Questions from Porsche Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Questions from Porsche Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Quick intro: I’m looking hard at getting a 2019 Cayenne after being a longtime BMW driver (325i, 528i, 3-series wagon, 750i x 2). After pouring over YouTube videos and forum postings the last few months, I finally got to see the new model in person this past weekend when a near by dealer received delivery last week. A couple of comments first:
- One of the models at the dealer was the Biscay Blue color. Like a few other posters have mentioned it turned out to be darker in person than I imagined. The taillights don’t “pop” out as much.
- Being a long time sedan driver, I was hesitant on the drivability of a SUV. But on the test drive, I felt very comfortable very quickly.

Now my questions:
- I plan to configure to my specs so the SA mentioned a deposit of $5K - $10K depending upon the total outfitted cost. For those who have ordered, does this deposit range sound right?
- I was planning to get 20” tires option but I really want to avoid the plastic cladding wheel arches. One option to remove the plastic is to go up to the 21” tires but with the lower profiles, I’m worried about more road noise and increased risk of damage. (I realize the other trade off of 21” tires is not being able to put on snow chains). Any experience with the 21” tires?
- Are the adaptive air suspension or rear wheel steering options worth it? Past responses say No.

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated. (Yes, it’s hard to get used to buying options for Porsche that are standard most of the time for BMW )
Old 09-23-2018, 11:08 PM
Pvilly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could still go with the 20” and then add the SportDesign Front Fascia options. Adds a slightly different “nose” and gets painted cladding wheel arches. About a $3500 option.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:30 AM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestion, Pvilly. I thought about the sports fascia as one way to remove the plastic but the dilemma is that I personally like the looks of the standard grill. So I’m stuck whether to go with the 21” tires. Too bad one can’t go a la carte with some of these features...
Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

The deposit sounds high. My wife and I are Porsche newbies too. Our dealer required a small $1K deposit to secure our Turbo, refundable until the order locks.

I can’t help you much with the cladding / 20” wheel dilemma except to say the 21” tires are not super low-profile due to the ratio of sidewall to width. I think of 30-series 255-section tires as low profile curb- and pothole-fodder. The 21” 285/40s and 315/35s are all-season performance tires with a little meat on the sidewall. Everything I’ve read and seen indicates they’re a decent light off-road compromise. It’s the 22” tires that are useless off the pavement.

Regarding air suspension, we originally spec’d it on our S before we moved to Turbo, where it’s standard. I like the load-leveling feature, as well as variable ride height and a slightly better ride. The big minus would be cost for repairs when the warranty is up.

We skipped RWS. I think it’s a neat feature, but I didn’t want to add yet another thing that could break. We’d added enough of those.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Thanks for the advices, JCWLS3! Yes, $1K deposit sounds a bit more resonable. I can use your example to leverage this SA and shop around if required.

I wish you a speedy delivery of your Turbo!
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few thoughts:
1) The deposit seems very high - granted you are a new customer, but unless you order some special weird combination, the deposit should be much less - say $1000. Most dealerships won't even cash it
2) I would always go with the largest wheel size available - we have ordered a turbo with 22 in wheels. 1) I think every car looks better with the larger wheel sizes - and almost every advertisement/stock pictures from the manufacturer have larger wheels. I would not worry about the noise
3) Things to consider when ordering: 1) Even though you might not plan to tow anything, the towing package adds value at resale; 2) I would consider the thermal/noise reducing glass - have it on our Panamera and it makes a difference; 3) One of the "fun" parts of a Porsche, is the configuration, personalization and order process - followed by the waiting and tracking game. . .they all are like "appetizers" for the entre
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marin Vizsla
Hi Everyone,

Quick intro: I’m looking hard at getting a 2019 Cayenne after being a longtime BMW driver (325i, 528i, 3-series wagon, 750i x 2). After pouring over YouTube videos and forum postings the last few months, I finally got to see the new model in person this past weekend when a near by dealer received delivery last week. A couple of comments first:
- One of the models at the dealer was the Biscay Blue color. Like a few other posters have mentioned it turned out to be darker in person than I imagined. The taillights don’t “pop” out as much.
- Being a long time sedan driver, I was hesitant on the drivability of a SUV. But on the test drive, I felt very comfortable very quickly.

Now my questions:
- I plan to configure to my specs so the SA mentioned a deposit of $5K - $10K depending upon the total outfitted cost. For those who have ordered, does this deposit range sound right?
- I was planning to get 20” tires option but I really want to avoid the plastic cladding wheel arches. One option to remove the plastic is to go up to the 21” tires but with the lower profiles, I’m worried about more road noise and increased risk of damage. (I realize the other trade off of 21” tires is not being able to put on snow chains). Any experience with the 21” tires?
- Are the adaptive air suspension or rear wheel steering options worth it? Past responses say No.

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated. (Yes, it’s hard to get used to buying options for Porsche that are standard most of the time for BMW )
My Cayenne was just built last Friday and it's on its way. Here's what I did. I placed a $1000 refundable deposit until lock date. I hate cladding and the Gen 3 has more than the Gen 2. The sport design front fascia ($3600) paints the wheel arches and decreases the cladding all around the car. As you said that option changes the look of the front which I don't like as much. I went with the 21" wheels with the painted arches and I added PASM (not air suspension) for added comfort and better handling. PASM is standard on all Cayennes except the base and will be standard for the base after the refresh. The wheel wells are large and the 21" wheels look better. My SA advised against air suspension since it costs so much to repair.
Another thought is to get the 20" wheels and add the painted wheel arches. Suncoast sells paintable wheel arches.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by porscherex; 09-24-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Thanks to Jonathan, porscherex and everyone else who have responded! I’ll get back to the SA since the deposit amount seems out of norm. BTW, checking various dealer websites around the Bay Area, it looks like the 2019 base Cayennes have started to arrive during this past weekend. Finally!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:26 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I also think the deposit is pretty high but considering you're a new customer...and if you know you're going to take delivery I would leave it alone to show some good faith. Hopefully it starts a great relationship with the dealership moving forward.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

That deposit is ridiculous. You simply can't order a Cayenne weird enough to justify it.

Tell them to go pound on that. I custom ordered my car and put down $1k
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 AM
c4s911
Advanced

I took delivery a few days ago... got the 21 inch wheels.... amazingly good. NO noise, nice ride and handling, since the rears are 315's lots of sidewall. Glad I got them
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Pvilly
Track Day

Curious what sort of rubber you get with the 21s. Summer or All season?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pvilly
Curious what sort of rubber you get with the 21s. Summer or All season?
All season is standard. Summer tires are a no cost option on the USA configurator.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM
ThaiGuy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4s911
I took delivery a few days ago... got the 21 inch wheels.... amazingly good. NO noise, nice ride and handling, since the rears are 315's lots of sidewall. Glad I got them
Happy to hear that you have positive experience with 21. I ordered satin platinum 5-spoke turbo wheels with Carara white exterior. Delivery mid-January.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. Given the positive feedback I’m definitely going for the 21” with the Spyder rims now and avoid the plastic wheel arches.

For those lucky enough to get the first deliveries, would love to hear your first impressions. Especially the options you wish you had gotten or wish you did not, in 20/20 hindsight.

Quick Reply: Questions from Porsche Newbie