Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 04:05 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Curse of the Diesel Pig

1. 1st 30 days, transfer case failure.
2. Month 3, my son was hit for 21k of damage
3. Month 5, last night drove through a residential neighborhood on way back from date night with wife, and car stalled through a flooding street! I simply couldn’t tell that it was that deep. I speculate engine damage as after pushing car out through near waist high deep water, we restarted car and accelerator displayed signs of jumpiness (along with check engine light). Now, this morning, I start car and accelerator goes whether I am pressing accelerator or not. Claim filed, car being towed to dealer.

I lifted engine cover and smells like a swamp in engine bay. I’m hoping for best, but I feel like engine is going to be hosed.

Onward. If she gets totaled, I will need another Pig!

Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I seem to recall that 955/957 being rated for 24" depth for fording streams. The engine intake is up just under the beauty cover on the engine compartment, at least on the gas engines. The alternators are generally sealed (water cooled rather than air-cooled), and obviously HVAC pump and power-steering pumps will be sealed. Dunno what happens if you get in above 24"..

And as an old sailboat owner - I learned that all water looks the same depth from the top. It's when you run aground that you realize it isn't.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

having done some pretty serious water fording in the 955...you have to drive through a damned river to water damage these cars. no flooded street should cause that unless there was a massive sinkhole
Old 09-27-2018, 08:29 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

That’s what I thought...thx Knfeparty. Perhaps the accelerator issues are simple to just replace sensor. First check from Allstate was for 7k. Carpet and all fluids changed.

Fingers crossed....

Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m not certain the 958s are engineered for the same water fording depths as the 955/957 gen....anyone know? The 955/957 gen seemed more engineered overall for significant off-road use, although we’ve certainly seen some 958 owners here doing some pretty serious off-roading. I think as delivered from the factory though, the 955/957 gen was designed with more offroad use in mind it seems.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:06 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Anyone else have experience with food cars? I’m afraid they will replace and repair the minimum, and that leaves me with risk of future issues around electrical, mold, etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
Anyone else have experience with food cars? I’m afraid they will replace and repair the minimum, and that leaves me with risk of future issues around electrical, mold, etc.
These are cars used to serve food? Sorry - couldn't resist.

Given the context of the thread - I'm gonna hazard a guess that an "L" went missing and you meant "flood cars"..

Certainly, your concerns are valid. There are programs in place that are supposed to brand cars that were salvaged/junked due to flooding. And some of the places that check VIN# also try to determine if the vehicle was ever owned in an area where flooding might have occurred. Thing is - they can slip through the cracks. I once saw a Caddy SUV, 1-year old that a somewhat sleazy dealership was selling about $10k cheap. It is in an area where hurricane Sandy had gone through about 6 months before. I test drove it - and found the rear axle had some very peculiar behavior, sorta locking up and skipping on hard acceleration. I called GM/Cadillac customer-care and asked them if the VIN# was flagged - and it wasn't - the factory warranty was still in effect. When I poked around the car a bit, I found there was a storage compartment in the rear near where our spare tire lives - that had 3" of sea-water sloshing around in it. Apparently, the clean-up wasn't that thorough.

I'm sure someone bought that car not knowing the history - and I'm sure they have had lots of problems with it due to the flooding. Thing is - even if the warranty was still in effect - if a dealership suspects the problems are related to flooding - they're going to yank the warranty post-haste and pronto.

Your best bet to avoid this - have a PPI done by a competent Porsche mechanic, and mention that concern.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:21 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Thanks, Don. Didn’t think about using the angle of voided warranty...it’s a good one. The issue is I want it totaled but dealer wants the revenue for the fix. It’s insurance and dealer against me.

Do you think I should voice concern with pcna?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Thanks, Don. Didn’t think about using the angle of voided warranty...it’s a good one. The issue is I want it totaled but dealer wants the revenue for the fix. It’s insurance and dealer against me.

Do you think I should voice concern with pcna?
If you're still under warranty - I wouldn't get PCNA involved. That could end up with your warranty being canceled. I'd only do this if I was certain the outcome would be the car was getting totaled (what you want..)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

I made decision to inform Porsche in case they made decision to void warranty. Surprised but answer is it is still covered. And, it’s dealers decision to decide whether future repairs were caused due to flood. And...if that happens, then Allstate will continue to pay out of same claim. So...all covered.

Repairs are done, just waiting on the 30 days to receive carpet from factory...sigh....
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

I need some advice. Allstate is denying a diminished value claim (above and beyond $9600 bill). I don’t know what my value is now post flood, but I would be surprised if it isn’t at least $10k. What would you do at this point?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

What would I do? How much do you expect to net in diminished value? If it isn't enough to pay for your own expert and/or attorney then I think I'd personally forgeddaboutit. But that's just me.

You might ask Allstate if the claim is going to be reported to the various VIN# services like CarFax and Autocheck. If it is - then you have an argument for diminished value. If it isn't - there will be no diminished value. And with $21k of prior damage - which probably was reported to the VIN# services - how much more diminished value can be left? You may want to run the VIN through these services just to see if that damage was reported.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Yeah makes sense. Brother is attorney and whether or not they report on Carfax, aren’t you required by law to state whether your car has been wrecked or in flood? Whether it was required by law or not, I would disclose it anyway. In the end, I would not consider a flood car for less than $10k off market...so that is what I’m asking Allstate for. I am having dealer give official appraisal to see how accurate my gut is.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Yeah makes sense. Brother is attorney and whether or not they report on Carfax, aren’t you required by law to state whether your car has been wrecked or in flood? Whether it was required by law or not, I would disclose it anyway. In the end, I would not consider a flood car for less than $10k off market...so that is what I’m asking Allstate for. I am having dealer give official appraisal to see how accurate my gut is.
No law like that in NJ - I imagine it would be on a state by state basis since titles are issued by the states, not the Federal Government. Will be interesting to see what a dealer says..

Quick Reply: Curse of the Diesel Pig