Sponsored By:

Burmester vs Bose

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye

You can’t compare a 991 cabin and a Cayenne cabin. Put it this way, if you sample a Burmester Cayenne, you won’t order Bose.
I got the Bose on my 991 turbo. The car is A bit noisy with the engine right behind you and the suspension slapping over expansion joints. I didn’t think the Burmeister makes much sense for the amount of money. The Bose system is fine For a 911. I guess if you’re a real audiophile your might want to Burmeister
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 AM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
You guys have me wondering if I cheaped out by not ordering the Burmeister. But seriously... $6K for a second-level car stereo on a $150K car? Again, it goes back to my (uneducated) opinion on Porsche options.

I know this: My wife has given me **** about not ordering the Burmeister option since day one. Based on your opinions, I may never live it down.
I justified it in other ways too since I am an audiophile. Burm was/is considered high end audiophile equipment. To put a minimum home theatre or music listening room together with Burm home audio equipment...you're in the $60-80K range. I thought the entry to get into Burm for our Porsches was a quality deal when you consider what it takes to actually own the home audio stuff....
Old 11-02-2018, 07:28 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 571 Posts

Burmeister blows Bose away in a 911.......crisper clean sound.......very rich.............I am convinced it is better system to the ear........
The following users liked this post:
ace67 (07-31-2020)
Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm a musician and an audiophile. I have three large music set-ups in my house. But a car is a car is a car; it's not a house; there's a limit with what you can do in a car, and I think with what you should try to do in a car. But that's just me. I've had Bose and I've had the base Porsche stereo system in my Porsches, and the base Porsche system is very very good (I have the base sound system in my 2018 Panamera, and I find zero problems with it, and enjoy my music immensely in it). I'll never again spend a dime to upgrade from the base Porsche audio system, and will instead spend my money on more useful things. I don't understand why people feel the need to spend so much on audio systems in their cars. I buy Porsches not for the luxury items but for the driving aspect. My money is spent on options to improve the driving performance, and I find that the pampering options (like audio, climate controls, etc.) are very good in standard form from Porsche. My two cents' worth. :-)
TLove33 (10-25-2022)
Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
For what it's worth, I'm a musician and an audiophile. I have three large music set-ups in my house. But a car is a car is a car; it's not a house; there's a limit with what you can do in a car, and I think with what you should try to do in a car. But that's just me. I've had Bose and I've had the base Porsche stereo system in my Porsches, and the base Porsche system is very very good (I have the base sound system in my 2018 Panamera, and I find zero problems with it, and enjoy my music immensely in it). I'll never again spend a dime to upgrade from the base Porsche audio system, and will instead spend my money on more useful things. I don't understand why people feel the need to spend so much on audio systems in their cars. I buy Porsches not for the luxury items but for the driving aspect. My money is spent on options to improve the driving performance, and I find that the pampering options (like audio, climate controls, etc.) are very good in standard form from Porsche. My two cents' worth. :-)
Great post, I guess we can once again sum this all up to personal taste
Old 11-04-2018, 04:54 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0

Great post, I guess we can once again sum this all up to personal taste
Amen. Although I do tend to lean toward cometguy on this subject. It’s a Porsche, not a Cadillac or Rolls-Royce. Spend your money on performance options. (That being said, do as I say, not as I do. We splurged for Club Leather; ParkAssist; Carbon trim throughout; and a few other cosmetic options. But in our defense we did include Sport Chrono, PCCB and Sport Exhaust.)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I’m not an audiophile but like good volume, strong bass, clear mids and crisp highs. I have heard the standard stereo (SP plus), Bose and Burmester back to back on the 2019 Cayenne before ordering the standard stereo. I love it and it’s free. I’ve never ordered a stock stereo before on any Porsche, but this is really, really good. IMO Burmester is a rip off, doesn’t sound a few thousand $ better than the Bose and I honestly couldn’t justify ordering the Bose, the standard Sound package plus delivers on this Cayenne, although it sounded like cr@p on the 958 Cayenne.

Last edited by Galion; 11-08-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 AM
GTLUX
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had the standard sound system, the Bose and the Burmester.
Standard sound is good, Bose is better (much better) and the Burmester is still better.
Is it so much better as to warrant the large extra cost, that depends on the person more than anything.
When you are doing engine work the last 20 BHP cost a lot more than the first but some think they're worth it.

Regarding the sound of the Burm, if you only intend to play MP3 through the thing, IMO you'll be wasting your money,
but stick a good quality CD in there and its magic. Turn it up to the top and there's no distortion, just crystal
clear thunder. The Bose can keep up in the middle but can't match it at the top end.

On the other hand I have to admit I often prefer to turn it down and listen to the V8 that's better than Bose
and Burmester put together!

Kevin
90 - 928 GT
09 - Boxter S
13 - Cayenne S D
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a BIG fan of the Burmester and ordered it on my Cayenne S without hesitation after hearing the Bose and then Burmester! Listen it all comes down do what you deem important to you personally! Most people opt for the Base Cayenne not the S and certainly not the turbo! Why because most people just want the Cayenne and aren't concerned with power and 85-90 percent of Porsche customers don't feel the upgrade to a bigger engine is worth it? I don't feel that way but all comes down to where you wanna spend your hard earned money or your lottery winnings! Whatever.....

Last edited by dspvend; 05-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM
rn2dy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dspvend
I'm a BIG fan of the Burmester and ordered it on my Cayenne S without hesitation after hearing the Bose then Burmester! Listen it all comes down do what you deem important to you personalty! Most people opt for the Base Cayenne not the S and certainly not the turbo! Why because most people just want the Cayenne and airn't concerned with power and 85-90 percent of Porsche customers don't feel the upgrade to a bigger engine is worth it? I don't feel that way but all comes down to where you wanna spend your hard earned money or your lottery winnings! Whatever.....
yea, a little bit different but still because of lack of money I chose the base with lots of options vs. S with less options. I think the cayenne options are just !@$%%^....
Old 05-17-2019, 03:53 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I have been demo'ing Tidal. O M G! It is outrageously clear. Can't wait to run it on the Burmester. Just wow. Need to figure out if I can stream it on my I-watch.

Originally Posted by Outlaw

No Bose fan here at all, but satellite has to be some of the worst compressed signals you could run thru a audio system. Save this for talk shows.

In audio, it’s all about the source of your media. Try uncompressed, lossless music and you’ll be amazed at the difference. I also use Tidal streaming with settings on “hifi”, through USB. Port and not Bluetooth.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:36 AM
Propofoln
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I have been demo'ing Tidal. O M G! It is outrageously clear. Can't wait to run it on the Burmester. Just wow. Need to figure out if I can stream it on my I-watch.
i love Tidal. I download albums in highest quality over WiFi and listen to them on my Burmester. Amazing
Tmoose (10-22-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Vishal S
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, so after lot of study and brainstorming on where to spend me & my wife decided to stick to the BOSS and now we completely regret the decision, they are very basic with tight base, low surround sound effect also to the passenger on the rear the music sounds like looming by dashboard area only.

On the other side, we choose Meridian over Boss on our Range Rover and it sounds amazing.
IMO if you are a music lover you must consider this upgrade. Maybe check with the local dealers if anyone has any configuration in stock with Burmester in it for experience sake.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vishal S
Hey, so after lot of study and brainstorming on where to spend me & my wife decided to stick to the BOSS and now we completely regret the decision, they are very basic with tight base, low surround sound effect also to the passenger on the rear the music sounds like looming by dashboard area only.

On the other side, we choose Meridian over Boss on our Range Rover and it sounds amazing.
IMO if you are a music lover you must consider this upgrade. Maybe check with the local dealers if anyone has any configuration in stock with Burmester in it for experience sake.
Agree. For the Range Rover, sister in-law has the Meridian in RR and it is very impressive. It is really personal; if someone says it does not matter, or I can't tell a difference, then you don't have the ears for it, and that's ok as it saves you a ton of money. My Macintosh amp alone cost that much, so to me, it's a deal.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Propofoln
i love Tidal. I download albums in highest quality over WiFi and listen to them on my Burmester. Amazing
How do you download? To usb, or CD? Don't see that section...

Quick Reply: Burmester vs Bose