Sponsored By:

First post - just placed a build - Questions about some of the options

Old 12-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First post - just placed a build - Questions about some of the options

Hello,

This is my first post here, I have been lurking here for a couple of months -learning.

We just placed our Cayenne base order and was told that the ETA is end of April.
I am more familiar with BMW in general and this will be our first Porsche. We considered the new X5 a little bit, felt that Cayenne has better handling for not much more (given our options).

Our build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PK6ZSQE2

We have about a month to make changes to our build before it is locked.

Questions about several options:
1. ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Surround View. Does the Cayenne come with rear traffic sensor (beeping if it detects rear traffic)? What exactly are we getting here? Just overhead overview of the car?
2. PDLS+ - from what I read, US DOT is in the process of approving the technology. Do you think the dealer would re-programmed it (for a cost, free?) for full functionality in the future?
3. Cargo management - here is the description: Includes two attachment rails (integrated into the luggage compartment floor), a telescopic rod, four lashing eyelets, a strap roller, a loadspace partition net, and a reversible mat. I am interested on your opinion on this option (usefullness, how good the system is, worthwhile?). What is the reversible mat that is described here? If we choose this option, any all weather trunk mat that would be compatible with this option?
4. I wish there is an option to paint the wheel arch without requiring 21" wheel.
5. Do people usually get extended maintenance (and/or warranty from the dealer or is there an option to purchase it from 3rd party? Other options that is worthwhile (assuming the price is competitive) to get from the dealer (e.g. wheel protection, etc)?
6. Any recommendation on good all weather floor mat and website(s) that offers competitive pricing?

Sorry for the many questions, thank you in advance.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will address several of your questions.
1. Standard comes with sensors front and rear along with the backup camera. This option adds over head view. In tight parking this may be good. I did not get, my SA didn't like the option.
2. PDLS+ will be approved soon is my understanding. I am sure it will be a no cost software update once approved.
3. Cargo management. An option I wish I had gotten. I'm going to retrofit the car to add. Not a difficult job but more costly than checking the box.
4. Paintable wheel arches are available through Suncoast and your local dealer. Get them painted at a local paint shop recommended by your dealer.
5. The only add on I felt was worthwhile was the wheel protection. It cost $1840 and for 5 years it covers tires, wheels, body dings and cost keys. My wife's BMW has experienced all of those things at least once in 5 years.
6. I bought the Porsche all weather mats and highly recommend them. They look great with the Cayenne outline and fit great.
Hope this helps. And congrats on your car. I am enjoying mine.

Last edited by porscherex; 12-08-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:32 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree with everything porscherex said. I would add we asked about an extended warranty package (Porsche-branded 7-year, 100,000-mile bumper-to-bumper) but skipped due to high price. I have a quote from a Rennlist-recommended non-Porsche reseller of the Fidelity Platinum warranty for the same coverage at substantially less money. We are strongly considering buying during our first year of ownership, unless the car is a dog. This is our first Porsche too.

We included wheel / tire protection, and paintless dent repair, for five years just like porscherex. We asked the parts department to quote us the cost for a 2018 OEM 21" Cayenne wheel (he had no 2019 pricing available), and my eyes watered. For two grand it was a painful but easy choice.

We also included the ParkAssist with surround-view cameras. Our Turbo is primarily my wife's car. She has gotten accustomed to this feature in her current Infiniti. She parks in a tight garage at work. It wasn't much money, so we added it on. The Porsche version looks to be more advanced than Infiniti's with 3D touch-scrolling and higher-resolution cameras.

Our SA included Porsche OEM all-weather floor mats as part of the deal in Truffle Brown to match our interior. I thought they were pretty cool. We'll toss our regular mats in the back and save them for resale one day.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:01 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a note on the warranty comment of JCWLS3. In Florida all third party warranties must cost the same if they cover the same items and have the same terms. In other words, in Florida if the warranty price is different the warranty coverage is different. I may be incorrect, but I believe the extended warranty offered by Porsche is a third party one.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:52 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Just a note on the warranty comment of JCWLS3. In Florida all third party warranties must cost the same if they cover the same items and have the same terms. In other words, in Florida if the warranty price is different the warranty coverage is different.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Another reason for me not to live in Florida (no offense).

I may be incorrect, but I believe the extended warranty offered by Porsche is a third party one.
I believe you are right, although our SA kept using the word “Porsche warranty” when talking about it. He could not touch the Fidelity quote we received. Even after haggling and my general assiness, he was still 50 percent higher for the same “exclusionary” coverage, meaning everything was covered except those items specifically excluded in the contract. Then he confirmed the dealer sold Fidelity until recently.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you @porscherex and @JCWLS3 , ​​​​they are really helpful and much appreciated!

Does the rear parking sensor also able to detect rear traffic (people and car approaching)?

It is unfortunate the paintable wheel arches will be quite a hassle to get (paint and install) and it will probably end costing around $600. I may have to suck it up and upgrade to 21" wheels then if I can't live with the black cladding.

Wheel protection for $1840 - may not be a bad deal. Is this through a third party company? If so, do you mind sharing the name of the company (in case if my dealer offers it at higher price)?

All weather floor mats - is it this one here? https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9Y0RMATS.html. @JCWLS3 - either you have a great SA or your build is a really high $$ for the SA to throw you the all weather floor mat! I for one have very little hope that my SA would give it for free.

Extended warranty - it is similar to BMW then, I will wait for several years and decide if we want to purchase it from third party before the factory warranty ends. Similarly, I plan to skip the maintenance plan as well.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:23 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfield
Hello,

This is my first post here, I have been lurking here for a couple of months -learning.

We just placed our Cayenne base order and was told that the ETA is end of April.
I am more familiar with BMW in general and this will be our first Porsche. We considered the new X5 a little bit, felt that Cayenne has better handling for not much more (given our options).

Our build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PK6ZSQE2

We have about a month to make changes to our build before it is locked.

Questions about several options:
1. ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Surround View. Does the Cayenne come with rear traffic sensor (beeping if it detects rear traffic)? What exactly are we getting here? Just overhead overview of the car?
2. PDLS+ - from what I read, US DOT is in the process of approving the technology. Do you think the dealer would re-programmed it (for a cost, free?) for full functionality in the future?
3. Cargo management - here is the description: Includes two attachment rails (integrated into the luggage compartment floor), a telescopic rod, four lashing eyelets, a strap roller, a loadspace partition net, and a reversible mat. I am interested on your opinion on this option (usefullness, how good the system is, worthwhile?). What is the reversible mat that is described here? If we choose this option, any all weather trunk mat that would be compatible with this option?
4. I wish there is an option to paint the wheel arch without requiring 21" wheel.
5. Do people usually get extended maintenance (and/or warranty from the dealer or is there an option to purchase it from 3rd party? Other options that is worthwhile (assuming the price is competitive) to get from the dealer (e.g. wheel protection, etc)?
6. Any recommendation on good all weather floor mat and website(s) that offers competitive pricing?

Sorry for the many questions, thank you in advance.
1. Car has front and rear sensors standard. I believe all new model year cars now have to have rear view camera as standard equipment. This view is what I use to parallel park without curbing my rims.
2. More likely then not, dealer will charge to program.
3. I too wish I got this option because it isn't much money. I believe the reversible matt is plastic one side and car on another. You can use the plastic side to wipe down and load dirty equipment.
5. I would forego any extended maintenance or insurance from the dealership.
6. Try suncoast porsche. They typically are the cheapest for OEM accessories and have a comprehensive online catalogue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post - just placed a build - Questions about some of the options