Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Current All Season Tire Recs for 2011 CTT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 PM
pastorom
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Current All Season Tire Recs for 2011 CTT?

2011 CTT with 103k miles. Currently has Conti DWS06's on it in the 20" fitment (275/40R20) Pretty happy with road noise and grip etc, in the Chicago winters (so snowstorms are not real bad, and roads get cleaned *fairly* quickly). So i haven't had the need to get a dedicated winter and summer set, and all seasons work just fine.

I noticed that one of my rears only has the 'D' from the 'DWS' treadwear indicator on the second rib visible. Service and documentation history suggests the fronts were changed at 90k miles, and the rears at 84k miles. So 20k on the rears, which isn't bad (though i've read reviews that suggest people get 30k or so). No records of rotation prior to my ownership, which started at 91k miles, and i've never rotated them either (i know, i know - after a lifetime of owning vehicles with staggered wheel fitments, wheel rotation isn't something i think of naturally).

So anyways, i guess my question is - any good all season recommendations in the 20"? The costco near me only has one - and even tire rack pickings seem to be slim right now (only the Conti DWS06 in UHP All Season).

Or should i just put on the Conti's again?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Well... I had the 19" OEM Michelin Latitude N-spec all seasons on my previous CTT and they seemed fine for dry/wet/light frozen precip, with a relatively quiet highway ride with decent comfort and handling characteristics. They wore like iron. They're pricey though compared to some others.

My current Macan GTS has the 20" OEM Pirelli Scorpion N-spec all seasons but I can't comment too much about them at this point. I've only owned the vehicle 2.5 months, all warm weather, and I haven't even driven it in the rain yet. However the ride and noise level seem to be a bit better than the 19" Michelins I had on my CTT, but I'm not sure how much of that might be attributable to the different vehicle platforms? Handling/response seems top notch too for an AS tire. I really like these, but again, limited use thus far.

From what I've read previously, the Conti DWS06 all seasons you currently have is apparently about as good as it gets for a high performance all season tire, but I have no personal experience with them, so I can't compare them directly to the two above.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorom
Or should i just put on the Conti's again?
Don't the Conti's have a tread wear guarantee? If so - can you apply it toward new replacements? Might make them a bit less expensive (from memory - I believe the DWS had a 50k mile treadwear guarantee.. dunno the details but worth looking into.)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 PM
pastorom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Don't the Conti's have a tread wear guarantee? If so - can you apply it toward new replacements? Might make them a bit less expensive (from memory - I believe the DWS had a 50k mile treadwear guarantee.. dunno the details but worth looking into.)
Does this work if you're not the one that purchased the tires? (PO put this set on). I know Michelin has this, but not sure about Conti's. Good suggestion though - i'll try call them to find out.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Does this work if you're not the one that purchased the tires? (PO put this set on). I know Michelin has this, but not sure about Conti's. Good suggestion though - i'll try call them to find out.
After I posted that - I went and searched. One requirement is documentation that the tires were rotated every 8,000 miles (for a "square" setup).. so I'm guessing that it won't apply since you mentioned having no recollection or records of them ever being rotated. Good to keep in mind for the new set of tires though.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:41 PM
pastorom
Intermediate

Ah, thanks for the update. Make sense that they would have the policy. Good to know for next time though.

I am very tempted by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N Spec. Always been a huge Michelin fanboy, and have them on my BMW right now. There aren't a lot of reviews for our cayennes for this tire, but might be worth a shot.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=Turbo
Old 09-26-2018, 06:54 AM
timmysurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it matters, but looks like that tire was spec'd for the Panamera:

"The Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec is Michelin's High Performance All-Season tire developed in conjunction with Porsche for Panamera 4S, Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and Panamera Turbo models..."
Old 09-27-2018, 10:28 AM
pastorom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmysurf
Not sure if it matters, but looks like that tire was spec'd for the Panamera:

"The Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec is Michelin's High Performance All-Season tire developed in conjunction with Porsche for Panamera 4S, Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and Panamera Turbo models..."
ugh, you're right. :-(. The load index seems to suggest it should be ok, but i'll call up first and ask.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a set of DWS but not the 06 in the same 20" on a Touareg and they also did not last long but were good while they lasted, about 25K.

The whole rotation-thing and documenting it is beyond me as I'm not paying for a rotation and balance as often as Conti wants.

My wife and I are both running the same 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus' and they are every bit as good in all conditions and lasting a long while.

I'm one that also likes Michelin's but the Verde Plus' were so much cheaper and highly rated and so far they are working well.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:33 AM
pastorom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BenCD
I had a set of DWS but not the 06 in the same 20" on a Touareg and they also did not last long but were good while they lasted, about 25K.

The whole rotation-thing and documenting it is beyond me as I'm not paying for a rotation and balance as often as Conti wants.

My wife and I are both running the same 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus' and they are every bit as good in all conditions and lasting a long while.

I'm one that also likes Michelin's but the Verde Plus' were so much cheaper and highly rated and so far they are working well.
Thanks Ben - yeah, the 20" Scorpion Verde Plus are very reasonably priced, so i'm just going to get those and put them on.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 AM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Ben - yeah, the 20" Scorpion Verde Plus are very reasonably priced, so i'm just going to get those and put them on.
how did the Pirelli’s work out for you?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:32 AM
pastorom
Intermediate

Love them. I've had them thru 2 winters and 2 summers. About 35k miles on them. Very re-assuring in the snow and the wet. Grippy around corners in the summer.
I typically have music on, and the Cayenne does a good job with sound deadening anyways, so can't complain to pavement noise really.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 AM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love them. I've had them thru 2 winters and 2 summers. About 35k miles on them. Very re-assuring in the snow and the wet. Grippy around corners in the summer.
I typically have music on, and the Cayenne does a good job with sound deadening anyways, so can't complain to pavement noise really.
That’s great! Did you get alignment done with the new install? And also curious if you took it to the dealer for any of those services.

I currently have OE Pirellis on a 2014 GTS I recently purchased that need to be replaced and live in a similar climate as you. Dealer quoted me the n-spec install plus alignment ($500), which seems ridiculous. Exploring some local independent shops with the non-spec version (plus II) so I get the tread warranty, but I wonder if I will still need alignment from a dealer due to ACC or something.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:41 AM
pastorom
Intermediate

$500 is crazy. I had the tires mounted/balanced + aligned by a local well reputed tire shop. $175 for all services.
The following users liked this post:
ziptbm (10-19-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM
dlorenzo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had scorpion verde on the GTS and I was thinking of going to the DWS06. How would you compare both of them? If you had to pick today, which would you go with?

Quick Reply: Current All Season Tire Recs for 2011 CTT?