Sponsored By:

APR tune for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:06 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts
Default APR tune for Cayenne

Just got off the phone with APR and they will have a tune for our case with the Bosch MC-1 ECU by the end of the year. Expect 400/400 or more. They have significant market pressure to get this out as the on tune will cover Cayenne, Audi s4, and Panamera base, and SQ5. This is exactly why I ordered the base car!!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 PM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear that. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry, as a Porsche newbie I have to ask. How does Porsche NA look at aftermarket tuners relative to warranty?

For me, it's one thing to fiddle around with and (worst case) blow up an American V8, and be on the hook for a relatively cheap out-of-warranty short block. It's quite another to get handed a bill for whatever crazy number Porsche would charge for a replacement Cayenne SB in any flavor. I'm guessing that at least 90 percent of the power gain will be from nothing more magical than cranking up the boost. That's cheap, fun power, but it can add some serious stress to expensive internal bits.

However, everything I have read, and pretty much all the owners with whom I've spoken, keep dropping the word "overbuilt" when talking about Porsches again and again. For example, we had an SA (I know, not necessarily the first place you look for impartial truths) who'd been with the dealership for over 10 years, and was an amateur racer himself. He told us a story he claimed he verified via official channels about Porsche engineers cutting 1,000 sequential launch-control runs in a 911 Turbo without a thing breaking or overheating. They had to do it in shifts, he said. Believable? Maybe. For more years than I can count I've been a subscriber to Road & Track and Car and Driver. I don't remember a single Porsche ever breaking down during serious track testing, while every few issues there's always a paragraph or two about [insert exotic car here] crapping out or limping home during a track session.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Sorry, as a Porsche newbie I have to ask. How does Porsche NA look at aftermarket tuners relative to warranty?

For me, it's one thing to fiddle around with and (worst case) blow up an American V8, and be on the hook for a relatively cheap out-of-warranty short block. It's quite another to get handed a bill for whatever crazy number Porsche would charge for a replacement Cayenne SB in any flavor. I'm guessing that at least 90 percent of the power gain will be from nothing more magical than cranking up the boost. That's cheap, fun power, but it can add some serious stress to expensive internal bits.

However, everything I have read, and pretty much all the owners with whom I've spoken, keep dropping the word "overbuilt" when talking about Porsches again and again. For example, we had an SA (I know, not necessarily the first place you look for impartial truths) who'd been with the dealership for over 10 years, and was an amateur racer himself. He told us a story he claimed he verified via official channels about Porsche engineers cutting 1,000 sequential launch-control runs in a 911 Turbo without a thing breaking or overheating. They had to do it in shifts, he said. Believable? Maybe. For more years than I can count I've been a subscriber to Road & Track and Car and Driver. I don't remember a single Porsche ever breaking down during serious track testing, while every few issues there's always a paragraph or two about [insert exotic car here] crapping out or limping home during a track session.
I don't think it is necessarily "Porsche" you have to worry about. It depends on what dealership you go for servicing as the dealership I go to for warranty work is very mod friendly. I guess if it's blatantly obvious that the mods caused the damage...all the blurred lines in between depends on how your SA writes it up and decides to be in your favor.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Are they going to make a tune for the S?
Old 10-13-2018, 01:14 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by scott40
Are they going to make a tune for the S?
yes bc this is rs5 motor!
Old 10-13-2018, 02:17 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I hope Turbo gets something too. Not that it needs more power but why not
Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Curious what kind of hp gains there will be for the S with this...
Old 10-17-2018, 07:10 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by scott40
Curious what kind of hp gains there will be for the S with this...
Not sure on that motor. Very curious why new Panamera GTS went to V-8 over the S twin turbo 6. My guess is its comfortably near its tuning limit.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:12 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Not sure on that motor. Very curious why new Panamera GTS went to V-8 over the S twin turbo 6. My guess is its comfortably near its tuning limit.

Does that suggest that the Cayenne GTS will do the same?
Old 10-20-2018, 09:47 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

For the obvious reason that V8s at 4 liters are superior in every way. Smoothness,exhaust, torque. Drivers don’t want to pay $150k for a V6. Check out the Acura NSX.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got off the phone with APR and they will have a tune for our case with the Bosch MC-1 ECU by the end of the year. Expect 400/400 or more. They have significant market pressure to get this out as the on tune will cover Cayenne, Audi s4, and Panamera base, and SQ5. This is exactly why I ordered the base car!!

We plan to keep the Cayenne for a long time - hopefully till 120K+ miles.
I am trying to gauge if one has some idea on how reliable the engine is going to be.

Please note that I am a newbie in the VW group world.
Reading from the previous Cayenne gen forums, I found many high mileage owners.

However, I believe those engines were built by Porsche and the base engine on the current Cayenne is built by Audi?
Anyone has any idea how long the base engine has been in production?

Oh, I would love to be able to tune the car as well, .
Old 12-31-2018, 02:42 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

According to Porsche, the base engine was designed from scratch and this is the first year it has been used. Designed by Porsche and built at the Audi Engine plant in Hungary. It was designed specifically to work in a hybrid vehicle, which means if the hybrid is running at 85 mph on electrical only, and you floor it, the idle, cold engine has to be able to start up and get to max power quickly. There are a couple of articles about how many engines they blew up getting the design right. So I would guess for a non hybrid, the base engine is probably "overbuilt".
Old 12-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmoe01
According to Porsche, the base engine was designed from scratch and this is the first year it has been used. Designed by Porsche and built at the Audi Engine plant in Hungary. It was designed specifically to work in a hybrid vehicle, which means if the hybrid is running at 85 mph on electrical only, and you floor it, the idle, cold engine has to be able to start up and get to max power quickly. There are a couple of articles about how many engines they blew up getting the design right. So I would guess for a non hybrid, the base engine is probably "overbuilt".
Panamera base has been out in production for more than one year before the current Cayenne, I don't know about Audi S4 and SQ5.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:56 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Must have been built for the Panamera first. One article did say they blew up a lot of test engines in the Panamera as they were designing the engine. Sometimes different Porsche departments seem to give out conflicting information.

Quick Reply: APR tune for Cayenne