Sponsored By:

Quick Advice: 2011 Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:37 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Quick Advice: 2011 Hybrid?

I'm currently shopping for a new to us SUV for the wife. She loves her hybrids and we went out and drive a few variations this weekend:

Toyota Highlander
Lexus RX300H
Audi Q5 Hybrid/Diesel
Porsche Cayenne S/Hybrid/Diesel
Range Rover Sport
Range Rover Evoque

Out of all of them we landed on this 2011 Hybrid for $40k with 60k miles for an overnight test drive.

2011 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid

62k Miles
$40k
White on Black
2 Owner - Former Lease at Porsche San Diego

Highlights:
Panoramic Sunroof
14 way front seats
Bose System
Navigation
Reverse Camera
Side Warning
TPMS
Heated Seats F/R
Child Blinds in Rear (we need these)
Does NOT have Active Suspension

There really wasn't an option we wanted it didn't have. Also, there's only 25 of the Hybrids for sale nationally all with about the same options and price making negotiating a little difficult.

I'm not familiar with this platform and powertrain and will be doing a lot of research tonight.

Any guidance or advice is appreciated! Thank you for any help you can provide!

Last edited by vandersmith; 02-28-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:58 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Based on Autocheck and national prices - looks like this one runs middle of the road. If I can get a few thousand off, unlikely as there isn't another one for sale in the state, it might make this look a little more attractive.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Cayenne.xls (91.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no direct experience with the Hybrid, but what I've read would keep me away from it. Especially out of warranty.

In the simplest of terms, it's Porsche's first generation Hybrid power plant. Porsche does not have a great track record with their first generation motors.

The first issue is it's performance compared to it's siblings. It is considerably heavier which makes it's handling not as good as the rest (though arguably still superior to it's competitors).

The gas savings over the standard V8 S is minimal in ideal situations and non-existent if not driven like a Hybrid.

I have also read numerous reports of the Hybrid system overheating when conditions don't warrant it which resulted in lengthy stays at the dealer. After being "fixed" the issue often seemed to reoccur.

They never sold well and it seems that the dealers don't know what to do with power train problems and require help from Germany.

Everything I've read and heard about the newer eHybrid, however, is the polar opposite. It doesn't seem to be having issues, gets at or better than expected MPG, and handles better due to some weight savings and redistribution.

If the diesel fiasco weren't going on right now I'd suggest looking at one of those. There are a lot of open ended questions about that right now so it's not something to jump into without lots of research and understanding of how this all might play out.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by gnat
I have no direct experience with the Hybrid, but what I've read would keep me away from it. Especially out of warranty.

In the simplest of terms, it's Porsche's first generation Hybrid power plant. Porsche does not have a great track record with their first generation motors.

The first issue is it's performance compared to it's siblings. It is considerably heavier which makes it's handling not as good as the rest (though arguably still superior to it's competitors).

The gas savings over the standard V8 S is minimal in ideal situations and non-existent if not driven like a Hybrid.

I have also read numerous reports of the Hybrid system overheating when conditions don't warrant it which resulted in lengthy stays at the dealer. After being "fixed" the issue often seemed to reoccur.

They never sold well and it seems that the dealers don't know what to do with power train problems and require help from Germany.

Everything I've read and heard about the newer eHybrid, however, is the polar opposite. It doesn't seem to be having issues, gets at or better than expected MPG, and handles better due to some weight savings and redistribution.

If the diesel fiasco weren't going on right now I'd suggest looking at one of those. There are a lot of open ended questions about that right now so it's not something to jump into without lots of research and understanding of how this all might play out.
I can't seem to find any negative information after searching last night. Some on here have had a few issues but overall maintenance costs seem to be on par with anything else.

The powertrain is shared/borrowed across the Touareg and Audi so its not exactly unproven. Looking into both of those it does look like a few things have popped up but nothing I would call severe unless I've missed something.

If you know of or have links to anything I'd really love to see it to try and level set. The wife is asking when the deal will be done now after falling all over herself about it.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:39 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vandersmith
The powertrain is shared/borrowed across the Touareg and Audi so its not exactly unproven.
Huh, I'm seeing references to them being the same now, but I was under the impression that they were different. Specifically I didn't think the Cayenne had the super charger that the T-Reg has on it's Hybrid.

If you know of or have links to anything I'd really love to see it to try and level set. The wife is asking when the deal will be done now after falling all over herself about it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-cayennes.html (last post mentions the over heating issue)
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...-s-hybrid.html
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...d-problem.html

I know I've seen some more recent ones on 6speed too, but they aren't popping up quickly.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Huh, I'm seeing references to them being the same now, but I was under the impression that they were different. Specifically I didn't think the Cayenne had the super charger that the T-Reg has on it's Hybrid.
The crazy part is that I didn't even realize it was Supercharged until I started researching it.

333-hp - 3.0-liter Supercharged V-6
47-hp (34 kW) electric motor system

and makes 406 pounds of torque!? A hybrid that can tow 7700 lbs?

Crazy.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:45 PM
vandersmith
Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-cayennes.html (last post mentions the over heating issue)
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...d-problem.html

I know I've seen some more recent ones on 6speed too, but they aren't popping up quickly.
Thanks for this, really helps! Reading now
Old 02-29-2016, 03:03 PM
vandersmith
Pro

So there have been a few issues of overheating it looks like but not that many posted after 2010/2011. I'd be really interested if any long term owners out there could chime in. There's been a few software and tuning updates by Porsche NA that appear to solve some issues but I'd like to hear it from the source.

Any Hybrid owners out there? Bueller?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vandersmith
So there have been a few issues of overheating it looks like but not that many posted after 2010/2011.
Those aren't threads I've seen before, so I know there are some more. Just not finding them quickly/easily for you

Input from Hybrid owners would indeed be good. Unfortunately sales were never great for it and I think that those that did buy them, few fit the profile of enthusiast forum posters
Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Well, surprised it was this tough to get good information. Seems the Hybrid crowd is either silent or not experiencing many issues, heres to hoping its both for our sake.

Pulling the trigger with an expensive 5 year CPO warranty for piece of mind.

Final PPI tomorrow at a different Porsche dealer. Then hopefully its ours!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anecdotally the hybrid just isn't that well regarded (in the forums). However, it sounds like the wifey likes the cache of that word and may be completely happy with the experience. Just make sure not to go naked. I personally would get anything but a base over the hybrid. When you can pick up a used turbo for $50k why even bother with anything else? Still, if she drove it and loved it and you can get a warranty then why not. Not everyone cares about the penultimate in handling. It's still going to be a cayenne just a bit less balanced and poised than the other models at the limits.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 AM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the carfax, this one smells like it is plagued by electrical gremlins. 3 owners on a 2011 - 1st being a lease and the next two for 8 months and 1 yr. Computer module was replaced twice and all three owners had the computers checked. Vehicle serviced right after an oil change and then sold/traded shortly thereafter by the last ownder. Personally, I would not touch this one. WAAAAAAY too much risk.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:48 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recall when the Hybrid Cayenne first came out the had an issue and Porsche had to stop selling them until they figured out and fixed the problem. Here his what I could find:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-cayennes.html

Old 03-02-2016, 12:59 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Learned a lot about the history of the vehicle today. Had our local Porsche dealer perform a full PPI which required a half day with a certified tech.

The previous owner history is actually pretty simple. A few phone calls answered a lot of questions. The lease was converted to a sale in 2014 so the 1st and 2nd owner are actually the same. That same owner received an offer to buy it from Porsche San Diego and subsequently upgraded. The 3rd owner drove the car a year. Not much to tell other than a few service calls.

My Porsche service manager was able to contact the previous CA dealers and gained all of the information on the computer resets. Apparently when they input the service codes they generically are transcribed for CarFax. In this case they had to access a portion of the intake system that was below the engine harness requiring a full removal and reset of the DME. Those last steps require putting it into the service history leading to the CarFax report.

PPI passed. Its ours now!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, then, and please keep us posted of how it fares! I've not even considered a hybrid, but perhaps hearing some positive reviews will change my mind.

TXCOMT

Quick Reply: Quick Advice: 2011 Hybrid?