Nav keeps resetting to 'North Up'

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM
comanchepilot
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav keeps resetting to 'North Up'

This is frustrating -

Just bought a really nice 2012 S [black on black] and I've been tinkering with the Nav system to get it set the way I want

I go into the menu options -with the car running - and de-select North up.

Next time I drive the car - its usually fine - but then the time after- the system has re-set itself to north up.

This has happened three times now - so its no fluke.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:52 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

tied to the key???
Old 05-15-2017, 07:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

It's tied to the key memory. You should read in the manual how to store what you want in the key memory for the key you normally use.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Once you get your settings right, turn off Automatic Memory. Otherwise any adjustments will get re-saved when the key locks the vehicle. As in, valet seat adjustments, AC controls, etc.

Also know the memory buttons aren't "one touch" to retrieve the seat positions. You have to hold the button to bring it back to where you want (if using 1 or 2). I think unlocking with the key will do it though, just not the buttons on the door.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:17 AM
deilenberger
Banned

It sort of depends on the locking system..

To be safe - save all your settings in seat position #1. That's easy to set whenever you make a change you want to keep. On the KESSY "keyless" system - the settings are memorized to the key you use by locking the door with the BUTTON on the key. Using the button on the door handle doesn't memorize any settings.

Confusing? A bit - but it's a Porsche - that's why I suggested opening the owners manual.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM
comanchepilot
4th Gear

I read the owners manual - or at least the PCM manual.

There is NO - as in ZERO - reference to needing to lock the settings into the key to make them come back up - and to save them - in the PCM manual. So you need to know that the settings get saved to the key - which is in the CAR owners manual but not the PCM manual.

Yes- its a Porsche -
Old 05-16-2017, 02:30 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about 2012, but in my 2013, press MAP button on the PCM, press OPTION, select North Orientation (I believe it is a toggle to turn auto North orientation on or off ... You can also use North Arrow option to have a North Arrow visible or not visible. Also, I believe if you select Bird's Eye View, then the north orientation is disabled automatically. Reference: PCM Manual, MAP section.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Not sure about 2012, but in my 2013, press MAP button on the PCM, press OPTION, select North Orientation (I believe it is a toggle to turn auto North orientation on or off ... You can also use North Arrow option to have a North Arrow visible or not visible. Also, I believe if you select Bird's Eye View, then the north orientation is disabled automatically. Reference: PCM Manual, MAP section.

Good luck.
Same on 2011 model, so I suspect 2012 is the same.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM
comanchepilot
4th Gear

Originally Posted by stronbl

Good luck.
Thanks - yes I have done that already. Obviously that is how I changed the orientation from north up to track up.

But when I would get back in the car it would be back to North Up.

as others have noted you need to save the selection to the appropriate key.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

It's easier to simply touch the compass display on the PCM display map - it changes the orientation immediately. No need to go through all the menus. And there is lots of stuff missing from the Porsche manuals - or in odd places where you wouldn't expect it. It does save all PCM settings to the key memory - if you have your favorites and your SO has favorites - you can each call up your own by unlocking with your key.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's easier to simply touch the compass display on the PCM display map - it changes the orientation immediately. No need to go through all the menus. And there is lots of stuff missing from the Porsche manuals - or in odd places where you wouldn't expect it.
Didn't know that, I'll have to try it. I'm guessing it doesn't work in "bird's view" mode though?

When I owned my 957 CTT, I recall finding a thread in one of the Porsche forums (not sure if it was Rennlist or not) that contained a number of 'hidden' features for the Cayenne that weren't obvious or well documented. That's where I first found out about the ability to have the side mirrors fold in when locking the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Nav keeps resetting to 'North Up'