Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2015 CD uses hydraulic power steering.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I have a e-hybrid so probably different but for you it sounds like *** would be even more dangerous if power steering shuts off when engine is "sailing" at highway speeds.
The engine does not shut down when "sailing"; it just goes to idle (and, I think, disconnects from the transmission), but it's still running and the power steering pump is, therefore, turning. So not an issue at highway speeds.

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
I too have a 2016 Cayenne since July. I also have a 2013 MB C Class with auto stop start. While we love the Cayenne, the *** is annoying and dangerous. Firstly, it is programmed to shut down at 4Km/hr. as per the Owner's Manual. If you are slowing gently to a stop you lose the power steering which isn't good if you are trying to slightly correct the vehicle position.
According to the manual, if you move the steering wheel, it'll restart the engine, so if you're moving the wheel to adjust your position, it should either not shut down or should restart.

As for the surging, that sounds like either operator error (hitting the gas too hard before the engine restarts, resulting in a surge) or system error, in which case Porsche needs to fix it or else they'll be on the hook for killing someone!

Originally Posted by jay958
it is annoying to have that option, does more harm to spark plugs and coils if mot just the engine, should give an option to delete that thing
I'm not an engineer, but I have read a few articles on this subject and the consensus is that it does no damage to the plugs, coils (they're all digital now anyway, so no moving parts to damage), starter motor or engine itself.

All that said, press the Sport button. With Sport mode activated, *** is deactivated.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

At 2 to 3 km/hr you cannot move the steering wheel enough to restart the engine. If I could muscle it my wife certainly cannot. This is just bad design, it should not shut down until a complete stop.

There is no driver error, the surging occurs before my foot ever gets to the gas pedal. I suspect the service manager is right, it's the AC coming on. Again, bad programming.

There is never any shut down at speeds above 4km/hr.

Of course putting it in sport will negate the Auto SS, but so will turning it off.

Love the vehicle, but expected better programming from Porsche. I have a 2013 C2S and a 1989 964, so I really appreciate their engineering, but they aren't perfect. They really should reprogram their Auto SS. But I don't expect they will.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
I too have a 2016 Cayenne since July. I also have a 2013 MB C Class with auto stop start. While we love the Cayenne, the *** is annoying and dangerous. Firstly, it is programmed to shut down at 4Km/hr. as per the Owner's Manual. If you are slowing gently to a stop you lose the power steering which isn't good if you are trying to slightly correct the vehicle position. My MB doesn't shut off until a complete stop. The worst thing is that on three occasions when I took my foot off the brake the car restarted and lunged forward. I needed to be very quick back on the brake to slow it down. If a pedestrian were in front of the car it would have been dangerous with someone not so quick back on the brake. I'm guessing it has to do with the programming where the engine restarts under certain conditions and it just happened to occur as I took my foot off the pedal. It happened to my wife also and makes her nervous. This never happens with the Mercedes system. I have instructed my wife to always shut it off as a safety measure. I will get it to the dealer but I am sure they cannot adjust it. We love the vehicle having previously owned a MB ML for 8 years, but Porsche needs to do something about their *** programming.
Please consider filing a vehicle safety complaint with the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ . Someone could be seriously injured or worse. If anyone else has similiar concerns, file a safety complaint too!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:36 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Good point, thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Silent Bob
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be a new thing, my 2014 CTTS remembers what setting you had start/stop.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent Bob
Must be a new thing, my 2014 CTTS remembers what setting you had start/stop.
See post #3.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

I can see why the A-S-S thing may be annoying.

By the time you realize that you forgot to deactivate it, your engine is likely due to restart BELOW operating temperature. And that's not good, unless you're a Porsche mechanic in dire need of customers with broken engines.

Better not be forgetful.

I can also see why too much A-S-S "sits" alongside the Kardashians on the annoyance scale for the V6. As an inherently unbalanced engine, the start ups are noticeable and reliably disturbing.

However, my 2012 CTT poses a different problem. Due to the characteristic dissonance of the V8 exhaust system (cross-plane crankshaft), it is actually annoying to have the engine on idle.

So while I sympathise with everyone who doesn't like the A-S-S function, I actually activate it for long red lights and similar situations.

I mean that I actually turn the button on and off three or four times on a typical commute.

I guess a mild OCD is a good recipe for mitigating forgetfulness.

Last edited by Rennaissance; 01-16-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I don't mind auto stop start. To me, performance encompasses not only power, but handling and efficiency as well.

There are times when I'm using the power and handling, but other times when I'm just stuck in the flow of traffic when I'm fine with the car optimizing efficiency by shutting down at lights. It's surprising how quiet things are when the engine shuts off.

Anyway, when I'm in the mood for sportier driving, it's just one push of the sport button, or I take the Carrera.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Interesting thread. It may be one of {many} reasons why I won't upgrade from my 2012 CTT, since it does indeed remember my setting (post #3). So I leave *** off & it stays off permanently. Then when I am approaching a light that I KNOW will be a long one, I pop it back on {just for that light}. This approach works for me, since it is that realization that keys me to think - press the *** Button!! & shut the motor down.

Oh, & no, I never experienced any shutdown prior to complete stop. Nor any steering issues.

So I guess these early 958's (w/ *** Memory) made it under the EPA mandate that *** stay on.

{can't help it,... just too much acronym fun}
=S
Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

From the user comfort perspective, A-S-S may or may not make sense. Depends on your preferences.

From the fuel economy perspective, the effects are negligible. The restart itself is inefficient. The engine needs to be off for at least 16 seconds just to save the fuel that the subsequent startup will consume. Time your typical traffic stop interval - I doubt it lasts 16 seconds.

Now from the longevity point of view, the effects are also negligible IMHO. The auto start is far more gentle than a normal startup. The one thing to watch out for are auto starts at below normal operating temperature.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

I've got a **** system in my MB E550 Cab. It is a complete waste of engineering effort. I try to remember to turn it off, but usually forget. If the system is active, and seat heaters are on, the car restarts at the same traffic light. One thing they did really well, incredibly smooth restart with the V8.

We just keep allowing the EPA/CARB to tighten regulations and the automakers have to make more desperate, expensive and marginal solutions.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

+1
Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennaissance
... The one thing to watch out for are auto starts at below normal operating temperature.
I have experienced what my 958 manual states: which is that it will not shut down if the engine is not yet up to "normal operating temperature".

I've also experienced where the A-S-S will not execute even when water temp is up to normal, but oil temp is not yet there.

I only tested that in the early months of ownership. Ever since then, I keep it off, and only turn on when I am approaching a light that I know is long. I'm sure most lights are not long enough,... but feel I might as well conserve some gas (at the expense of my starter).
Old 01-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I have experienced what my 958 manual states: which is that it will not shut down if the engine is not yet up to "normal operating temperature".
It is rarely hot in San Francisco but mine starts turning off 3 minutes after cold startup.

I don't know exactly how long the large V8 engine needs to warm up, but I would think that at 3 minutes past cold start the pistons are still at a wide temperature difference from the heads and the block.

The oil temperature tends to be around ~140'F when the auto stop kicks in for the first time.

My oil temperature goes to normal (208'F) after about 10 minutes of city driving. That's the oil temperature. Not sure if cylinders & pistons are warm enough by then.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I only tested that in the early months of ownership. Ever since then, I keep it off, and only turn on when I am approaching a light that I know is long. I'm sure most lights are not long enough,... but feel I might as well conserve some gas (at the expense of my starter).
If the lights are not long enough, more gas is being burnt than if the engine kept running.

An extreme example is the "California stop" which saves a lot of gas compared to a full stop. Especially with the *** engaged.

Let alone brakes or tyres...

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!