Sponsored By:

HomeLink parts and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
ynor
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HomeLink parts and wiring

Hi, we are looking for parts to retrofit HomeLink garage door opener for a 2012 Cayenne. Our workshop has access to PIWIS 2 to do control module adaptions and the electrical schematics are integrated in PIWIS.

According to PET, there are only two units associated with option VC1 (=garage door opener 433 MHz): The control unit (part number 8K0 907 410) located in the front apron, and a change of roof console to one that also includes option VC1.

However, we can not find any wiring harness in PET that is associated with HomeLink garage door option VC1. Does that mean that the control unit will be delivered with the necessary wiring when ordering or that the wiring already exists in the car? If neither, where can we get the wiring harness for the HomeLink control module?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Remind me tomorrow and I'll look in the wiring diagrams. It may well be that the wiring is only on vehicles delivered with the option - and no separate wiring harness is available. German automakers like to do that sort of thing.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:20 AM
ynor
7th Gear

Thanks, that would be extremely helpful

I have looked at the wiring diagram myself, and it is found under "Front apron". Here the Homelink Control Unit has a cable with three wires that is a part of the front apron wiring harness: Pin 1=not used, Pin 2=to LIN 2 in BCM, Pin 3=Ground and Pin 4=12 V to fuse 47. The front apron wire harness is connected to three plugs at the right side of the bumper where one of the plugs is the HomeLink part of the front apron harness.

However, when looking through PET I can not find any of the wire harnesses in the front that includes the option VC1 (with Homelink). Maybe that means that all of them includes Homelink wiring? Worst case is that there are no connectors for HomeLink and I have to route a wire from the Pin 2 HomeLink CU in front and connect it to LIN 2 at the BCM under the steering wheel.

But I can't image there would be no wiring parts available to order that includes HomeLink; what if one day the front bumper and wiring gets damaged in an accident? There must be spare parts for this.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by ynor
But I can't image there would be no wiring parts available to order that includes HomeLink; what if one day the front bumper and wiring gets damaged in an accident? There must be spare parts for this.
Since you've looked at the wiring harness - my looking at it will likely not reveal anything additional. I just looked - and all it shows is the power and ground diagrams.

There are "repair" kits available for when a harness must be repaired. Typically this is the connector with a short length of wire on it. The big trick is finding the right connector. This is a case where some time spent with a really experienced Porsche parts counter guy might be productive. It's also where a 6-pack of German beer to him if he succeeds will pay off in the long run..
Old 05-16-2017, 06:35 AM
ynor
7th Gear

Mission accomplished!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Mission accomplished!
Please elaborate so the next person looking to do this has some info to get started with..
Old 05-16-2017, 05:08 PM
ynor
7th Gear

Two parts are needed:

1) The roof console needs to be replaced with one with additional integrated Homelink buttons. Easy to find on Ebay.

2) The Homelink control module is also easy to find on Ebay. Same part number as many Audis.

It is easy to replace the roof console. The hard part is that the wiring for the control module that is located in the front apron is NOT preinstalled. The control module needs three lines: 12 V, ground and LIN BUS 2. The LIN BUS control signal is originally connected to pin 32 on one of the connectors on the BCM. This, however, is very difficult to tap into due to the location, and streching the wire from BCM to front apron would be a serious hazzle.

I solved it by placing the control module in the left fuse box, where I could get 12 V and ground easily. Then I ran a wire to the steering column electrical adjustment and soldered into the LIN BUS 2 there. This is a bit easier to access, and the LIN BUS 2 at BCM is connected to LIN BUS 2 at the steering column adjustment. The next and final step is to use PIWIS 2 Tester to code adaptions. It will not work without coding.

Total cost: Around EUR 220.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 AM
jim1949
1st Gear

Thumbs up

Two parts are needed:

1) The roof console needs to be replaced with one with additional integrated Homelink buttons. Easy to find on Ebay.

2) The Homelink control module is also easy to find on Ebay. Same part number as many Audis.

It is easy to replace the roof console. The hard part is that the wiring for the control module that is located in the front apron is NOT preinstalled. The control module needs three lines: 12 V, ground and LIN BUS 2. The LIN BUS control signal is originally connected to pin 32 on one of the connectors on the BCM. This, however, is very difficult to tap into due to the location, and streching the wire from BCM to front apron would be a serious hazzle.

I solved it by placing the control module in the left fuse box, where I could get 12 V and ground easily. Then I ran a wire to the steering column electrical adjustment and soldered into the LIN BUS 2 there. This is a bit easier to access, and the LIN BUS 2 at BCM is connected to LIN BUS 2 at the steering column adjustment. The next and final step is to use PIWIS 2 Tester to code adaptions. It will not work without coding.

Hallo Ynor,
i am from Germany and i want to do the same Option to my car. i have a Boxster 981 one and i prepared all steps and also put the module in the left fusebox.
the help that i Need, is to connect the lin bus cable beside thesteering Wheel. at which connector i have to connect the cable? left or Right? and is it to connect to one cable because i am not able to solder.
thanks fo any help.
jim1949
Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 AM
ynor
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jim1949
Hallo Ynor,
i am from Germany and i want to do the same Option to my car. i have a Boxster 981 one and i prepared all steps and also put the module in the left fusebox.
the help that i Need, is to connect the lin bus cable beside thesteering Wheel. at which connector i have to connect the cable? left or Right? and is it to connect to one cable because i am not able to solder.
thanks fo any help.
jim1949
Hi,

I do not have the answer to this as the Boxster will have a different wiring than my Cayenne. You have to get hold on a wiring diagram for your car and then connect to the LIN bus accoring to the wiring diagram. It might be a different wire and location than on my Cayenne.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Farrukh Sumair
8th Gear

Hi

Do you have pictures or wiring diagram for the installation, I have POrsche Cayenne 2017 and would like to install it.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Farrukh Sumair
8th Gear

Two parts are needed:

Hi

Do you have pictures or wiring diagram for the installation, I have POrsche Cayenne 2017 and would like to install it.

Quick Reply: HomeLink parts and wiring