Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cost of Diesel Oil Change at Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Cost of Diesel Oil Change at Dealership?

Hi everyone. Question? What’s the cost of a 5K Diesel Oil Change? Dealership is telling me $450? Is that possible? I’m totally perplexed 🤔..... When I had my VW Touareg it was $140-$150, why so much for CD? Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:22 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

The privilege of owning a Porsche. You can have it serviced at a VW dealership (or even do it yourself), just have to find a tool to reset the computer.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

yep. I think it was between 350-400 the one time I did it. VW was 100 until they decided they should be 200 because of the Porsche badge, so now its all do it myself. Plus its quicker than driving to a dealership and back. Its the easiest vehicle I have ever changed oil on other than a 240Z
Old 08-02-2018, 03:38 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

450 is an extra .09/mile in operating expense, which is pretty significant
Old 08-02-2018, 06:32 PM
bahocale
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was that quote from Manhattan Motorcars?

Just got an alignment and a door ding out. My service advisor, Ted, cut me a break and gave me a better price. Gave him a nice bottle of wine.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:33 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
The privilege of owning a Porsche. You can have it serviced at a VW dealership (or even do it yourself), just have to find a tool to reset the computer.
Totally hear you, I’m not shocked, just puzzled that they would charge that. Oh well, no biggie.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bahocale
Was that quote from Manhattan Motorcars?

Just got an alignment and a door ding out. My service advisor, Ted, cut me a break and gave me a better price. Gave him a nice bottle of wine.
No, Ray Catena Porsche. I like the techs there and I also feel comfortable with the work they do.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

The dealer where I purchased mine wanted over $600 for the service!
I take it to a local place for $100, which includes bulk synthetic and a car wash.
I purchase adblue from Amazon and add it myself at home.

Last edited by eddieb4; 08-03-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM
vanwinkl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same reaction when my wife took her CD in for its first oil change. It's just an oil change, right?

I now buy a filter from my Porsche dealer, buy Mobil 1 wherever it is cheapest and then pay $15 to my local mechanic for the oil change. Put the AdBlue in myself. Probably $80-100 all in.

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I had read a thread within the past year that had most dealership oil changes from $300-400. Too much for me when the oil change kits are like $87.50-shipped in one day to me from iDparts.com.

https://www.idparts.com/oil-change-k...nb-p-1460.html
Old 08-03-2018, 02:35 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
That's about right!! I use two different dealers in my area, the dealer I purchased from is a bit farther away. Prices range from $350 to $490. The extra cost includes the personal service....free car rental/loaner, plush waiting area, etc. I take it to the dealer for now until the warranty runs out in 2 years, then I will do my own. The oil change isn't difficult to do, just like the brakes and adding AdBlue....which is a total top off at the dealer. My AdBlue warning came on two days ago, I added 3.5 gallons for $21, dealer charge would have been over $126.

​​​​​
Old 08-03-2018, 04:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by vanwinkl
I had the same reaction when my wife took her CD in for its first oil change. It's just an oil change, right?

I now buy a filter from my Porsche dealer, buy Mobil 1 wherever it is cheapest and then pay $15 to my local mechanic for the oil change. Put the AdBlue in myself. Probably $80-100 all in.

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S
Seth,

You should cherish your local mechanic. Take him out to dinner. Pay his bill for the Snap-On payment this month. Treat him like a God!

I don't know anyone anywhere who would do an oil change on anything (snow-blower, lawn-mower, whatever) for $15 flat labor charge. He's gotta put the car up on the lift, drop the bottom belly pan, drain and DISPOSE of the oil, clean things up, change the filter, DISPOSE of the old filter, then reverse everything.. All for $15? When you brought the parts and he made nothing on them? That is the bargain of a lifetime. Are you guys related? That could make a difference.

That takes my private mechanic about 40-45 minutes to do. I generally pay around $75 labor, more if I ask him to leave it up for a while so I can browse underneath looking for things to obsess over.

I would guess your mechanic isn't really a businessman at heart and you should make use of his bargain prices before he realizes he's paying you to change your oil. .
Old 08-03-2018, 06:04 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Seth,

You should cherish your local mechanic. Take him out to dinner. Pay his bill for the Snap-On payment this month. Treat him like a God!

I don't know anyone anywhere who would do an oil change on anything (snow-blower, lawn-mower, whatever) for $15 flat labor charge. He's gotta put the car up on the lift, drop the bottom belly pan, drain and DISPOSE of the oil, clean things up, change the filter, DISPOSE of the old filter, then reverse everything.. All for $15? When you brought the parts and he made nothing on them? That is the bargain of a lifetime. Are you guys related? That could make a difference.

That takes my private mechanic about 40-45 minutes to do. I generally pay around $75 labor, more if I ask him to leave it up for a while so I can browse underneath looking for things to obsess over.

I would guess your mechanic isn't really a businessman at heart and you should make use of his bargain prices before he realizes he's paying you to change your oil. .
Totally agree! In NJ there’s no such beast, small shops in Monmouth County would never do $15!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:52 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vanwinkl

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S
can you share your mechanic for us folks in Dfw?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:34 PM
vanwinkl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheconvert

can you share your mechanic for us folks in Dfw?
Seeing some of the responses to my mechanic quote for $15 for an oil change - I'll give the full story (and hopefully not bring on the wrath of Porsche owners for not being fanatical about where I get my car serviced!).

I use my local Firestone for regular service on my wife's Cayenne. I figure the thing is basically a VW under the hood. I buy a lot of tires from them (5 cars in the family) so they are pretty flexible with me bringing in my own parts and don't mind doing cheap and quick oil changes. When our first Cayenne Diesel needed brakes, I bought pads, discs and Porsche brake fluid from Suncoast and then had Firestone put it all in - I don't remember the exact number but am thinking all in it was $400 less than the dealer quoted.

For something specialized, I would go to the Porsche dealer (I do take my 911 to the dealer).

Anyway, now my secret is out. Wondering what responses I'll get...

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S

Quick Reply: Cost of Diesel Oil Change at Dealership?