Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

APR tune for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 03:29 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the link to the testing engineer interview. He says that all Cayenne and Panamera engines are now built to the "hybrid cold-start" specifications. He doesn't mention Audi.

​​​​​​https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...rsche-engine#1

Old 12-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmoe01
Here's the link to the testing engineer interview. He says that all Cayenne and Panamera engines are now built to the "hybrid cold-start" specifications. He doesn't mention Audi.

​​​​​​https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...rsche-engine#1
Thanks!! That is re-assuring. Back to the topic, this could mean that the engine is prime for tuning as well, .
Old 12-31-2018, 10:21 PM
ufgtrs2007
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has APR announced a tentative availability date?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

No. Still haven't cracked the MG1 ECU. Whoever cracks it will have a plethora of money due to the large amount of vehicles utilizing it.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 AM
Diego Cortes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas of when the upgrades for 2019 Cayenne Base will be available... So far fabspeed has come up with something but only for the S not the Base.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:15 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,423 Posts

As a 4 platform user of APR software I can attest that their OTS (off the shelf) software offerings are some of the best out there. The drivability is unchanged from stock and most importantly, APR is not chasing max power for any platform. Their M.O. is simply to add power, safely, while maintaining a factory-like driving experience. My S6 was rated at 450hp stock, I have upgraded Audi OEM turbos and APR stage 3 OTS software, both ECU and TCU (engine and transmission tunes). The car now has 750hp and drives exactly the same as it did the day I drove it off the lot. Truly incredible testament to their abilities. APR doesn't care about being first to market or dyno-ing at the most power, they care about quality. And it shows
The following users liked this post:
mglane83 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Oldbro
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New to the Cayenne, 2016 Macan S just totaled and wife prefers it to new Macan. Would someone please explain what this upgrade does?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:51 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

Still not out. No one has cracked Bosch MC1 ECU. JB4 is an option.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Oldbro
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400/400. hp/ torque?

crack ECU, being able to access it?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 AM
808MGuy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Just got off the phone with APR and they will have a tune for our case with the Bosch MC-1 ECU by the end of the year. Expect 400/400 or more. They have significant market pressure to get this out as the on tune will cover Cayenne, Audi s4, and Panamera base, and SQ5. This is exactly why I ordered the base car!!
I doubt it will crack 400 on either spec. They will probably push it to somewhere around 375 or 380. 400 is a big leap from 330 just from software. And knowing APR, this is gonna be a software upgrade that’s well over $1000.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oldbro
400/400. hp/ torque?

crack ECU, being able to access it?
Correct. Cracking refers to accessing, thus being able to change characteristics of the ECU parameters
Old 07-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Definitely carefully consider the likely voiding of the powertrain warranty associated with such a mod. Gotta pay to play, as they say!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:00 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Definitely carefully consider the likely voiding of the powertrain warranty associated with such a mod. Gotta pay to play, as they say!
This is the dreaded gray area. As a long time Audi owner, I can provide some context here between the two brands. Outside of the brand, everything ultimately comes down to your specific dealership/technician relationship.

Audi is the absolute worst German manufacturer in which to modify vehicles. They have the best software detection diagnostic tools in the world. Up until a few years ago, if you had a modified ECU tune, and were completely flashed back to stock prior to a dealership visit, you had a great chance of not being detected. Those days are gone for any Audi vehicle. Audi can and will refuse to fix your windshield wiper fluid system if you have aftermarket software on your car. Even though the modification you did could have absolutely no correlation to an issue, they can refuse to fix under warranty.

For Porsche, it is generally different. I have a multitude of relationships in this brand from GMs to technicians and the consensus is that Porsche is much more lax with their warranty and aftermarket. Again, your relationship with your dealership and technician is most critical in this gray area. However, GENERALLY Porsche will honor warranty work even if aftermarket items exist on a car if they are not easily correlated to each other. If you tune your Porsche and your engine starts leaking, you will most likely be **** out of luck. In the above example re the windshield wiper fluid issue, Porsche generally wouldn't bat an eye at an ECU tune in that situation.

Mech is 100% correct, though. You pay to play. And there is always risk in modifying cars when dealing with warranty. My advice as a long-time modifier, have a conversation with your dealership and/or technician. You can generally feel them out as to their flexibility and that should help factor into your decision making process
Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM
mglane83
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
. ... Audi can and will refuse to fix your windshield wiper fluid system if you have aftermarket software on your car. Even though the modification you did could have absolutely no correlation to an issue, they can refuse to fix under warranty. ...
While I have seen this happen with my own vehicles and others', the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) provides protections to consumers who have a failure that would be normally covered by warranty, and which failure was unrelated to any service, lack of service, or (specifically) modification made on the part of said consumer. Failure due to lack of oil changes are not covered, but failure due to the engine's excessive consumption of oil or inability to hold oil, are. Dishonoring a warranty claim for a coolant system failure should not be allowed due to a bolt on after market muffler. Taking your example; to dishonor warranty coverage, the manufacturer would have to state the extent to which the engine management software the consumer installed contributed to the failure of the windscreen fluid system. A highly unlikely correlation, but then again, computers can get weird. There is of course a plethora of argument on both sides of this debate, especially given that so much of our vehicles is being regulated by computer software now. It certainly does help to have a good relationship with your dealer and to establish that you do appropriately care for you vehicle in all important areas.

Last edited by mglane83; 07-22-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglane83
While I have seen this happen with my own vehicles and others', the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) provides protections to consumers who have a failure that would be normally covered by warranty, and which failure was unrelated to any service, lack of service, or (specifically) modification made on the part of said consumer. Failure due to lack of oil changes are not covered, but failure due to the engine's excessive consumption of oil or inability to hold oil, are. Dishonoring a warranty claim for a coolant system failure should not be allowed due to a bolt on after market muffler. Taking your example; to dishonor warranty coverage, the manufacturer would have to state the extent to which the engine management software the consumer installed contributed to the failure of the windscreen fluid system. A highly unlikely correlation, but then again, computers can get weird. There is of course a plethora of argument on both sides of this debate, especially given that so much of our vehicles is being regulated by computer software now. It certainly does help to have a good relationship with your dealer and to establish that you do appropriately care for you vehicle in all important areas.
While that may be the actual law, which many of us have thought to be a great defense, ask me, and dozens more Audiziners how that plays out in real life.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (02-04-2020)

Quick Reply: APR tune for Cayenne