Sponsored By:

2011 Cayenne Rear Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:24 PM
aftergolf
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne Rear Brake Light Problem

I have a 2011 Cayenne and the entire bank of LEDs on the hatch and on the body that are not working on the drivers side. No light on the dash to indicate a light out, and not sure there is one on this model as they are LEDs versus a bulb.
Any thoughts on where to start looking for a problem?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM
er_doc8
1st Gear

Default Tail lights

I know you posted this a while ago, did you ever find the solution to this? This problem just cropped up for me.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:16 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I had this happen on my 2011 and the dealer replaced the LED light assembly.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:09 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2013 - some LED's worked on left side some did not (the hatch side). Right side was perfect. I bought a new LED light (the hatch side only) and took off all the hatch trim. It was a lot of work but not too difficult. Have to be careful about a couple clips so as not to break them. I then replaced the light with the new one. And guess what - same problem, not working. So I looked at the LED plug from the chassis and found one of the wire leads had come out from the pin. Looked like the sealant broke or was not well seated originally.

It took a bit more effort to re-seat the electrical lead onto the pin and then make sure it was solidly connected and then re-seal it. I just used a bit of glue.

When I plugged it back in it worked just as new. So now I have it all fixed but I also own a left inside rear LED taillight for a 958 Cayenne. It's for sale - the taillight that is.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Something similar happened to me today on my 2011 Cayenne V6. While someone else was driving my car, I noticed the right side brake lights did not illuminate with braking (Left side and high mounted brake lights OK). Daytime so I don't know if the regular tail lights would've been on or not.
After getting home, while car in garage, all the brake lights are now working. All tail lights working.
No dash warning lights ever came on (according to driver while incident occurred).

Does this sound like a loose connection (as alluded to above)?
Where should I look/how do I access the wire connection?

thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 PM
22porter
8th Gear

Hey anyone figure this out? I'm having the same problem - thought it was the tail light so I bought a new one just to have it go out again. Here is my deal: 2011 Cayenne base v6, hit the brakes while car is on, driver rear tail light goes out. It will still function as a turn signal - no dash warnings. Turn off car or unplug/replug rear tail light - works again until I press the brake pedal.

Is this a ground issue? If so, where are the tail lights grounded?

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
22porter
8th Gear

Ok - after doing a ton of research I think it could possibly be the rear control module, part number 958-618-279-00 - now, who knows where this baby is located? I believe rear hatch area on the passenger side but hope someone has some better knowledge or pics.

Also, anyone take apart the interior in the back hatch area? side walls? have any guidance on how to do this without breaking a ton of tabs?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I had the drivers side go out as well. Porsche replaced it a couple of years ago but I have not had another Problem with it.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:18 PM
22porter
8th Gear

Boeing 717 - they replaced the rear control module?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 22porter
Boeing 717 - they replaced the rear control module?
No sorry, just the entire rear tail light.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM
22porter
8th Gear

well you nailed it Jerry - it was the light afterall! Who would've thought I would have two bad lights in a row!!?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having the same problem with mine. Comes on when the car comes on, but as soon as I tap the brake, it pops on for a fraction of a second, then goes out completely. Throws no fault codes, and is doing on both the main lamp and inboard lamp of the driver's side. No blown fuse (obviously, for it to come on at all)

Is this a common fault with the lights on these? As far as I'm seeing, you can only replace the whole assembly?
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

It seems as though there's a fault in these 3 unlit LEDs. They were intermittently coming on depending on how I handled the assembly, then eventually stopped coming on at all. I'm guessing they died out or there's a short in them and this trips the whole light to cut off.

I'm not sure if this is just me, but this seems like a pretty poor design, and fairly irritating that a fault in 3 less-than-5-cent LEDs are going to cost me a few hundred bucks for them cutting function to the entire driver's side tail & braking light function. Almost as irritating as the fact that a car with systems this advanced didn't tell me that my tail and brake light stopped functioning, so it was out for who-knows-how-long before someone on the road told me.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

If you're at all interested - I'd be curious to take it apart and determine where the failure is. I'm good at that sort of thing. If interested - PM me, we can figure out how to get it to me. It might be possible to fix it - depending on how the assembly is held together. If so - I can do a DIY on the process.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:08 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If you're at all interested - I'd be curious to take it apart and determine where the failure is. I'm good at that sort of thing. If interested - PM me, we can figure out how to get it to me. It might be possible to fix it - depending on how the assembly is held together. If so - I can do a DIY on the process.
Funny you'd mention that, after looking at the prices of an individual lamp vs the full OEM smoked-look it, I was thinking about ordering the smoked kit and installing that, then popping these apart to fix them and trying to develop a solution for this that may help people down the road from having to purchase a full set or whole assembly. My only downfall is, I'm not the best with wiring things.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Rear Brake Light Problem