Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I let the clearcoat/paint go, please forgive me . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I let the clearcoat/paint go, please forgive me . . .

This past winter was sort of tough, as they all are. I did not wash the truck once this past winter. I did get a pressure washer, that does an awesome job of getting the white pretty good looking and certainly better than not washing it at all, but I had noticed and had been noticing all these orange spots in the clearcoat. Like it is some sort of metal that gets into the clearcoat and rusts.

I finally took a microfiber mitt and soap/water and washed, then claybarred all the spots and the entire truck and got rid of most of the spots on the drivers side, now I just need to do the rear, the front, then the passengers side then with my Flex 3403 I'll polish out the clearcoat and then put on some Ultima Paint Guard Plus and call it back in the fall before winter for another layer of UPGP+ as while I would love to spend every free moment keeping the CD clean, the reality is, with two kids, and knowing that the first rain that the truck is just dirty again, I have come to grips with not needing to have the truck spotless all the time. I'll bet I won't wash it again until the fall or when I know that a stretch of drought is coming, otherwise, I have other things that I'd need to do and the wife's (black) Touareg, that is equally, if not more neglected than my CD.

Anyone else just let it slide like me?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:20 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have to admit that there is no way that I can do that. I even bought a old beater truck that was left outside and my wife used to kid me that I still washed that every week and even waxed it once a year. I am retired so I certainly have the time to be so **** and I totally understand why you (or someone else) may let it slide .... I just admit that I am flawed and just can't do it....... more power to you .....
Old 05-01-2018, 04:18 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I must admit, I can't let my vehicles go dirty! My 2011 CS gets washed at least once a week. My DD, 2005 Mini Cooper S, gets washed about once every two weeks. You might laugh at this. I own a 2320 John Deere tractor and I wash it every time after I do yard work. Love the JD almost as much as my CS! lol

Old 05-01-2018, 04:32 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

That is awesome. Even the tractor gets washed more than my CD.

White does look cleaner for longer and is like 2nd after silver/gray for staying clean-looking.

I wish I had the time to dote on all my stuff. Perhaps in retirement but my youngest girl is only 6 so I have at least 12 more years, if not more what with college and all that.

I am going to clay bar the rest of the car and then polish it out but not go too crazy. Then seal it and be done till next fall. Bug season is coming too.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have that much time on my hands, but I abhor having a dirty vehicle, inside and out.

Have fun with the clay bar. Tired hands and a aching back. I don't envy you! lol
Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Aches and pain way beyond AARP years. I do bring CD to "green" waterless place that does a wonderful job. So good that I only need to do it every other month
Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I use the Gyeon Iron remover to remove the iron particles from the clearcoat. Just spray on, wait 5 min and wash off with a pressure washer. It is just brilliant - very easy to use and extremely effective.

It safe to use on the car paint - worth doing once in 6-8 weeks (more often on wheels - it makes cleaning them a breeze).

I believe there is nothing better on the market right now.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

My wife gets suspicious when I start letting a vehicle's appearance go. She knows that I'm jonesing for a new car.. (after about 50 vehicles I think she's on to me..)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,638 Posts

^^^Hahahhaaaaaa
Old 05-02-2018, 06:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

The orange spots could also be "rail dust" - literally small metal particles kicked up by the train rails as the CD's were transported from the ports to the various cities, etc. From getting exposed to water and salt, the particles eventually rust... and that's what you see.

Most cars seem to have it - it just shows on white. My old GMC Sierra had it pretty bad, and my wife's VW GTI had it *REALLY* bad - both cars were white.

I used this stuff: https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron...hannelid=BIZRA

Smells bad... but works really well.

And I have a tough time letting my cars get dirty... even the cars I hate.

I've even been known to wash rental and loaner cars before.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

OMGosh, I cracked a smile when I had read "I've been known to wash rental and loaner cars before." Now that is hardcore but, I can understand totally. I only wish I had the time to keep everything mint, right down to the rubber floormats that are as dirty as can be but I know that mostly likely we'll be going back up to the farm, the mats will just be dirty again so it is tough and I've had to let stuff pass that I would not have in the past.

I've read about rail dust or metals from transport but had never really seen them, then again, I had not had a white vehicle, at least one that I cared about since 1988-some 30 years ago and that was just a VW Fox. I kept on going over the rust with the claybar and eventually all the spots I had worked on came off/out.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:53 AM
Elberoth
Racer

The iron particles are so small, that you cant see them with a naked eye. Use one of those iron removers and you will see that your car paint will turn bloody from the chemical reaction with iron instantly.

Those iron removers are claybar replacements of sorts - they artually work better @ iron particales removal AND spraying your whole car and then rinsing it takes 5 min vs 1+h needed to clean the whole car with clay. They are really rather incredible - try them if you haven't before. They will make your life so much easier.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Where do you by the Yeon and?

Originally Posted by Elberoth
I use the Gyeon Iron remover to remove the iron particles from the clearcoat. Just spray on, wait 5 min and wash off with a pressure washer. It is just brilliant - very easy to use and extremely effective.

It safe to use on the car paint - worth doing once in 6-8 weeks (more often on wheels - it makes cleaning them a breeze).

I believe there is nothing better on the market right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvbfPyASTH0
Where do you purchase this product, and it seems like each time you use it, it would seem like you have to re-wax the vehicle. Does it basically take the place of claybar?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Elberoth
Racer

I have purchased it in Poland, but I'm sure you can get it in the US as well. Check the vid I've posted.

The clay can also remove stuff like tar, which iron remover does not dissolve. So it is not a 100% substitute. But you can use clay much less often when using this stuff on regular basis. The Gyeon's Iron is pH neutral and is safe for your paintwork.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I just used my quick wax spray/clay bar lube, and rubbed and rubbed and all the orange spots eventually came out along with whatever else was in the clearcoat from an entire winters worth of stuff stuck to the paint.

I just need to find the time to do the rear, the front, and the passenger side of the truck as time is tough to come by with a 6 and 8 year old nowadays. Maybe today after work I can quickly clay bar the rest of the truck to get it ready for a polish with the rotary and the final seal.

Quick Reply: I let the clearcoat/paint go, please forgive me . . .