Sponsored By:

PCM shows a full red screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:56 AM
cha5986
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM shows a full red screen

Has anyone seen PCM displays a full red screen? Purchased 2019 Cayenne base model 2 weeks ago. Since then PCM had frozen a few times and it shows this red screen today. Turning off/on engine immidiately to restart PCM didn't fix the issue. Email the dealer and he told me to take car to the service center. Well .. it's been only 2 weeks and it's already started breaking up .. not satisfied
Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the Porsche Exclusive "Red Mist" option. I believe it monitors blood pressure and pupil dilation to determine when the mode is activated.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:58 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

This is a good example of how touch screen full digital stuff can break down pretty bad.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:13 AM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the same all-red screen this morning on my second drive of the day (also have a base MY2019 Cayenne). Turned off the car, locked it, and reopened... it was still there. Needed to go so drove it for about 10 mins or so and the screen was red and unresponsive the entire time. Then parked the car, locked, for about 30 mins... came back, opened and started it, and everything was back to normal on my drive home. Not sure what to think about it...
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-09-2020)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Screen of death. Pretty sure unit is shot.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Screen of death. Pretty sure unit is shot.
Doesn't appear to be shot dead... after 30 mins being parked/locked everything came back to normal, functions now as if it never happened. I guess we'll see if it happens again.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

I understand. These head units will often operate intermittently, but the prognosis is never good. Everything is not normal, there is a bug in there and it needs to be addressed. You are under warranty, no worries. Tell the dealer you KNOW it is the "screen of death" and you want the unit replaced.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:10 PM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

I understand. These head units will often operate intermittently, but the prognosis is never good. Everything is not normal, there is a bug in there and it needs to be addressed. You are under warranty, no worries. Tell the dealer you KNOW it is the "screen of death" and you want the unit replaced.
Thanks SilverSteel -- I'll do that. As you said, it's under warranty so not really overly concerned. Just sucks as I picked it up the car less than two weeks ago... it was a demo car so not sure if the same thing has been going on or not when in the dealer's possession . Shouldn't be happening on a nearly new car.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:31 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Let them try a reload of the software and perform a hard reset, but I have not seen where this has solved the problem. I am not aware of every unit that has been attempted to be repaired, but it really doesn't matter--your unit is messed-up.

They have a process to follow, fine. But do not rest until this does not happen anymore. It happened with my last BMW 7 series while just out of Warranty. I had the car in for other service and asked the Service Manger about it. He asked me to hang on while he took it back and tested it. He told me, "I will not put anything in the record since I could not find anything wrong, but if what you tell me is accurate, did you plan on trading or getting a new car soon?" I said, yeah, I was thinking about it. He said: "I'd do it sooner rather than later, because once it fails, it could be as much as $6000. So, I got out asap--the next month. It is rare they get the bug, but if they do, get it squared fast.

Don't worry, they'll take care of you. Just be sure you push through it...

Originally Posted by BlackerFriday
Thanks SilverSteel -- I'll do that. As you said, it's under warranty so not really overly concerned. Just sucks as I picked it up the car less than two weeks ago... it was a demo car so not sure if the same thing has been going on or not when in the dealer's possession . Shouldn't be happening on a nearly new car.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:09 PM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

Let them try a reload of the software and perform a hard reset, but I have not seen where this has solved the problem. I am not aware of every unit that has been attempted to be repaired, but it really doesn't matter--your unit is messed-up.

They have a process to follow, fine. But do not rest until this does not happen anymore. It happened with my last BMW 7 series while just out of Warranty. I had the car in for other service and asked the Service Manger about it. He asked me to hang on while he took it back and tested it. He told me, "I will not put anything in the record since I could not find anything wrong, but if what you tell me is accurate, did you plan on trading or getting a new car soon?" I said, yeah, I was thinking about it. He said: "I'd do it sooner rather than later, because once it fails, it could be as much as $6000. So, I got out asap--the next month. It is rare they get the bug, but if they do, get it squared fast.

Don't worry, they'll take care of you. Just be sure you push through it...
SilverSteel, thank you for all the info! It's really helpful.

Just one question -- right before I picked the car up, the dealer preformed the software update to the newest version (where it sits there overnight). Is the software update and reset independent of each other?
Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Another thing to try - press and hold the rotary ****. After a time, the screen should turn off completely. Press and hold it again and it should restart and come back on. Maybe that'll shake it loose.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:37 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

I don't know the answer, but they do. Hard reset wipes the unit completely, and requires a full software installation, and that takes time. Updates generally are just adding to what is already there; like layering. Ask the dealer.

Your car should NEVER have a blank or red screen, it just means the software is not properly loading. It can be defective hardware too, or software. If it's software, the wipe will generally repair it.

Please keep us all posted as there will be more searching for this information, as it will likely happen to others. We can learn from your experience.

Originally Posted by BlackerFriday
SilverSteel, thank you for all the info! It's really helpful.

Just one question -- right before I picked the car up, the dealer preformed the software update to the newest version (where it sits there overnight). Is the software update and reset independent of each other?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

This is a soft reset, and sometimes it will reset, but it just returns to the red screen or freezes. But it's certainly worth a try, anything at this point is worth a try. But it is my opinion that it's either a hard reset with new software altogether, or a new unit.

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Another thing to try - press and hold the rotary ****. After a time, the screen should turn off completely. Press and hold it again and it should restart and come back on. Maybe that'll shake it loose.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:24 AM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

This is a soft reset, and sometimes it will reset, but it just returns to the red screen or freezes. But it's certainly worth a try, anything at this point is worth a try. But it is my opinion that it's either a hard reset with new software altogether, or a new unit.
SilverSteel, pokingaround, thanks both for your replies. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens here. Me and the family are off to California next week for three weeks on vacation but will make an appointment at the dealer before we go to bring it in as soon as we return.

Happy Easter!!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:36 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Safe travels to you and yours. Happy Easter -

Quick Reply: PCM shows a full red screen