Sponsored By:

Engine bonnet release 2012 Cayanne

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Warrendixon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bonnet release 2012 Cayanne

2012 Porsche Cayanne S. Engine bonnet popped up when I pulled the release handle. 2nd safety release won't release and engine bonnet will not latch back down. What to do from Canada. It is latched on the 2nd, but 200 miles to dealership
Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Hi - welcome to the forum. You've posted this in the 955/957 forum. You own a 958. I'm moving it over to the correct forum in the hope someone has an answer for you. Seems quite odd since the first release and safety release are separate mechanisms.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:08 AM
Warrendixon
4th Gear

This site seems really hard to navigate around. It was easy to submit an inquiry before I was a member.... nw where do you go, and how do you find it there was follow up on the question I asked.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Warrendixon
4th Gear

So a further question... 2012 Cayanne S (958). Hood release sticking, how do you access. Thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 12:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Warrendixon
This site seems really hard to navigate around. It was easy to submit an inquiry before I was a member.... nw where do you go, and how do you find it there was follow up on the question I asked.
Really? It seems fairly easy if you read the titles of the forum sections. This section covers Cayennes from 2011-2018. The section you originally posted in covered Cayennes from 2003-2010. I'll admit that it isn't easy to get to the top level Cayenne forum sometimes since it's sorta buried among all sorts of non-similar vehicles.

But - you got here. If you want to find out if there is follow up on the question you asked - you can subscribe to the thread. You can choose to have an email sent to you every time someone posts in the thread, or on a daily basis. Provided you have email and occasionally look at it - you should know when there is a follow up. I'm not certain if that function is available to a non-paid user of the forum, it might be restricted to paying members of the forum (it will say "User" if you're non-paid, "Member" if you're paid - right under your username in the far-left column.)

As far as your question - I'll address that in another reply.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

OK - now to your problem.

It sounds as if something is blocking the movement of the latch assembly.

This is my hood after I pull the hood-release inside the car. It opens about 1". The rubber ball is my parking stop - it will provide a sense of scale. The arrow is where the catch assembly (and release for the safety catch) is.

This is a photo of the latch assembly taken through the 1" gap shown in the photo above. The paddle you pull up on is directly in line with the Porsche emblem on the hood (ie - center of the hood). The arrow shows where your fingers should press up on the paddle. So - question - when you press up on the paddle - what do you feel? It should press up all the way to the inside of the hood.

The next shot is the latch assembly itself. You can see there is a hook that performs the safety (secondary) latch function. It pivots around the black pivot point and the hook moves in the direction of the arrow. The spring on the pivot point is what moves it back to the latched position. The squarish rod-like part is the primary latch - it goes into the receiver and is captured by a set of spring-loaded jaws.

Finally - a suggestion. You could try moving the hook directly by pressing against it in one of the two positions highlighted by the blue square in this photo. Press in the direction of the arrow.

I'd suggest using something sturdy like a big screwdriver (wrapped in tape or cloth so it doesn't scratch your paint.)

That should release the hook and allow you to open the hood. I do sort of wonder if something is caught in the hole (receiver) that the hook goes into, preventing it from moving as far as it should to the left.

That's it. I don't have any other suggestions. It's obviously difficult if your dealer is that far away - driving it 200 miles with the hood just on the secondary safety catch is probably not a good idea.

You might open the hood and using something like a mag-lite see if there is something caught in the mechanism that is causing your problem. That is likely since you mention the hood also won't latch shut correctly.

Let us know how it works out - and if you get it open - what was causing the problem to begin with.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Warrendixon
4th Gear

Very much appreciate appreciated. I have owned the vehicle since new November 2011. I did not know this site exsisted, and I will be joining the pay portion. 140k kilometres or about 90 thousand miles in a winter salt environment and we have had no major issues with it. I would guess the initial release is not going back and somehow blocking the 2nd release. I did get it closed and will get it to the dealership in a couple of weeks. I am sure I will figure my way around the site. Great pictures, thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Perhaps a local body shop can look at this if you don't solve it with lubrication.

Quick Reply: Engine bonnet release 2012 Cayanne