Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of a Cayenne Diesel...Build Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:18 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts
Default Thinking of a Cayenne Diesel...Build Help?

Am thinking of getting out of my 2010 BMW X5M and moving into a Cayenne diesel when my wife's lease is up for her 2013 Q5 soon. I have another vehicle so moving to just one SUV in the family is probably good and one that can tow and handle ski trips and family of four plus two rather large dogs. In any event wondering what will be different with the new Cayenne SUV's? Had a 2009 Cayenne S prior and loved driving it..was the fastest SUV I'd owned and I still remember getting thru a DC/MD/VA blizzard 3 days after purchase without difficulty...was one of the only cars on the road coming off shift from work at night in 3+ feet of snow and hauling azz effortlessly. My wife eventually took over driver-ship of that one but hated the fuel economy...thus the move to something smaller. But I love the torque and power of my X5M tho so wonder what the Cayenne diesel will feel like long term.

Recently was given a loaner Cayenne Diesel for a day and it surprised me with torque, speed, and fuel efficiency. I got dayum near 35mpg on the way back home on a 40 mile trip! But is that really real? I mean are you guys seeing this daily? If so why is it that the diesel's are still so hard to find? I mean my dealer will have to actually order us a car if we decide to proceed with a purchase. So my question is what do you think of this build?

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.porsche-2Dcode.com_PGYZ8VF7&d=AwICAg&c=b7D6gDinD8xmdIu5vsd-i-0yoYaxb5dQ3um2iAw0Zos&r=KeELoCdPOIBc5oL9BWQXxMdO_cScyO967FSzUqspjTY&m=qP z346dc0qON8Cru5cO_nLPkWqYBBaDl_s9gTaQhq-4&s=p_i7WIU1UyLZs02aVtsUTXdS-dzUfBW6kPAbhBPKFSA&e=

Has what my wife's Q5 has and all she really wants/needs. Are we missing any critical items? Also how much should one expect discount off on a new '16 Cayenne diesel? Finally any fatal flaws out there in the model that I may be unaware of? Its been about 5 yrs since I've owned a Cayenne and driven one regularly...but recall mine was otherwise pretty solid.

Thanks
md
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 AM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One BIG thing missing. PASM...
Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I routinely get in the low to mid 30s highway, and around 29 mpg combined. If you drive a lot of stop and go city traffic it will drop to the low to mid 20s. The diesel is perfect for highway cruising, but is a heck of a lot of fun on twisty country roads too.

I find lane change assist useful, along with the heated steering wheel in the winter. Ventilated seats in summer are nice too.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan063
One BIG thing missing. PASM...
Meh. I'm not sure it's required, honestly. Our CD has base suspension and it's just fine. Now, mind you living where I live I probably should have gotten PASM / Air, but we'll keep this thing close to 10 years and I didn't want the headache. Besides, it's only because of rough concrete roads and 20" wheels. When we go on a trip and hit smoother pavement, the ride is completely fine, even with the 20's. We just did a trip of 2500 miles with two 12 hour days and not once did I say "I wish I could push a suspension button". And I've had all manner of adaptive suspensions, including BMW's with the articulating anti-roll bars.

My thoughts on 2 years of ownership:

1. The upgraded full leather interior in two-tone Umber / Tartufo was sooooo worth it. It makes the car look much more luxurious to have leather on the dash, upper doors, etc. And for what it is, it's not that expensive. Would consider upgrading to this.

2. Being a big guy, did not regret the 14 ways vs. the 18 ways ever.

3. Wish I had adaptive cruise control for those long trips. Elsewhere, no.

4. Bose sucks. Been trying to tune it for two years. It sucks. Get ready for it or upgrade to Burmester.

5. Got the older adaptive xenon headlights. Can't imagine wanting LED's.

6. I do like the lane departure warning. Not obtrusive, or overly cautious. Handy with a larger rig and distracting kiddos in rear.

7. Power rear sunshades have been a kid blessing, even with tint.

8. Standard mats suck. Upgrade immediately upon delivery.

9. Porsche entry and drive is a ripoff....but very nice to have.

10. Interior lighting package is a joke...skip.

That's about it for configuration. Not too many "must haves", it's more like "wants".

I struggle to get the 30 MPG some get on longer trips, but my crusing speed is 80 plus (75MPH limits) on the longer slogs. For our 2500 mile trip, I got 28 MPG with two adults, two kids, fully loaded, through mountains, short trips while there, and some serious cruising speeds. Not bad in the least.

My wife has told me that I'll have to pry the CD from her cold dead hands. Skip that.....she wants to be buried in the damned thing. Can't say I blame her, it rocks!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Am thinking of getting out of my 2010 BMW X5M and moving into a Cayenne diesel when my wife's lease is up for her 2013 Q5 soon. I have another vehicle so moving to just one SUV in the family is probably good and one that can tow and handle ski trips and family of four plus two rather large dogs. In any event wondering what will be different with the new Cayenne SUV's? Had a 2009 Cayenne S prior and loved driving it..was the fastest SUV I'd owned and I still remember getting thru a DC/MD/VA blizzard 3 days after purchase without difficulty...was one of the only cars on the road coming off shift from work at night in 3+ feet of snow and hauling azz effortlessly. My wife eventually took over driver-ship of that one but hated the fuel economy...thus the move to something smaller. But I love the torque and power of my X5M tho so wonder what the Cayenne diesel will feel like long term.

Recently was given a loaner Cayenne Diesel for a day and it surprised me with torque, speed, and fuel efficiency. I got dayum near 35mpg on the way back home on a 40 mile trip! But is that really real? I mean are you guys seeing this daily? If so why is it that the diesel's are still so hard to find? I mean my dealer will have to actually order us a car if we decide to proceed with a purchase. So my question is what do you think of this build?

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.porsche-2Dcode.com_PGYZ8VF7&d=AwICAg&c=b7D6gDinD8xmdIu5vsd-i-0yoYaxb5dQ3um2iAw0Zos&r=KeELoCdPOIBc5oL9BWQXxMdO_cScyO967FSzUqspjTY&m=qP z346dc0qON8Cru5cO_nLPkWqYBBaDl_s9gTaQhq-4&s=p_i7WIU1UyLZs02aVtsUTXdS-dzUfBW6kPAbhBPKFSA&e=

Has what my wife's Q5 has and all she really wants/needs. Are we missing any critical items? Also how much should one expect discount off on a new '16 Cayenne diesel? Finally any fatal flaws out there in the model that I may be unaware of? Its been about 5 yrs since I've owned a Cayenne and driven one regularly...but recall mine was otherwise pretty solid.

Thanks
md
That's a very similar build to the one we got for my wife. While there's maybe a few of the toys I wanted originally, having driven it now for a year, and getting past the fact that it's a Porsche, but still an SUV, we're pretty content with that setup. We see low 30s (manually figured) when primarily highway, 20s mixed.

Seat heaters, naturally, but I really, really like the seat coolers. Even in western WA I used them a lot this summer.

Originally Posted by needsdecaf
1. The upgraded full leather interior in two-tone Umber / Tartufo was sooooo worth it. It makes the car look much more luxurious to have leather on the dash, upper doors, etc. And for what it is, it's not that expensive. Would consider upgrading to this.

Toss up here. decaf is right... but we also have a kid and 2 large dogs (one a Newfie), so the standard dash/trim material was sufficient for us.

2. Being a big guy, did not regret the 14 ways vs. the 18 ways ever.

Agree. The 14 ways are great seats. Got them in my new Boxster, too, and they're very comfortable. I haven't had a chance to sit in the 18 ways, but with what I've read about them, I think the 14 way is the way to go (I'm a big guy, too).

3. Wish I had adaptive cruise control for those long trips. Elsewhere, no.

I'm fine with regular cruise control. If I were a road warrior, maybe adaptive.

4. Bose sucks. Been trying to tune it for two years. It sucks. Get ready for it or upgrade to Burmester.

Disagree. I've got a pretty good ear, though I don't consider myself an audiophile, but the Bose is sufficient for a vehicle. It's not an audio studio and unless you're a music "snob", I think it's fine for the vast majority of people. If you're an audiophile, and want your vehicle to be an extension of your music studio, then all bets are off and pony up for the Burmester.

5. Got the older adaptive xenon headlights. Can't imagine wanting LED's.

LEDs are cool, but I don't think I'd pay the premium for them.

6. I do like the lane departure warning. Not obtrusive, or overly cautious. Handy with a larger rig and distracting kiddos in rear.

Don't have this, so can't comment. We do have LCA and I find it useful, though I still look every single time I move and always will.

7. Power rear sunshades have been a kid blessing, even with tint.

Very, very nice feature.

8. Standard mats suck. Upgrade immediately upon delivery.

Definitely.

9. Porsche entry and drive is a ripoff....but very nice to have.

Also agree. It came in the package on my Boxster, and I like it. But wouldn't order it standalone, nor order the package just to include this one.

10. Interior lighting package is a joke...skip.

Also valid.
Whatever you choose, it's a great vehicle and you'll love it! If you have the budget, it's better to get something you won't use than not get it and wish you had later on.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:10 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are going to be in snow, PASM is great because it can raise or lower the car 2" either direction. I like it for the lowering and the better ride, plus towing a racecar, it levels the truck out where the steel suspension used to squat on our old one.

The adaptive cruise is a new must have feature for me. Especially on highway trips, it is phenomenal.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:11 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

oh, the other question, I got 3500 off of my late 15 build.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@75 on cruise 35 to shore and back easy
Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the lane change assist which I like. Two tone leather I love.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you say family of 4 and 2 large dogs? I would think you want something with the 3rd row seat/space.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 CD

Agree with most comments.

For utility I wish I had the roof rails, factory install only.

The panoramic roof is a water leak waiting to happen.

Trailer hitch is cheaper to order than install later.

I bought my car off the lot and got $5k off. It came with premium package, not sure I would have ordered. Also with PCM and satellite radio I lost the HD radio capability. The navigation is incompetent in FL

MPG is mid to low 20s around town. If you keep your speed down to 60-65 on highway you can get 38, awesome for a 5400 lb vehicle.

Do not buy the pre paid maintenance plan, it covers very little beyond oil and filter changes, no tire rotation, no brake pads. The diesel requires 5000 mile oil change interval. You can get the oil changed at VW for about half price.

Stock suspension is fine for me and has less parts to go wrong.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One way to get an accurate number of MPG is to look at a site like Fuelly as it is based on actual gallons/miles for specific cars. The PCM in my Cayenne (as in most cars) seems to exaggerate a little in it's favor.

The 2013 and 2014 Diesels on there seem to be reporting between 22-27 mpg average (over 1,000s of miles) a few had reported low 30s as their best tanks. Bottom line is if you drive a lot of hwy the diesel will have the best mpg. For shorter trips the eHybrid (which is what I have) is best. I have an ave of over 36mpg over 8k miles and have seen 50mpg+ on a few tanks (over 1,000 miles on the tank).

As far as options. I agree the full leather makes the car much more luxurious feeling. I also recommend the Adaptive Cruise Control (especially if you do a lot of hwy driving). I also love my LED lights and 14 way seats.

Unlike another poster above, I am very happy with my Bose system and think it sounds great...

Lastly - on a black car (or most colors for that matter), I would go with the black window trim and roof rails. I personally feel the chrome takes away from the sporty look of the car.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 08-31-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like you bought the CD. How much did you end up getting as a discount?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by tigger1197
It looks like you bought the CD. How much did you end up getting as a discount?
Me?? none Car is tied up at port with Stop Sale due to VW's Diesel fiasco. No delivery date can/will be given from Porsche and last update was given the scale and amount of governmental agencies and approval authorities alone in US and overseas VW is dealing with....release of my car for sale could take some time and last well into 2016 maybe even past mY 2017 model production which may be placed on hold now! ;(
Old 12-05-2015, 04:19 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's sad. I thought you might have been early enough to get it before the stop sale. I am in the same boat. The car I ordered is stuck in a US port. I ended up ordering an "S" instead since who konws how long it is going to take. But now I am looking at a march delivery.

What discount did you work out with the dealer on the car you can't buy?

Quick Reply: Thinking of a Cayenne Diesel...Build Help?