Sponsored By:

Very odd 'lurch'

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Very odd 'lurch'

When driving across a parking lot a few days ago my '17 GTS had a very odd lurching problem. It was almost as if the transmission slipped out of gear momentarily. It's never happened before, nor since. Nor have I felt anything else like it. I was traveling in a straight line, likely around 20mph max. This was probably about 100 yards after having made a right turn from a stop. Not under heavy acceleration or anything other than safe, normal driving through a parking lot. It was dry, flat tarmac in good condition (no loose materials or potholes). Just two passengers (myself and our son) and no additional cargo or gear. I was in regular driving mode, comfort ride and Low I right height.

The RPMs kicked up "some" but not to an extreme degree, nor anywhere close to a redline level. It was about a half-second, max.

I say "almost" like slipping out of gear because I've had many vehicles over the years and encountered actual situations like torque converter failures, slipping automatic transmissions (band issues or valve body problems) and transfer case problems. This was nothing like any of those. It was... odd.

I didn't see any flashing traction control lights or anything else on the gauges. I have not yet hooked up my OBD2 scanner to see if there's any codes related to the drivetrain.

Given all the transfer case comments I have to wonder. I'm not hearing any clicks, thumps or any other unexpected noises. So it's not 'the same' as what others have encountered, at least 'not yet'.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:29 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Ouch, haven't noticed that on my 2017 S ~4,500 miles ..... hope I don't .... hope you don't see it again

Last edited by mikeearly; 06-12-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: correct milage
Old 06-12-2017, 12:51 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I think there are two transfer case failure modes. One that happens at low mileage (under 30,000 miles) may be related to a defective clutch assembly. The other on higher mileage vehicles seems related to breakdown or contamination of the transfer case fluid.

Since your 2017 should be under warranty, I'd suggest dropping it off at the dealer, telling them "fix this.."

Please let us know the outcome. My wag is you'll get a new transfer case under warranty.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

I hear ya, on the low/high mileage differences. I'm at about 5700 miles since November '16 delivery.

I've not had any other repeatable problems so I've been loathe to take it to the dealer demanding a fix for what can't be demonstrated. Having spent many years working with technology services I've become very well acquainted with the value of repeatable steps to aid in troubleshooting. Thus far I've not been able to do get anywhere close to that. And there's been no diagnostic codes thrown in the ECU.

I'd welcome it happening again, if just to prove it wasn't just some one-off hiccup of some sort. Hmmmm, I'll have to go back and check my dashcam footage. I don't record with audio, so there won't be sound, but there might be something visual.

I'm entertaining adding Sport+ (with the Chrono clock) to mine, so perhaps I can get them to schedule both at the same time.

Quick Reply: Very odd 'lurch'