Sponsored By:

Advice Needed Cayenne S vs Audi Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Advice Needed Cayenne S vs Audi Q7

I need some advice regarding a potential purchase. I am considering a 2016-17 Cayenne S vs a 2018 Audi Q7 Premium Plus. I currently have a MB ML350 and am looking to go in a different direction, primarily because the MB is underpowered and handles like a barge, particularly around town. I have had 911s in the past and currently have a 2009 C2S so I am familiar with the Porsche brand and performance at that level. That said, I also realize an SUV will not perform like a 911.

I have read the Q7 handles well, has decent acceleration, has a great interior, and the newest technology. And I know a Cayenne S will handle and accelerate well, seems to have a quality interior, although I am not sure the technology is quite up to the Audi. I guess I am looking for anyone who owns or has driven both vehicles for a side by side comparison in areas such as handling, acceleration, technology, comfort, and reliability. And I also realize this is a Porsche forum but the one thing I have observed on the 911 forums is that they "call 'em as they see 'em", so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a 911 guy, but just bought a Cayenne because it does have similar Porsche DNA that we all love. I will say all cayenne models drive very different - as with the Carrera line up. Only think to do is take em all for a spin and see if she talks to you.

advice I can give is...just like 911, keep rpms high as you drive them. GTS mimics 911 DNA the best imo.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:21 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at them both online. The Cayenne has a shorter wheelbase. The Q7 is longer and can accommodate a third row of seats. They really are two different vehicles. The people who love the Q7 came over from the Suburban.

Can you do a test drive? That should tell you what you need to know.

I was looking for a Macan, did a test drive on a Macan S, but drove the Cayenne Diesel and that was all it took. If the choice had been between a Macan S and a Q7, I might have gone toward the Macan.

Just drive them both and you will know.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I rented a Q7 once but don't know what trim it was. It was nice, spacious, smooth, quiet, but wasn't a Porsche. I now own a Cayenne Turbo S, which definitely is a Porsche. If you get a Cayenne, get one with PDCC and prepare to be amazed.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo and a 2015 Audi Q7. They are both great cars. The similarities and differences are, well, there are no similarities.

The Audi is smooth, large, quiet, incredibly dependable, has a 3rd row and has road presence. Granted we have the one with the V12 body on it in black. What it doesn't do well is handle and brake. It's a heavy vehicle and drives slightly more like a truck than a car. However, it is faster in every way over a standard Cayenne. That standard cayenne is pretty slow and the motor is anemic.

The Cayenne, well, it does everything better than I could ever imagine. It's fast, and by fast incredibly fast. It handles, and by handles, I also have a GT3 and a RS4 tucked in the garage and this car will give them a run for the money. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned and will have one till the day I can no longer drive. It's that good!

The bad with my Cayenne and I'm going to have to list it. It's been in the shop for:

Right rear window shade stopped working - replaced (CPO)
Front diff making low pitch whining - replaced (CPO)
Chassis system failure - Something replaced at a cost of $1,500 (CPO covered). Just went off again on my snow trip, from the cold weather it happens.
PDCC whining for the past two years, finally got the dealer to acknowledge and replace (CPO)
Fuel cap is on it's way out right now, and since it's only $25 I may just do it myself to save from having to ring the car back to the dealer.
Driver's door window switch not working, as new, and replaced (CPO)

If you're looking for a Non Barge SUV then the Cayenne is your only choice, but make sure you get a good warranty and use the vid decoder on your search.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:35 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Two very different cars. Not sure why it's being cross shopped.

A MB GL 550 or 63 is a better option than Q7. Make sure you get one with active curve option for handling and more power.

Cayenne is the best handling SUV in its segment.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
robotraccoon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I tested the 2018 Audi Q7 3.0 TFSI Prestige while car shopping recently. Here's my hot take:

The Q7 has the Cayenne beat on technology and creature comforts. It also has a third-row making it about 10" longer than the Cayenne, IIRC.
The Cayenne S is a Porsche. It drives like a Porsche. It's "fun" to drive. It handles better, and it goes faster. It has nearly 100 more horsepower and is almost a whole second faster 0-60mph than the Q7 3.0.

So it came down to our preference. We went with the fun-to-drive option and took home a well-equipped 2018 Cayenne S a few weeks ago. We regret nothing.

Last edited by robotraccoon; 03-20-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the great feedback. If I go with the Cayenne I plan to go CPO.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm a long time Audi enthusiast (I have even been a moderator on Audizine.com forum). I've Audi S5 and my wife had the Audi Q5. When time came to change her car, I test drove the new Q5 and Q7 and quite frankly - was underwhelmed. I also went to test drive the Macan, which I instantly loved. Drives better and the interior build quality is higher (I love the leather clad dashboard option).

Then my mum told me she is ordering the new 2019 Cayenne and her Cayene 958 is for grabs, I bought it on the spot. Could not be happier. My Audi S5 is gathering dust as I'm driving the Cayenne whenever I can.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

That depends...

We test drove 2 Cayenne S and 3 Q7s before our purchase.

From what I remember, each of the 958.1S were "softer" and lacked the tighter handling feel we were looking for. Neither of them had PASM or ride height.
The Q7 on the other hand (previous generation than the latest one) felt tighter and had better turn in and steering feel. It also had more room and felt peppier ( 3.0T)

For our specific needs I would have picked a nicely equipped Q7 over a 958.1 Cayenne S..
Old 03-22-2018, 11:21 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

I shopped the new Q7 before buying the CGTS. The new Q7 is very nice but was too large since I don't need a 3rd row. The Q7 is on the new chassis and has the next gen electronics. The 2019 Cayenne is on the same chassis and likely has the same next gen electronics. So there is a generation difference between the current Q7 and the 958.2. That being said I much preferred the CGTS due to handling, performance and design of the interior even though Audi has always had top of the line interior. It's really more what you are looking for. The Q7 is a better family car with the increased room and electronics available. I have both drove and ridden in the Q7 and find it to be very nice but more towards luxury versus the sportiness of the Cayenne. If one looks at the VW portfolio the VWs are entry and mainstream, Audi the higher end luxury with Porsche geared more towards luxury performance.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

If you need a third row or are on a budget, the Q7 is a very nice choice. If you are after dynamics, the Cayenne is the only choice.

And you can not compare the precious gen Q7 to the new one. WORLDS difference.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:04 AM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2017 Q7 which replaced a '13 Q7. As was said, just a world of difference. I suspect that the Q7 will drive lighter than the Cayenne. The Q is over 500 lbs lighter than previous. It's not a sports car but it performs very well IMHO especially compared to the old one. Likely doesn't perform as well as the Cayenne S but I suspect better than the base Cayenne. The tech is very good but to be honest the virtual dash loses some of the cool factor after about a week. If you need the cargo capacity and a 3rd row the Q is a great choice. If we didn't need it we might have gone Cayenne. Overall very happy with it. It's my wife's daily driver. Great long range hauler for a family.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 AM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

The other thing I will add is that you get a lot of standard equipment and option packages for much less than the Cayenne S. With the discount I was at $66k for my car and it's well equipped. Equivalent CS will be $90k sticker. My sticker was $71k
Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
The other thing I will add is that you get a lot of standard equipment and option packages for much less than the Cayenne S. With the discount I was at $66k for my car and it's well equipped. Equivalent CS will be $90k sticker. My sticker was $71k
I have a nearly 6 year old CD, not fixed yet. Great daily driver, showing a bit of its age.
Agree with PUZZ1 re. value/content of Q7. On Canadian configurator, absolutely loaded Q7 would be $100k, again CDN (leather/seat upgrade, air suspension, 4 wheel steer, B&0, night vision, sport pack, list goes on). 2019 Cayenne S $144k, Cayenne base $128k, neither with night vision, fwiw, so not even apples to apples.
New Q7 is super highly rated, Consumer Reports #1 luxury mid sized SUV, and their data shows reliable to boot (for some reason, current Cayenne reliability dropped to 1 out of 5, ?Bratislavia plant issues?), these things aren't made in Germany anymore.
I've never driven a new Q7 (previous gen Q7 TDi sold me on getting my new CD at the time).
Bottom line is probably as stated above, Q7 larger vehicle, more luxury oriented than the new peppers. But could be an awesome family ski trip vehicle, with the extra space and comfort, for a helluva lot less$.
Sadly, probably nothing short of the new CTT (or new CGTS when it arrives) would be able to replicate the low down torque shove I'm used to from my ol' 13 CD, not to mention fuel econ, rendering it probably the perfect daily driver for my geography.
Will probably keep 'er, centre console avalanche of buttons and all.

Interestingly, saw super sedan comparo , Car and Driver

https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test

Spoiler alert! Panamera turbo placed 4th out of 4, and it is be the lighter, lower version of the CTT. They weren't a fan of the new controls either.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed Cayenne S vs Audi Q7