Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
I put some Super Glue to the plate and to the screws, because the supporting plastic felt thin.

I added too some exterior molding double side tape to the plate touching the bumper to make sure it is better supported and so that there is no torque pulling down on the bracket..

I think it will hold pretty good. I will let you all know if I bump, or noticed, into any issues.. i.e. car wash, etc..
Ok thanks. I figured you added something.

I plan to roll with it installed exactly per the instructions, although I plan to put painters tape on the bumper and probably some adhesive foam insulation on the back side of the plate mount for the first trip, just in case.

If if the screws in the plastic loosen, I have some ideas in mind for stabilizing it. Anchors or something similar...
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 AM
JohnP_117
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE 2: I don't recommend this product. It loosens over time (even after cranking the nut) and the plate does not stay level. I'm going to try to remove it, but not sure how easily it's going to come out.

UPDATE: I was able to find a tow hook mount that clears the front sensors. Most mounts are only as wide as the screw holes on the plate, but this one is the full size of the plate, so you are able to offset it far enough to miss the parking sensor. Install was relatively easy but a bit frustrating. You really have to crank the bolt to get the mount tight enough that it doesn't rotate.

This is the one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VXV4DP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VXV4DP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honest opinions though: Do you prefer the offset mount or is it worth just screwing into the center of the bumper for a standard install?

Edit: One thing to point out is that I have some real concerns about getting this mount off if it's ever required. The way it attaches is there is a metal plug that goes into the tow hook receiver and you tighten a rod that expands the plug from behind. At this point, I'm planning on leaving it in and keeping my fingers crossed I don't need to ever take it out.

Last edited by JohnP_117; 07-30-2020 at 11:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnP_117:
cbowe (05-02-2021), David Mackintosh (09-14-2020)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 AM
meyecul
Pro

Received 370 Likes on 206 Posts

An honest opinion here... I think offset mounting of plates looks silly and way out of place. If you must have a front plate, better off just doing it the right way in the center. Mounting off to the side only makes the plate stand out more. Take for example the Land Rover Discovery rear plate...find me one person that thinks that offset plate design looks good . Not going to happen.

Front plates are required where I live but I have gone without for over 5 years now on three cars including my new Cayenne. I have never had an issue and have a sheriffs station one mile from my home thus behind and fwd facing oncoming patrol cars virtually daily. I keep the front plate in the back so if I ever do get pulled over will show the officer that I in fact have it and “simply waiting fo a mounting bracket”.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:59 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by meyecul
An honest opinion here... I think offset mounting of plates looks silly and way out of place..
I disagree. I think it looks fine. For me, the big gain is the lack of new punctures required in your shiny Cayenne to meet what I feel is an outdated regulatory requirement. If I lived in a state that had strict enforcement of its front plate laws, I'd definitely go with JohnP's solution over one that involves a drill.

We live in a front-plate-required state (Texas). But we're fortunate to be in an area where enforcement is rare, except by Texas DPS Troopers, who are fanatical about the letter of the vehicular law. But they're generally only trouble on rural highways. We've lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for the better part of five decades, three of which were spent driving. I've never had a front plate on any of my cars. Dozens of 'em. I've been hassled exactly one time by a Dallas officer who pulled me over for speeding, then did the walk-around. He asked me where my front plate was.

"Had a fender-bender a while back. Got all crumpled up. Haven't had a chance to replace it," I lied.

He didn't miss a beat as he wrote out my ticket. "Well, get it replaced and stick it on there. Don't let me see you again without it." I signed, thanked him, then drove off, doing my best to never see him again. Succeeded wildly!

John, I like your solution. Leave it. Looks sort of exotic.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:32 PM
bluesxtreme
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Sto-N-Sho from Amazon and installed it yesterday.

Some thoughts:
- Super easy to put on, you don't need to jack up car.
- I added a bit of super glue for piece of mind though i may add a buffer between where back of license plate and front bumper is (it's about 2mm space)
- It's pretty light, i would be concerned if you were going through non-touchless wash though it's easy enough to just pop off before wash.

I'll add some pictures later but overall took 15 min total.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:46 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 306 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesxtreme
I purchased the Sto-N-Sho from Amazon and installed it yesterday.

Some thoughts:
- Super easy to put on, you don't need to jack up car.
- I added a bit of super glue for piece of mind though i may add a buffer between where back of license plate and front bumper is (it's about 2mm space)
- It's pretty light, i would be concerned if you were going through non-touchless wash though it's easy enough to just pop off before wash.

I'll add some pictures later but overall took 15 min total.
I placed a 2 sided exterior molding tape that attaches the bumper to the stonsho plate, to strengthen the assembly and avoid vertical movements..

I have gone through several car washes and the stonsho assembly is solidly placed..

I put two extra pieces of 2-sided molding tape, but it is not needed. I will just leave the one that touches the bumper, which helps with any vertical stresses/torque.

I am very please with the stonsho license ate holder.. very light and sturdy.. I did not put a frame around the license plb.ate to keep it extra light..

Old 09-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA01
Ok thanks. I figured you added something.

I plan to roll with it installed exactly per the instructions, although I plan to put painters tape on the bumper and probably some adhesive foam insulation on the back side of the plate mount for the first trip, just in case.

If if the screws in the plastic loosen, I have some ideas in mind for stabilizing it. Anchors or something similar...
Does anyone know if the sto n show solution works with the sport package?
Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Just placed an order for the Sto N Sho mount and they offered 15% off to Rennlist members, the coupon is “Porscheforum2019”
The following users liked this post:
David Mackintosh (09-15-2020)
Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 AM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

When mounting the baseplate of the Sto-n-Sho, use black 3M VHB tape (a/k/a Extreme Mounting Tape) to initially determine placement. Cleaner than super-glue and redo-able without melting the plastic. The spongy-ness also helps with the vibration and prevents the screw coming loose from the plastic.

If you don't want the back of the license plate banging against your bumper, one may use window wheather stripping or HVAC refrigerant line insulation (black pool noodles) cut length-wise. Again, you can use VHB tape to secure the sponge to the back of the plate attachment.

15% off? Wow, that's nice.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:43 AM
YanaQ
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Am I missed something on this thread? I just simply have my front plate installed in the dealership as all of my previous vehicles...
Old 09-20-2019, 10:39 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YanaQ
Am I missed something on this thread? I just simply have my front plate installed in the dealership as all of my previous vehicles...
Yes, but what we were trying to avoid is the drilling holes that they have to do on the front bumper.

The dealer drives the front license holder screws through the front bumper plastic, which if the vehicle is sold and the owner is in a state that do not require front license plates, then they will not be very happy with those front bumper holes.. Small, but for some people, it is significant..
Old 12-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Frontier21
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried this front license plate bracket?

https://www.cravenspeed.com/front-li...rsche-cayenne/

I think I would rather use the tow hook as opposed to the type of bracket that attaches to the car like the Sto N Sho design that I see in this thread (although it seems like a well thought out design). Thanks for any input on any other ideas.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to mount my front plate using the factory plastic mounting hardware. What was provided doesn't seem to match the curve of the bumper on my MY19 eHybrid. Would one of you running a front plate be able to do me a big favor and snap a picture of the factory plastic mounding hardware installed (it would be tremendous if you could take a couple of angles for me and one without the plate attached). I will be grateful for the help before I drill.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
I would like to mount my front plate using the factory plastic mounting hardware. What was provided doesn't seem to match the curve of the bumper on my MY19 eHybrid. Would one of you running a front plate be able to do me a big favor and snap a picture of the factory plastic mounding hardware installed (it would be tremendous if you could take a couple of angles for me and one without the plate attached). I will be grateful for the help before I drill.
It is not installed, since I went with StoNSho, but below are the photos of the OEM porsche license plate holder for my Cayenne S 2019 model. They fit correctly to the bumper, so maybe you will need to check the part number to see if it matches..

Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's the same part I have. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Front License Plate