Sponsored By:

3500 miles and still satisfied

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 PM
framo49
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3500 miles and still satisfied

I custom ordered my Cayenne in the Winter of 2018, and I picked up my 2019 Porsche Cayenne on September 29, 2018. I now have 3500 miles on the vehicle. I had test driven the Audi Q7, the Acura MDX, and the BMW X5, and I ordered the Porsche based on the test drives by automobile reviewers and because of the Porsche reputation. Although pricey, the Cayenne had the look, performance, and features that I preferred. I did not need the power of the S or the Turbo, and I did not like the idea of carrying around 500 lbs. of battery in the Hybrid, so I ordered the base model.

I ordered the Cayenne with adaptive suspension and rear wheel steering. I also went with a 19” rims because they give a better ride, have more options for replacement, and are better for the unpaved surfaces and the massive potholes that we have where I live, but I did upgrade to the Cayenne S rims for the appearance. I also ordered adaptive cruise control, lane change assist, parking assist with surround view, and head up display. I felt that with today’s traffic conditions, I needed all of the help that I could get. I went with the premium package because it had nice features and saved over $3000 over ordering the items individually. I added roof rails and the towing package in order to give me more flexibility and to improve my resale value. I ordered the Cayenne with a Biscay Blue exterior color with the black/Mojave beige interior. I splurged on the compass on the dash and the cargo management system because they were functional, looked great, and could not be added at a later time.

I did not order the PDCC because some of the reviewers thought that it felt strange and because a friend of mine who races Porsches said that it was not necessary and that he did not have it on his race vehicles. I did not order the thermally insulated glass because I live in a moderate climate, and I want to be able to hear sirens, horns, and engine sounds. I feel that the vehicle is plenty quiet without it. The Bose audio system sounds great, and it does help with noise reduction. I did not order the four zone climate control since I don’t feel that it is necessary unless there is a third row seat.

My take is that the base Cayenne has all of the power and performance that I need. The adaptive suspension and 19” rims give the vehicle an excellent ride on the highway. I have had my vehicle rim deep in mud and in 8" of snow, and it performed beautifully. The rims are adequate in sport mode, but I would recommend larger rims for spirited driving and appearance. I spend most of my time driving legally on paved surfaces, but I do occasionally go on very rough unpaved roads, so I am fine with my choice. I would recommend the adaptive suspension and the rear wheel steering. The rear wheel steering decreases the turning radius by about two feet and makes the vehicle seem much smaller than it is. I live in the Appalachian Mountains, and I have no complaint about how the Cayenne performs and handles. It drives as if it is a much smaller and lighter vehicle. I am getting about 20 mpg around town and 27.5 mpg on the highway.

It is a large vehicle with somewhat limited visibility of where the front, back, and corners of the vehicle are, so I would recommend the park assist with surround view and the lane change assist as well. There is plenty of cargo space, and I would recommend the cargo management system as it works extremely well, and it is adaptable for any sized cargo. The cargo mat is reversible with carpet on one side and vinyl on the other.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with the 20” rims, and I would spring for the sport exhaust system. My only minor gripe is that I wish that I could hear more of the engine sound. It has a lovely growl when I hear it.

My local dealer would only sell the vehicle MSRP, so I purchased mine 75 miles away in order to receive a modest discount, but my vehicle was in the first shipment, so I had mine before most others did. I have had no problems with the vehicle as of yet, but there was a learning curve for both my dealer and for myself. My bottom line is that I feel that my Cayenne is functional, fun to drive, and beautiful. Even when I compare it to the new BMW X5, I would choose the Porsche. The BMW is a better value, and it does offer lane keep assist and self parking (both available later in the Porsche), but both the BMW and the Audi Q7 drive as if they are much larger than the Porsche Cayenne. Part of the reason for this is that they are designed to have a third row seat, which I do not need or want. I did not consider the Range Rover or the Jaguar products because of their sub par reliability. The Porsche Cayenne may not be the right vehicle for everybody, but it is nearly perfect for me.

Last edited by framo49; 12-19-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for this, and happy to hear you are still enjoying your Cayenne. I especially appreciate the perspective on the options you did and didn't order now that you've lived with things a bit.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:03 PM
mavg11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - pictures when you have a chance

I have ordered the cargo management for the net separating the trunk (sort of a dog guard) - apart from that and the mat, is there anything else in this optional?
Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM
framo49
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mavg11

I have ordered the cargo management for the net separating the trunk (sort of a dog guard) - apart from that and the mat, is there anything else in this optional?
There are two rails in the floor, and posts are then attached to the rails. One set of posts has a metal bar connecting them, and the other has a fabric barrier connecting them. They are well engineered and easy to install and remove. The net barrier is a bit harder to install, and I do not use it.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:35 PM
mavg11
Intermediate

thanks for confirming

Great looking car and nice that you are enjoying it!!! Can't wait for mine as placed my order around April and with the factory shut down am looking at delivery somewhere in April/May so a good 12-13 months....positive side of it is that I have spent a good part of a year now thinking of my perfect spec
Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Excellent, informative post. Thank you! I hope you have another 100,000 miles of trouble-free Cayenne love.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

@framo49 lovely car, congratulations!

What is unclear to me is how the reversible mat is installed in the trunk. Does the reversible mat cover the two rails?
If so, I am not sure how we can use the partition if the rails are covered. If it is not covered, I do not know how the mat stays in place.

Originally Posted by mavg11

@mavg11 this video shows the cargo management - http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...e/exterior/485.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:32 PM
framo49
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Blackfield

What is unclear to me is how the reversible mat is installed in the trunk. Does the reversible mat cover the two rails?
If so, I am not sure how we can use the partition if the rails are covered. If it is not covered, I do not know how the mat stays in place.

@mavg11 this video shows the cargo management - http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...e/exterior/485.
The mat fits between the rails and stays in place.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:34 AM
mavg11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blackfield

That is a great video, thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: 3500 miles and still satisfied