Cayenne E-Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 03:53 AM
snowboarder7
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne E-Hybrid

Hey guys

I drove the new Cayenne V6 with the Premium plus package and WOW it drove so smooth, quiet and solid at all speed while retaining the Porsche handling, braking and acceleration.. I have to get the E-Hybrid though for my 90 miles commute 5x a week so I am disappointed in the estimated arrival of June 2019, seriously its so LAME... Its more effiicent then the V6 or V8 and our government has an antiquated and backwards EPA approval process.. Such a shame for us to wait so much longer then the Europeans. What happened to being ahead??
Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 PM
cpd1
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Not so sure it is only EPA related. Porsche has stopped production for the EU E-Hybrid model due to WLTP new testing. Effectively now done with full battery AND with empty battery so much tougher, hence the hybrids in EU struggle to stay below key 50g CO2 level. It is critical to meet government incentives there so might either see a larger battery size or a short shelf life for hybrids. BMW X5 is not due til 2020 but promises a 50 mls Electric range.
Cayenne e-Hybrid has potential but given the Panamera achieves 30 mls of electric only, that probably be mid 20s in the Cayenne.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...es-on-new-wltp
Old 11-03-2018, 07:08 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

My 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid gets 20-25 miles on average, in daily driving, in electric-only mode. The new Cayenne E-Hybrid is rated at shorter range (44 km) than the Panamera (51 km) in the overly optimistic NEDC testing -- not sure why, since it's the same 14-kWh battery pack, and I think that the weights of the two vehicles are similar; perhaps aerodynamics play into it, and we know that the ICE-only gas mileage on Cayennes tends to be poorer than in the Panamera with similar/same engines.

Yes, Porsche has stopped manufacturing all E-Hybrids for EU customers because of WLTP. I suspect that this means that they have stopped manufacturing of them, period, even for overseas customers. From the news stories about WLTP and plug-in hybrids, I understand that manufacturers need to increase battery capacity for the same financial incentives to be allowed in Europe, and this could be a plus for customers outside of Europe, if they "up" the capacity to 18 or 20 kWh (which I'm hoping they can do). The 14-kWh battery packs are not all that large (see the 7:00 point in this video:
), so I'd think they have space to increase by 50%. I'd gladly give up the space that a Bose audio system takes up in the floor of the cargo area for expanded battery pack (the base music system in these Porsches is excellent anyway -- I think that adding in higher-cost systems for music is a huge waste of money). It doesn't make sense for Porsche to keep making cars with 14-kWh battery packs for the USA market if they are going to have to increase the size for the European market, I wouldn't think.

Last edited by cometguy; 11-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by snowboarder7
Hey guys

I drove the new Cayenne V6 with the Premium plus package and WOW it drove so smooth, quiet and solid at all speed while retaining the Porsche handling, braking and acceleration.. I have to get the E-Hybrid though for my 90 miles commute 5x a week so I am disappointed in the estimated arrival of June 2019, seriously its so LAME... Its more effiicent then the V6 or V8 and our government has an antiquated and backwards EPA approval process.. Such a shame for us to wait so much longer then the Europeans. What happened to being ahead??
Did you go ahead and order a E-Hybrid Cayenne? I'm trying to get one but my SA says that ordering hasn't opened yet, which makes sense. I've sent him a 1k deposit and a build sheet, with our pre-neogitated discount at 8% with PEC Delivery LA (which would add even more time).

I find it interesting that there are 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrids for sale in Europe, though they might've stopped production right after they sent over those few. I check the CARB website periodically and nothing's been added for a while. I think it'll arrive sooner than June. Porsche Financial just extended my current lease with a new maturity date of 4/24//19, so I most likely need to ask for another extension.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:05 PM
snowboarder7
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

I havent ordered the E-Hybrid yet since i am hearing its getting delayed till next year June of 2019 which is ridiculous and too long away. We have a 2015 X5d that we extended the lease till next spring. I am waiting for BMW to confirm they will indeed sell the next generation X5 in diesel in Spring as they are still thinking about it. If not then I will get the E-Hybrid. The diesel is a no brainier with the great MPG 30-31 on highway and getting plus 600 miles on a tank with great torque.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:12 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Originally Posted by snowboarder7
Hey

I havent ordered the E-Hybrid yet since i am hearing its getting delayed till next year June of 2019 which is ridiculous and too long away. We have a 2015 X5d that we extended the lease till next spring. I am waiting for BMW to confirm they will indeed sell the next generation X5 in diesel in Spring as they are still thinking about it. If not then I will get the E-Hybrid. The diesel is a no brainier with the great MPG 30-31 on highway and getting plus 600 miles on a tank with great torque.
My SA is sending over the build sheet and the commission number tomorrow. The car could be in dealer inventory by mid-April, but the EPA and CARB testing would force deliveries over to June. In my case, with a PEC Delivery, my car would arrive to my dealer’s port (out-of-state dealer in PA), then be trucked over to PEC for delivery (takes 2-3 weeks). But if the car can’t be trucked until it’s released from port. So delivery for me is probably end of June/beginning of July.

PFS extended my current Cayenne until 4/24/19, which is not long enough. The contract says no more extensions afterwards, but I emailed them and I wrote down multiple times that it would likely take longer, and they said that they’re fine with that and that we’ll figure something out. I’m hoping Porsche will give us another $2500 off MSRP like they did for Panamera customers awaiting certification. But for now, order submitted—hard part is just waiting a really long time.

​​​​​​If you want, since I got a really good amount off MSRP (8%), I can send you the details of my SA. PM me though.

Last edited by ssiminou; 11-06-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm a little hesitant to put in an order at this stage for a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid, given that it has to be CARB-approved, and given how long it took the 2018 Panamera E-Hybrids to be CARB-approved (with many of them sitting at port for many months in the USA). I waited on ordering my Pan 4 E-Hybrid, and had it in my possession only 2.5 months after ordering. Those guys on the Pan 4 E-Hybrid thread who described waiting in great frustration, with their cars sitting in port in the US for so long, gave me pause.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:17 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

another interesting test review just posted this past week:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Thomas has driven all the new Panamera models and says that the 4 E-Hybrid is, in his opinion, better than the ICE-only models including the GTS: (40:20 mark) ... Porsche has really hit homeruns with their new E-Hybrids (Cayenne, Panamera) ...
The future is electric, and Porsche knows it...
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Man that red Panny ST is gorgeous with all that black trim.

Very cool about the E-H's. I guess that's where I'll focus my energy. A little unnerving about the delays on the Cayenne, through maybe waiting isn't the worst thing for me.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:48 AM
ssiminou
Banned

My order was just confirmed and I have a build sheet with a commission number. So my order was at V200 status when I informed my SA to remove the Smoking Package so I can have the larger, open console rather than the more confined one with the Smoking Pack. He said no problem and changed it, sending me a new Build Sheet, except this time the status got knocked down to V100-Feasilibity Check Failed. We were both surprised by this because a lot of Cayennes on the ground don't have the smoking pack (I'm not sure why I even optioned it in the first place). I told him to add the Smoking Pack again and it went back to V200 Delivery Date Determined. I told him to email the person at Corporate that's in charge of this stuff because it could just be a system error.

Anyways, wanted to put that out there and remind everyone to check and double check your build sheets. I also have a 1k deposit with him with a 8% discount for the order with PEC Delivery.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think only the E-Cigarette Smoking Package can be ordered with the E-Hybrid. That may be the glitch. 😊
Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

ssiminou, that's a weird deal there. We purposely declined the Smoking Package on our Turbo for exactly the reason you stated. We had no order issues. It's on a boat now in Jacksonville, FL, about to make its final turn toward Houston.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 PM
ssiminou
Banned

It is indeed a weird situation. My SA has emailed the right people at corporate to see if they can find out at least why it’s happening. I think it’s a system error, but worse case scenario I just keep my current build as it is. Build code without smoking package is http://www.porsche-code.com/PKVWYJ43. A rather low speccd build because I’m trying to stay under MRM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:51 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
It is indeed a weird situation. My SA has emailed the right people at corporate to see if they can find out at least why it’s happening. I think it’s a system error, but worse case scenario I just keep my current build as it is. Build code without smoking package is http://www.porsche-code.com/PKVWYJ43. A rather low speccd build because I’m trying to stay under MRM.
I see we're fans of carbon fiber steering wheels. Our SA actually tried to talk us out of it -- said it gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. Makes sense. But it looked too awesome to pass up. My wife and I generally drive with hands at either 10 and 2 or 9 and 3, so I'm hoping his concerns won't come into play too often.

I like your build. It's funny to me that anyone could say that a car with $13K in options is "low spec'd." That's a nice Kia Rio right there!

Our build is below if you're interested. We went a little crazy on some things. My original plan when we moved to the Turbo from the S was to keep it basically stock. As you can see, we really stuck to our guns.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKCINIM1

Quick Reply: Cayenne E-Hybrid