSEEnabledSportPlus.mov (3.23 MB, 246 views)
The following users liked this post:
john rock (09-12-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 PM
john rock
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never driven the Panamera Turbo without sport exhaust on, I set it in individual setting. It makes the car. I have a S 2020 Cayenne on order and put sport exhaust on it, a must have for me.

Quick Reply: Turbo with Sport Exhaust video