Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Some related questions/buying advice (help me stop the insanity)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 02:11 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Question for you all - what is *not* standard on the Turbo that you think you'd miss?.
Biggest options to add on a Turbo are Sport Chrono ($1130 -- an utter requirement on this trim level) and the Premium Package Plus ($3690). If you want your Turbo to sound mean, add the Sport Exhaust System ($3220). The latter pisses me off, because a 540-horsepower TT V8 IMO should sound rough and blatty and poppy from the get-go. We shouldn't have to drop $3K to get it to act the part, you know?

Also, did you see that post about the (much) lower water-wading depth for the E-H? Any thoughts?.
Yes. My thoughts are that the batteries are mounted low on the e-Hybrid. Water incursion would be the death of the battery pack, and maybe even the driver, considering the amount of current involved. If you want your Cayenne to be a true off-roader, the e-Hybrid is not the choice to make.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I saw a video review on the Cayenne Hybrid that mentioned PDCC is standard on the rear axle with hybrids in order to make up for the added battery weight in the rear. So it leads me to believe that any money spent on PDCC with a Cayenne Hybrid affects the front axle, and since PDCC is priced the same as the other trims, it doesn't seem like the greatest option to add. Hybrid is in the sweet spot for me. I looked at the federal tax credits for the previous-gen Cayenne & Panamera, and the Cayenne had a tax credit of $500 more (i thought they had the same battery?). I don't know if that'll happen this time around, but if it does...an even better proposition.

You have to think about what your goal is and what your method of buying is. For me, it's about getting a great lease deal and staying under MRM, though I have to put up with a June delivery date. If you need something soon, look at a Base. If money is not an issue and you're buying, the Turbo is best over the S because of the standard equipment and the inevitable higher resale values. Then you have to factor things like accidents which can hurt you on a finance/buy but don't matter with a lease

My build iswww.porsche-code.com/PKVWYJ43.
MSRP is $94,445. I got 8% off (amazing discount), will get the ($6670 + $500? = $7170) tax credit, $1500 from SoCal Edison (few caveats to this), and I'll even factor in the PCNA $2500 d/c that they gave initial, patient Panamera Hybrid orders because of the EPA delays. I'm factoring all of that (~$19k) as discounts.

MF: 0.0028
Residual (36/10k): 58%
Total Drive-Off: ~ $3,000
Payment w/ CA Tax: $1,087
Total Lease Cost over 36 Months: $42,178
Subtracting Edison Rebate: $40,678 / 36 = $1,129 (true cost per month)

I also made sure that the MRM, Money Factor, and Residuals that are given now for the Hybrid are the same ones that will be used whenever my car arrives. Meaning that if the MF is hiked up to above 0.003XX, I'd get the current 0.0028. Conversely, if things get better and payments become more favorable when the car arrives, then we'd use those details instead. This is all listed on a document I made that we both signed.

To wrap it all up, if you don't care about money, the Turbo is best. If you want to be money smart, get the Base. If you want to be money savvy, get the Hybrid. And if you don't like Hybrids or want a mid-trim sooner rather than later, get the S. And as far as the water depth on the hybrid, I'm not sure if that figure considers the car being raised up with Air Suspension (optional, though PASM & Sport Chrono is standard), because these new cars seem to be able to raise themselves pretty high.
Wow I've leased a lot of cars over the years, almost always ordered and so usually at least a month or two between order and arrival, and I've never gotten a dealer to do that. Between that and your overall order I may ask you to negotiate my car for me!

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Biggest options to add on a Turbo are Sport Chrono ($1130 -- an utter requirement on this trim level) and the Premium Package Plus ($3690). If you want your Turbo to sound mean, add the Sport Exhaust System ($3220). The latter pisses me off, because a 540-horsepower TT V8 IMO should sound rough and blatty and poppy from the get-go. We shouldn't have to drop $3K to get it to act the part, you know?

Yes. My thoughts are that the batteries are mounted low on the e-Hybrid. Water incursion would be the death of the battery pack, and maybe even the driver, considering the amount of current involved. If you want your Cayenne to be a true off-roader, the e-Hybrid is not the choice to make.

I hear you (ha) on the sport exhaust - that one strikes me as especially annoying. That said, there are so many costly options that are standard on $30k Chevy's that at a certain point it feels like I just have to let it all go!
Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Last edited by visitador; 01-09-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:57 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

I hear you (ha) on the sport exhaust - that one strikes me as especially annoying. That said, there are so many costly options that are standard on $30k Chevy's that at a certain point it feels like I just have to let it all go!
It's funny you say that. We fell in love with our stupid 2016 Chevy SS 6MT during a one-week period where GM was offering 20 percent off MSRP on the car. That deal, and what was standard (magneorheological shocks, AKA PASM; Brembo 6-piston brakes on the front / 4 on the rear; heated and ventilated front seats; full-color HUD; Bose stereo; limited-slip rear diff; full adaptive chassis / engine / brakes via rheostat, AKA Sport Chrono; contrasting stitching on full-leather interior; Alcantara trim; active exhaust with manual baffles, AKA Sport Exhaust; and others I can't quite remember) made our eyes cross when looking at our Turbo's order sheet.

Yes, it pisses us off that Porsche does what it does re: options. But we eventually reached a vague truce with the company, understanding that market forces are at play. Porsche charges for things that it knows customers will pay for. We are living proof of that. Do we like it? No. Do we approve? Absolutely not. But as we have posted before, we will write them a damned check anyway. A Chevy is a Chevy. Porsche has created a mystique that suckers... I mean people wlll pay for. We are living proof of that.

When we finally relaxed and accepted Porsche's pricing strategy, we felt better. We know that if we stepped aside, there would be a large number of people with more money than us who would be more than happy to meet the company's demands. It's the price of doing business. Chevrolet hasn't the cachet to get away with it, and never will.

The fact of the matter is that my wife has wanted a Porsche for the last 20 years largely due to the unique brand identity it has forged over the last 50. If we wanted to play, we had to pay. And mein Gott, we are paying!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:39 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Indeed!!

Quick Reply: Some related questions/buying advice (help me stop the insanity)