Sponsored By:

Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Dash Rattle

I need someone's help. I have a 2016 Cayenne Turbo. A couple of weeks ago, I developed a rattle in the dash, driver's side middle or maybe toward the a-pillar. I have searched the posts, as well as the internet to see if anyone else has something similar. The rattle sound like "plastic to plastic" but the weird thing is that the rattle doesn't start until the vehicle is being driven over 65mph-70mph, never at lower speeds. I had the vents out, and the bottom trim and moved everything around. I have even put more felt and cable tied a few things together just in case, I took the cover off the front tweeter to see if that was it, I even took the front wheel off and looked under the fender lining. I have done a lot of searching and tightening, but I still hear it over the mentioned speed. I have though about taking in to the dealership, but I was worried I might end up with another rattle if they started taking the dash out and such.

Yes, I could always go under the speed, but I was curious if any of you guys have had the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

If it were mine I’d take it to the dealer. The thought of having to attempt to band-aid fix your $120k+ vehicle with felt, etc. is just absurd to me. Your dealer’s service department should be able to straighten it out.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:57 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
If it were mine I’d take it to the dealer. The thought of having to attempt to band-aid fix your $120k+ vehicle with felt, etc. is just absurd to me. Your dealer’s service department should be able to straighten it out.
I get it. My issue is replicating it for them. Plus, all they will do is put felt around the issue, or tighten a bolt. If it were something that someone had already had a problem with and I could fix quickly without the hassle of taking it, dropping it off, then having to take it back because they didn't fix it, I would be happy to do it.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 AM
991howl
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

if not already , try this
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-resolved.html
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Are you certain it's coming from inside the passenger compartment? Something speed related would seem more likely influenced by wind and/or drivetrain balance. I'd check in the engine compartment, like make sure there no debris in the cowl that might be moving around.

Does pressing on the dash or other interior door panels have any effect on the noise when it's happening?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I get it. My issue is replicating it for them. Plus, all they will do is put felt around the issue, or tighten a bolt. If it were something that someone had already had a problem with and I could fix quickly without the hassle of taking it, dropping it off, then having to take it back because they didn't fix it, I would be happy to do it.
Yep, understand.....if you can locate the source and it’s a relatively simple (tighten a screw) fix, go for it. My concern would be too much ‘digging around’ and still not coming up with anything concrete. You might get lucky and your dealer knows just what is, of course you could also get that dealer that either gives you the old ‘NPF’ or has to rummage around themselves to figure it out after three service visits. One of the reasons squeaks and rattles really suck so much.

If you can definitively narrow it down to the correct area of the vehicle it’s coming from, do you have access to a shop manual or something that shows exploded diagrams of the components? That might help guide you further. In trying to get to things to investigate, you certainly don’t want to make anything worse or create a new issue.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Does pressing on the dash or other interior door panels have any effect on the noise when it's happening?
I have tried that, but it doesn't stop it. It almost sounds like it is further inside, maybe even behind the gauge cluster. I enjoy tinkering with the car and looking for the problem. I get satisfaction from finding and fixing things. I guess that is left over from my racing days.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
do you have access to a shop manual or something that shows exploded diagrams of the components? That might help guide you further. In trying to get to things to investigate, you certainly don’t want to make anything worse or create a new issue.
I have looked at a couple of explored views of the dash pod, but it hasn't given me any insight.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

This: Mechanic Stethoscope. Have a friend drive your car while you listen in. $12 bucks at Walmart.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:28 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

On the other thread I loved the note "please see Burke before you NPF it".

I have never seen a Cayenne's HVAC system disassembled but I recall in other vehicles that debris or broken parts loose in there could sometimes result in hard to find noises. One short-cut in diagnosing if it's AC-related would be to remove the fuses for them. They can't rattle if they're not powered.

That and there was a note about a temp sensor in the vent coming loose and making noise. Not sure if it was a Cayenne or a Panamera.

The inspection stethoscope would help to listen down into/under various dash points.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Great thanks,
Old 07-24-2018, 12:31 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,770 Posts

I too have a slight rattle coming from he middle of the dash. Been to the dealer only to have them say, it's a Porsche they tend to develop squeaks and rattles over time. They did not take the time to fix it. Maybe because it was on CPO. I walked next door, to the Audi dealer, and purchased some of the felt the Audi sells to quell rattles in their marque. Going to pull off my middle dash and apply when it gets too bothering, usually in the winter when the plastic is cold.

Good luck with your search and please chime in if and when you find the issue.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a reminder that sometimes squeaks and rattles may not actually be coming from where they sound like they are.

Case in point was an annoying squeak/rattle I had on the dash of our Highlander. I could actually press on the top center of the dash and make it stop completely so I knew it was coming from the center vent area behind the radio. After much testing and rework of the center vent area the noise was still present. Turns out it was actually the dash rubbing against the glass just enough to cause the noise. A bit of felt stuffed between the dash and the window killed it completely.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
This: Mechanic Stethoscope. Have a friend drive your car while you listen in. $12 bucks at Walmart.
$3 at Harbor Freight, and I guarantee they are identical.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
$3 at Harbor Freight, and I guarantee they are identical.
Don't forget to use a 20% off coupon and also get one of the "free with any purchase" gifts for an even better deal.

http://www.hfqpdb.com/browse

Quick Reply: Dash Rattle